Advice on RAM please

wolfko

I'd like to upgrade my RAM to 32 GB.There have been times when people said 4 x 8 GB is better than 2 x 16 GB. Is this still valid? And if I opt for 4 x 8 will it be okay to buy two exactly the  same 2 x 8 GB sets (same manufacturer, exactly the same type, same series etc.)? Some people say never to use sticks together, which are not out of same package, even if two packages are exactly the same. I'm asking because where I live it is hard to find a 4 x 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 2133 set. 2 x 16 GB is no Problem to get though.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi wolfko. I don’t think there’s any difference between 4 sticks of ram or two sticks of ram, that is if you buy them from the same supplier. They are both 32 gig of ram. But one thing is I have heard especially using just the two sticks it’s easier to fit the cooler to your Cpu as some coolers fit real low on the M/Board . I take it your thinking about the new sim as I have been. At the moment I’m just hoping my system will be able to cope, maybe not at full resolution but to be ok until I have the chance to update my computer. Thanks Derek.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi wolfko. I don’t think there’s any difference between 4 sticks of ram or two sticks of ram, that is if you buy them from the same supplier. They are both 32 gig of ram. But one thing is I have heard especially using just the two sticks it’s easier to fit the cooler to your Cpu as some coolers fit real low on the M/Board . I take it your thinking about the new sim as I have been. At the moment I’m just hoping my system will be able to cope, maybe not at full resolution but to be ok until I have the chance to update my computer. Thanks Derek.

Thank you very much Derek, much appreciated.

2 x 16GB seems the way to go for a number of reasons - there are potential minor gains going with quad channel but it seems less so in gaming. If you get 2 x 16gb, you have the option of upping to 64gb in total down the line if you ever feel held back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Wolfko,

Just to chime in.

I am now upgrading my system like you and have just ordered 2 more 8gb sticks of RAM to go with the 2 already in the system. Same make, CL rating etc

This will now give me 32gb over 4 sticks. Just a little way to shave off some cost...

Dave

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 2:31 PM, davenicoll said:

Hello Wolfko,

Just to chime in.

I am now upgrading my system like you and have just ordered 2 more 8gb sticks of RAM to go with the 2 already in the system. Same make, CL rating etc

This will now give me 32gb over 4 sticks. Just a little way to shave off some cost...

Dave

Dave,

Thank you for ypur response. I only  had 2 x 4GB in my system, so I couldn't utilize the old sticks any more. I also wanted to upgrade the RAM frequency to match my MOBO's capabilities.

In the meantime I have bought 4 x 8GB and I am very happy with it.

On 8/19/2020 at 7:37 PM, Donka said:

2 x 16GB seems the way to go for a number of reasons - there are potential minor gains going with quad channel but it seems less so in gaming. If you get 2 x 16gb, you have the option of upping to 64gb in total down the line if you ever feel held back.

Donka, thanks for your ideas. Unfortunately my rather ancient MOBO supports only a  max of 32GB RAM. Otherwise I probably had followed your advice.

• 10 months later...

i have 3g of DDR3 installed and want to get some more. The max band width on the ram installed PC3-10700 (667 MHz) What i want to know is do i have to match the bandwidth of the old ram when getting new? if i buy ram with a higher max bandwidth will the new ram only run as fast as the old ram is able to run when maxed out???

On 7/31/2021 at 6:31 PM, elizabeth0001 said:

i have 3g of DDR3 installed and want to get some more. The max band width on the ram installed PC3-10700 (667 MHz) What i want to know is do i have to match the bandwidth of the old ram when getting new? if i buy ram with a higher max bandwidth will the new ram only run as fast as the old ram is able to run when maxed out???

Hi,

In short, yes, you would have to match the existing RAM if you were simply going to add more RAM.  It may be worth getting entirely new RAM, depending on the specs of your motherboard.  It is your motherboard and processor in your system that will determine what type of RAM you can install.  If you take a look at your motherboard manufacturer website, or elsewhere online, you will find a manual for your motherboard, or simply specs, which will show what type and amount of RAM you can install.  You say you have 3GB currently, which sounds kind of low, as most modern systems these days are running 16GB, and up to 32GB or 64GB.

If you just want to add more RAM, then yes, you would need to match the new RAM to your existing RAM.