SJC Long Frame / Stutter

Just got SJC and have tried a few things, but with an assortment of default aircraft up to the NGXu just taxiing around when looking at the terminal I get a long frame stutter then the sim seems to snap back and catch up. I have the base pack, trees HD, vector, and openLC North America along with Cloudberry OAK and Flightbeam SFO,  disabling OAK and SFO did not fix the issue. I turned off all the options for SJC in the configurator and I still get an awful long frame with this. I checked the manual and make sure my graphic settings match what is recommended and it still stutters very badly. I tried to see if it was just the terminal causing a problem but it seems to be when i look anywhere around the entire SJC airport. if I remove it and go back to default scenery I don't have this problem and I've tried to reinstall it twice with the same results.

I can plus one to the poor night FPS. It looks to mostly be the terminal dynamic lighting, although I havent played with the settings to confirm. But my FPS in the day is around 30 FPS, but at night, and looking at the terminal, drops to 7 FPS with default planes as well.

I tried to stream my experience to my friend on discord, while at SJC at night, and it immediately caused a BSOD.

EDIT: Turning off the dynamic lighting helped MASSIVELY!!!

I have to agree on this.  Performance is abysmal.  I have a similar scenery library as the OP, and a decent mid-range system.  I've tried to remove those items that would further tax my system with no success.    I have other Orbx products that are system testers such as Orlando, Burbank, and San Diego and those all run smooth.  Something in this package is just absolutely sucking the life out of the sim.  This is during the day.  I haven't even tried at night yet.

*side note* No Levi's Stadium, Great America, or even a detailed downtown San Jose without having TE?

Thanks Nick.  If it helps the diagnosis at all, this seems to be one of those products stricken with the 6% terrain loading hang as well.  Also, just tried at night, and the scenery is pretty much unflyable with FPS dropping down to 6-7.  10-11 during the day.  25-30 without SJC installed.

1 hour ago, chrisd6340 said:

I am having stutters at KSJC and also have double jetways, 

Hi Chris,

Double jetways. I thought we caught that in beta.

However, can I ask,

Are you using GSX and did this happen when you arrived at KSJC rather than starting at KSJC?

Thanks for your help.

All the best,

John

Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear that you're having performance issues. These didn't come up in beta testing.

As you're no doubt all aware, dynamic lighting has a significant impact in both P3D v4 and v5. For that reason we broke the DL placement into three sections which you'll see in the control panel.

Basic Apron Lighting (this is essential apron floodlighting)

Extra Apron Lighting (apron lights attached to the terminal building)

Landside Lighting (car parks etc)

My suggestion, if you are having performance issues, is to disable first the Extra Apron Lighting. This is the heaviest of the three options. The aprons will still be adequately lit but you may the terminal building may appear slightly dark in places. If you're still having issues you could also disable Landside lighting.

The Basic lighting option is about as sparse as we can afford to be and still have the aprons lit as they should be.

Cheers,

Greg

1 hour ago, Greg Jones said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear that you're having performance issues. These didn't come up in beta testing.

Thank you.  I don't know how the beta testing didn't reveal some degree of performance hit, even on a high end machine.  At least in comparison against some of the other Orbx heavy hitters.  There's something in there.  Back in the old days, I think they called them memory leaks, but not sure if that has anything to do with anything.  And like the OP, even when settings are disabled or during the day, performance is challenged.  Maybe there is too much PBR going on?  I suggest that, because by experiment, I disabled the SODE_KSJC_Jetways folder.  Now, obviously I had no jetways, but I also had a marked improvement in my performance.

1 hour ago, MDWFlyer said:

I'm not sure how this topic change to dynamic lighting but I'm having these issues with all the options turned off

It would be helpful if you could give us some more information about your systems specs, what control panel options you have enabled, what your graphic settings are and under what conditions (day/night/weather etc) your're encountering performance issues. Also, what aircraft are you using and what is your VRAM usage with and without the airport enabled?

Greg

ASRock Z270 KILLER SLI
32GB DDR4 3200
i7-7700K 4.2GHz LGA
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2 8GB GDDR5

Control options are in accordance with the Orbx guidance, day and night. Default F22, Piper Cub, and NGXu all result in the same Issue

FXAA Off

AA 8xSSAA

Texture Filtering 16x

Texture Res 4096

Vsync Off

Target Frame 50

This is the only addon that I have an issue with and certainly the first Orbx one. All additional settings are off int he configurator.

Z170N - Gaming 5

16GB DDR4 2400

i7-6700K 4.0GHz

GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

Settings are consistent with MDWFlyer

Control Panel

Simple textures

GSE Level 2 unchecked

3D Grass unchecked

Expanded DL unchecked

VRAM usage with scenery 100% maxed

VRAM usage without 65%

I was bored and determined to get this ro work and did some trial and error with BGLs.

3DM_buildings_NoCal_CABlg_1518_4424.bgl removed from the scenery folder has eliminated the long frame.

I did find turning Cars back on in the configurator caused it as well, so for the moment that has solved my problem and makes this usable. I don't know if that helps on your end, but it is simply stunning.

1 hour ago, MDWFlyer said:

I was bored and determined to get this ro work and did some trial and error with BGLs.

3DM_buildings_NoCal_CABlg_1518_4424.bgl removed from the scenery folder has eliminated the long frame.

I did find turning Cars back on in the configurator caused it as well, so for the moment that has solved my problem and makes this usable. I don't know if that helps on your end, but it is simply stunning.

What does disabling the 3DM_buildings_NoCal_CABlg_1518_4424.bgl file remove out of curiosity?

15 minutes ago, chasordod said:

Interesting that in my P3Dv5 installation, this and its partnering KSJC bgl are both "disabled-by-ksjc". Is this a problem with the v4 installer?

Can you screenshot what you're seeing for clarity?

G

Hi Greg,

Apologies for not being clearer, but Nick, ever helpful, has correctly identified the file. I am not at my PC at present, but from memory the second file in the scenery folder disabled when installing KSJC into P3Dv5 is 3DM_buildings_NoCal_CABlg_1518_4424_KSJC.BGL.disabled-by-ksjc.

It seems this this may not be happening for some in P3Dv4. KSJC is working well for me despite the complexity of the San Francisco Bay Area.

If you still need a screenshot, I will attend to it when I get back.

Charles

2 hours ago, chasordod said:

Hi Greg,

Apologies for not being clearer, but Nick, ever helpful, has correctly identified the file. I am not at my PC at present, but from memory the second file in the scenery folder disabled when installing KSJC into P3Dv5 is 3DM_buildings_NoCal_CABlg_1518_4424_KSJC.BGL.disabled-by-ksjc.

It seems this this may not be happening for some in P3Dv4. KSJC is working well for me despite the complexity of the San Francisco Bay Area.

If you still need a screenshot, I will attend to it when I get back.

Charles

OK, that's correct then.

The file is a duplicate of the one included with TE NCA. The KSJC installer disables the the TE version so that we don't end up with duplicated GUIDs.

There's no obvious reason why that file should be the source of performance issues. However, I'll have a closer look at my end and run some tests.

Greg

1 hour ago, Greg Jones said:

OK, that's correct then.

The file is a duplicate of the one included with TE NCA. The KSJC installer disables the the TE version so that we don't end up with duplicated GUIDs.

There's no obvious reason why that file should be the source of performance issues. However, I'll have a closer look at my end and run some tests.

Greg

Thanks, for what it's worth I found enabling cars also does the same thing.

Amongst being performance saving, the buildings just don't line up well at all on NCA (non-TE) landclass.  That's to be expected.  Maybe I missed some sort of ortho underlay, but if not, the buildings may just be better left out all together.  I would certainly support the TE downtown buildings incoroorated though and a Levi Stadium.

On 8/2/2020 at 2:06 PM, medx421 said:

Thank you.  I don't know how the beta testing didn't reveal some degree of performance hit, even on a high end machine.  At least in comparison against some of the other Orbx heavy hitters.  There's something in there.  Back in the old days, I think they called them memory leaks, but not sure if that has anything to do with anything.  And like the OP, even when settings are disabled or during the day, performance is challenged.  Maybe there is too much PBR going on?  I suggest that, because by experiment, I disabled the SODE_KSJC_Jetways folder.  Now, obviously I had no jetways, but I also had a marked improvement in my performance.

With regards to the double jetways, I had them too.  To resolve it on my end, I removed the SODE_data folder from the \KSJC San Jose International Airport\Orbx\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KSJC folder and that fixed it.  It seems like there was a conflict with the KSJC SODE files in the SODE program folder and the Orbx airport folder.  I had double jetways when arriving into KSJC and also when beginning a new flight.  Anyway, hope this helps. 

I really think more people should be running GPU monitoring when tuning their systems for particular scenery and scenarios.

When I see a configuration using a Nvidia 1070 GPU running 8xSSAA @ greater than 30 fps, you can pretty much guarantee the GPU is going to max out and kill the frame rate.

How do I know? I run monitoring on my 1070 Ti (overclocked to 2 Ghz) and when I run 8xSSAA that's exactly what happens, the GPU maxes out to 100% and the frame rate suffers for it.

And that's when running @ a 30Hz vsync (so 30 fps sync'd to the display) - which works really well to deliver smoothness while greatly reducing GPU load on a given configuration.

GPU monitoring has shown myself that a 1070 (mine at least) running a 30 Hz vsync @ 1080p can reliably support 4xSSAA in practically all weather with most UI settings to the right, if I go to 1440p 2xSSAA is needed for the same level of stability.

So my recomendation is monitor the GPU when trialling and tuning settings, the majority of GPUs typicailly have an associated application to perform such, e.g. as I have a ASUS 1070 Ti I use GPU Tweak II.

Cheers

Still have double, not loading at airport and flying into field they still show up, made some changes in the options and still with lower settings having severe stuttering in frames, can go to another area and have smoothness.

2020-8-8_6-1-17-267.jpg

2020-8-8_6-1-33-968.jpg

• 2 months later...

Has there been any fix for this airport?  I just purchased it today and have unchecked all of the options in the configuration and still have jerking and stutters at this airport.  So until there is a fix I have disabled this airport in my scenery library.

On 10/28/2020 at 1:07 AM, jfwharton said:

Has there been any fix for this airport?  I just purchased it today and have unchecked all of the options in the configuration and still have jerking and stutters at this airport.  So until there is a fix I have disabled this airport in my scenery library.

+1

Archived