Weird patchwork squares everywhere

Hi Guys,

Had a mysterious loss of fsx data yesterday.  I let steam verify files and it reinstalled 3.3 gb data.  when I fired it up I was getting these weird square patchwork effects everywhere.  So I went in to Orbx central and verified everything.  Global base, Vectors Buildings, trees, and the openlc stuff I have for europe and north america.  It reported all was well so I fired up fsx again, but nothing has changed.  I guess the next thing will be to do an uninstall of all Orbx files but thought I'd check on here in case someone has had the same problem and solved it. 

I've attached a shot right next to Glasgow Airport EGPF Scotland.  There square patches of 'sky'? 'water'? I don't know what it is but it's not usually there.  There are also huge forests where there normally are a few trees.

Anyway, hope someone can shed some light or its a massive reinstall for me :(

Thanks

Robert

weird squares.jpg

Just as an additional comment, on checking the size of my FTX Global directory it's only 100 mb and contains the folder FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS.  This then has two subfolder, Texture 62mb and Scenery 38mb.  I mention this because on the Orbx Central page for Global Base it says it will be over 5GB once installed.  Other folders are FTX_OLC 43gb, FTX_EU 16gb, FTX_Vector 13gb, FTX_NA 12gb, Scripts 5.5gb.

Don't know if this has any bearing on the subject but thought it might shed some light.

Hi there,

So worked through the fix, ran FSX:Steam and it did some building and generating and then started to load.  Got to 80% (Auto-gen) and crashed to desktop.  Tried twice with same results.  Going to leave it as it's 02.36 here and I'm done in.  Will have another look tomorrow.  Thanks

Hi guys,

So finally gave up and uninstalled fsx:steam but before I did I copied my Orbx folder out to safety.  So now I've got fsx:steam installed again. I'm wondering once I copy the Orbx folder back into the game folder what do I need to do to connect it with the scenery library?   I'm seriously hoping I don't need to re-install all that too :)

Hi

You should be able to go in Orbx Central to help\settings and run the sync simulator function.

Then do a verify files of your Global range of products such as Global base, TreesHD, and BuildingsHD if you have.

I would also do a verify files of the Orbx Libraries and ObjectFlow.

Hi,

So i've just been through the process you outline above.  Replaced the terrain.cfg file with the one in the link. Verified my downloads. Ran the sync simulator. Started up flight sim and I'm still getting the patchwork quilt effect.  Now before I reinstalled Orbx I checked that the sim was working right, which it was.  So I'm thinking some of the Orbx downloads must have been corrupted.  But I don't understand why they aren't showing up when i verify the downloads.  Very strange.  I've now deleted Orbx stuff from the scenery library and I'm back to stock fsx scenery with no glitches.  So now I'm wondering should I delete all the Orbx files and re-download them? 

Remember I mentioned that my Global Base folder was only 100mb? And yet the page on Central says its over 5gb to download.  Do you know what it should be on the disc?  5gb or 100mb once installed?

Anyway, I thank you for your help and suggestions.  Hopefully, get to the bottom of it sooner or later :)

Hello,

nowhere in your last post did you mention deleting or renaming the lclookup.bgl file

and running verify files for the Orbx Libraries.

Perhaps that is why there was no change.

There is no "Global Base" folder, in FSX, Global Base overwrites default files and adds some

OLC folders.

Hi Nick,

Right, didn't know that about Global Base.  I did rename the .bgl file and eventually realized I hadn't verified the Orbx libraries so that's got rid of the patchwork quilt. Now I just need to work out why I can't get fsx to run with dx10 preview checked.  I used to use SteveFx but fsx won't load any flights while using dx10fix so I'm running without that for the moment.  I'm just about to post another question regarding Seattle Taccoma as the runways are all underground at the moment :)  I'll eventually get round to flying LOL.   Thanks again for the help.  I really appreciate folks helping me out.

Robert

Hello Robert,

you may well need to visit the Vector Control Panel and disable Vector AEC for KSEA.

The Fixer shouldn't be causing any problems, perhaps it's something else.

Either way, Steve has a support forum at the Avsim forums where you could ask him.

Are  you thinking of getting into fs 2020?  Looks stunning.  Just a pity it requires such a high spec to run it well. Orbx London City looks amazing.

So I've disabled it in Vector and it looks like this.  Is this what you expect it to look like with it raised from the surrounding scenery?  If so that's fine. :)

20200819234925_1.jpg

Archived