Farewell Qantas 747

MurrayD

Today, Wednesday 22 July sees the final flight of a Qantas 747. QF747 is departing Sydney YSSY at 2pm (AEST), conducting a fly-over of Sydney Harbour, then onward to the Mojave boneyard. The Qantas 747 is the reason I became a pilot. Though I didn't end up flying her (or even flying fixed wings for that matter - I'm a helicopter pilot) she inspired me, and no doubt many others to marvel at the wonder of flight. So from one very sad and grateful aviator I want to say thank you your Majesty. You will be missed from our skies.

Two passes over Sydney Harbour and the Bridge then down to Wollongong to pass over the HARS Museum then farewell.

Couple of Fedex Freighters and Qantas 737-800 in a holding pattern while all this happened.

farewell.JPG

10 minutes ago, chumley said:

Two passes over Sydney Harbour and the Bridge then down to Wollongong to pass over the HARS Museum then farewell.

Couple of Fedex Freighters and Qantas 737-800 in a holding pattern while all this happened.

farewell.JPG

I live in Kiama! I was watching the radar hoping they would extend just that little bit further...... :( If it wasn't for school pickups I would have been there. Oh well. I listened to LiveATC and the controllers gave her a very nice send off on behalf of all Australians. Time to pop the cork and toast her journey. The Queen is dead.... LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

Ahhh !! - memories:'(

I first flew in this baby - as a Qantas passenger at the end of 1971 - and the difference from the 707

was chalk and cheese. Only Concorde came close to the Queen of the Skies -  for flying comfort - and thrills

Now - I want to get my hands on the one in MS flight Sim - but since I am Keeping P3D - I want

the Just Flight version of the Series 200 for that sim.

I have to admit to being favoured in my job - to travel the World on business - and the pleasure of

most of that over 12 years - doing it in the pointy bit -  clocking a million in that aircraft - and as a regular

Qantas Pax - spending some of that time in the jump seat.

I enjoyed many hours - reducing the boring hours of flying as a passenger - not only in that 1st class -

but in that wonderful Qantas  "Captain Cook Lounge" up the stairs - regrettably lost when the series 400 was

introduced to usher in a larger Business class area.

Only Pan-Am - came close to the quality of that lounge - in that space - only because it was a dining room;)

Captain Cook Lounge.jpg

2 hours ago, John Dow said:

Check it out now... what a brilliant Goodbye!!!  Shame Fightradar24 doesn't show the track in red

QFBye1.thumb.jpg.3e08073895fb8945f2ba91487a6427a6.jpg

It’s a shame they couldn’t get it up around the 43000 - 45000ft + mark or it would be in red

• 2 weeks later...

Archived