announcement Orbx and Microsoft Flight Simulator

1 minute ago, Martin Poole said:

I have been Testing MSF2020  from the start in my humble opinion there is  still a need for Orbx True earth type products  in some places .

True Earth with seasons!

• Like 1

"Everything out of the box from FS2020 is already far better than every addon i have seen for P3D or XPlane. "

If that is true then MSFS2020 might be something less than a good business proposition for third party scenery developers. I certainly think it's been a factor in Xplane that some of the standard sceneries are so good that sales of add ons haven't been as good as they might be. Orbx has played the niches well, both TE and the smaller airports in the UK and the US which often aren't of a good standard out of the box. But for your standard user coming up with $30 for an airport if the out of the box is already pretty good doesn't encourage huge sales. Yes you're right it raises the bar for developers and potentially they have some better tools but if the eye candy is reasonable getting people to open their wallets for a little more isn't easy.

20 minutes ago, hartson said:

"Everything out of the box from FS2020 is already far better than every addon i have seen for P3D or XPlane. "

If that is true then MSFS2020 might be something less than a good business proposition for third party scenery developers. I certainly think it's been a factor in Xplane that some of the standard sceneries are so good that sales of add ons haven't been as good as they might be. Orbx has played the niches well, both TE and the smaller airports in the UK and the US which often aren't of a good standard out of the box. But for your standard user coming up with $30 for an airport if the out of the box is already pretty good doesn't encourage huge sales. Yes you're right it raises the bar for developers and potentially they have some better tools but if the eye candy is reasonable getting people to open their wallets for a little more isn't easy.

There is no way the default airports (but the few mentioned in their release date statement) is going to be even near today's P3D or XP11 payware quality. I am betting at best for something of the quality of a default field within an Orbx region. And I doubt they can  even do that for every field in the world.

Edited by merlinux
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, merlinux said:

There is no way the default airports (but the few mentioned in their release date statement) is going to be even near today's P3D or XP11 payware quality. I am more betting at the best of something of the quality of a default field within an Orbx region. And I doubt they can  even do that for every field in the world.

True.

But who has the economic resources to buy all these airports? I have always wondered how viable Orbx's economic model for these airports is. How many have purchased AYPY, YWOL

or PAHO? Did Orbx make a profit? But I have been wrong once or twice before...:-)

Apart from the real big airports missing in MSFS I would like Orbx to focus more on scenery enhancements. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dilo said:

True.

But who has the economic resources to buy all these airports? I have always wondered how viable Orbx's economic model for these airports is. How many have purchased AYPY, YWOL

or PAHO? Did Orbx make a profit? But I have been wrong once or twice before...:-)

Apart from the real big airports missing in MSFS I would like Orbx to focus more on scenery enhancements. 

They surely ruined me ahahah :) I just keep buying those small random places. This FlyJuly event even got me deeper in there. But I don't regret it, they deserve every bit of it. I have always believed that this kind of visual software (be it simming or gaming) is more akin to art than something like a word processor. And when you buy art that you like it is always a good feeling whatever the price is.

And btw I own all of those and PAHO and AYPY are amongst my favourites in my Orbx library.

Edited by merlinux
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, hartson said:

I certainly think it's been a factor in Xplane that some of the standard sceneries are so good that sales of add ons haven't been as good as they might be. 

With all due respect, the default XP scenery done by LR itself is nothing but awful. What is good looking in XP are many of the default airports, which have been developed by the community over the years and have been included into the sim by LR.

I wouldn't use XP without Orbx TE regions, just like I wouldn't have used P3d and FSX without Orbx sceneries.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, wolfko said:

With all due respect, the default XP scenery done by LM itself is nothing but awful. What is good looking in XP are many of the default airports, which have been developed by the community over the years and have been included into the sim by LM.

I wouldn't use XP without Orbx TE regions, just like I wouldn't have used P3d and FSX without Orbx sceneries.

i agree with that 100%.

48 minutes ago, dilo said:

True Earth with seasons!

TE has no seasons, neither in P3d nor in XP for reasons which have been explained by JV many times. And I doubt that these reasons won't be relevant for MSFS too.

4 minutes ago, wolfko said:

TE has no seasons, neither in P3d nor in XP for reasons which have been explained by JV many times. And I doubt that these reasons won't be relevant for MSFS too.

My Netherlands TE has seasons. And what JV has explained many times does not necessarily hold for eternaty. 

13 hours ago, annacico said:

I have been Orbx’s CEO since September 2019

How wonderful that an "Anna" and not a "John" is the CEO of Orbx.

I can now tell my two daughters and two grandaughters, "See? Everything and anything is possible! Even in gramps 'toy'! "

Thank you for the good news of our ability to continue our enjoyment of Orbx in whatever platform is thrown at us!

Let me use this opportunity to make a "plea" for South American airports!

Muchas gracias por todo!

Roberto

PS: Non parlo Italiano!

• Haha 1

Hello Anna,

I would like to say thank you Anna for this amazing news. Been with Orbx from the start and have everything Orbx installed on my PC. Great news also that Orbx will be part of this exciting new venture. I am also an alpha tester for the new MSFS and its going to be an amazing journey  when released.

Once again, Thank you Anna for the great news. Keep up the amazing work team.

regards

Sam

• Like 1

@Wolfko yes, the enhancements were produced by the community, but that is what is now available when you acquire Xplane, not the original Laminar work. And that work has reduced the need for payware scenery. I've just completed a flight from Toronto (payware) to Dulles (stock) and frankly there's not a whole lot of difference in the quality. That community part is another thing that gets missed by the MSFS promoters. That's a big part of Flight Simulation. How that works out in MSFS (or rather when) is something we'll need to see. One thing is by having such a strict NDA around the testing its difficult to know exactly what the deal is going to be around MSFS, in particular the cost. Are there going to be additional costs - for example an updated data set like Navigraph. What's the entry price of new aircraft and scenery going to be. How default are the default airports? What is the difference in the experience between someone with a high end computer and something more basic. What's the impact of lower bandwidth on the representation of the scenery? I keep reading about this amazing journey but I do wonder what the investment in hardware and other stuff is needed to get it looking like the MS promo material. I've got a high end rig myself and despite where I live decent bandwidth. But there's a good investment to get that. Hardcore simmers won't blink (or blink much) to get to the level, but there are going to be a lot of user who will have a different experience. If the hardware does drive how good the scenery looks that's also going to apply to payware as well. Yes, in time average hardware will catch up and improve the general experience but MS aren't known for their patience in this business. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NeilG said:

Hello

I was just wondering how you planned to fit into the new sim. I have been alpha testing MSFS and the scenery is already very good. I was wondering how Orbx could bring further improvements to it.  Thank you

Neil

I was thinking for those who will purchase MSFS 20 Standers Version could use Orbx to develop detail Airport for those they did not get in MSFS, what do you think?

I've been playing the alpha tonight, and whilst the NDA prevents me from making direct comments on what I see, I can tell you that there's no shortage of opportunities for Orbx. Flying over London, I could recognise some of the landmarks, but others... Require attention. (A famous cathedral, for example.)

Onwards!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I've got videos ready to roll (on release date) covering Orbx TE in P3D V5 and XP11 and MSFS default.  I think there is plenty of room to add some Orbx visuals to MSFS.

Cheers, Rob.

Please ignore my ignorance, I'm curious, what kind of stuff are you developing?

13 hours ago, GrahamTMuir said:

Hi all,

I'm just gonna come right out and say it! - So releived to hear this news because I am an Orbx fan (me luv yoo long time) and following the diz-ast-urr of P3D V5 I'm looking for a new platform; bought it (V5) tried it, failed miserably and reverted back to 4.5. And that's fine, keep the money.

Orbx and Microsoft?? Outstanding.

Kindest Regards

Graham

Graham,

Couldn't agree more...my V5 is sitting on a spare drive, waiting for LM to FIX up this Beta version...no refund from LM that is for sure. Back to V4 with all my Orbx installed...now waiting for the 19th Aug

Choppa

Edited by choppa

7 hours ago, dilo said:

In case Orbx has gotten special treatment, is MS obliged to give equal treatment to every 3rd party developer? 

7 hours ago, AURORA said:

Hi, I'm a little confused.

You confirm that you are already developing content for the new MSFS or you confirm that you intend to do so.
I'm sorry if my question seems a little forward, but this official statement, hard as it is to believe, has surprised the entire development community that has no connection to Orbx.

Especially because those of us who are part of the group of third party developers in the MSFS forum (and they are many and very famous) who have been involved in this since the first minute, we were not aware of your participation and especially when the SDK, as far as we know, is not yet fully operational and today take an airport to the simulator with the tools we have because it is not possible.
And you will understand that this has unleashed some discomfort among the community, especially if you have received some special treatment or some SDK that others do not have.
I hope you understand my point, it's not a personal attack or anything like that.

It's just surprising.

Best Regrads.

No special treatment and same SDK as everyone else.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Hi Anna,

a belated welcome to the Orbx family. I'm a happy and proud member here since 2006 and like many of us, I own many if not most Orbx products for both P3D and XP11. I know John Venema from his first steps into the FS9 world. If you allow me to ask this question, if you are since Sept. 2019 the new CEO, what has happened to John?

Hi and thanks for the welcome. :-)

John is still with Orbx and he is also one of the directors of a newly formed Board. Never too far! :-)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John Hargreaves said:

What if MSFS is full of generic autogen and TE has much more accurate buildings and thousands more POIs?

Great point John.

This is also what we will consider once the full version is launched.

We love making (awesome) TE regions!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hartson said:

As an Xplane user and fan or Orbx I'm pleased to see that you are growing your business. It's also clear from the posts on this and other forums that there's a lot of enthusiasm from the simming community for the new MS simulator. Realizing I'm in the minority I have some concerns about MSFS. I will admit that in much of the publicity material its looked very good, but I do wonder how much the experience is going to differ for PC users based on the capabilities of their hardware and their internet access. While hard core simmers tend to have very good rigs for MSFS to be a success I believe that it's going to need to widen the net of users. Some users, with less powerful hardware/less capable internet access might be put off at the beginning between the difference in their game rendering and the videos that are posted online.

I do worry that many of the good names in the Flight Sim industry are going to go running off after this new business opportunity which may, or may not succeed. There has to be a concern that the other simulators (and of course I'm worried about Xplane) are going to be starved of new content as focus moves to MSFS. There's also a danger for the commercial companies working on MSFS. Microsoft don't exactly have an unblemished reputation with the community. While I don't believe this will be dropped as MS Flight was we'll all need to see Microsofts commitment over time to develop the program. Getting the balance right between a game (which I believe most MSFS users will be looking for) and a true simulation is going to be difficult to balance. Also how big is the market going to be for expensive add-ons in MSFS?

So, MSFS may well succeed but I'd suggest that Orbx and others don't bet the farm on it. Other add on providers have managed to hack off their loyal community (Carenado jumps to mind) and that's a road to avoid. It's fine to be looking forward to MSFS2020 and for many existing flight sim users this may be a big step for the hobby. Remember thought that the hard core simmers will be perhaps 10% of the audience for this new program. General gamers and their opinions on MSFS2020 will likely have the loudest voice. 

We will definitely continue to add content for and support XP and P3D. MSFS will bring in new users: some will be gamers, others simmers. We hope some of the gamers (who may only access the sim for curiosity) will turn into "hard core" simmers (or maybe even soft-core? ;-) ).

I hope this will expand the universe of sim users, so it's not just us growing, but the whole industry.

That would be fab!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1