Fix 6% freeze on Terrain Loading

Hi Support,

I own all the Orbx products for FSX and I like many avid FSX people have problems with the dreaded 6% freeze at loading Terrain. I have tuned my FSX installation to the max and it is great. Increased performance and loading dramatically. Anyone wants the tune ups let me know.

Anyway the 6% had me stumped so I un-checked all scenery in the Scenery file and just loaded the basics. All worked great and went thru like a breeze. Decided to start with my Orbx products in particular Australia first. Orbx Libraries 25 seconds but I live with this. Got the Australia V2 loading and breezes thru and finished with the Holgermesh. Started the airports in alphabetically order and that's when the troubles started. 6% went nuts and went worse the more I loaded. OK so I started again but added a little code to the FSX.cfg file to prompt when there are problems with terrain loads and flash up what he problem is. Bingo, Scenery Library Object Not Found. I worked out the scenery's causing the problems and un-installed and re-installed each one but still the same problem. Also verified the files and all ok. I'm only half way thru the Australia airports and here are the problem ones:

CANBERRA

Objects not found:

500D9845-EC5F-469D-8D40-BF1841EE394C

6019BFDC-1B3B-463F-892C-AE71B1CE853b

2D968C22-8A92-4858-9EC9-29DA3B840213

85BEFB81-4F73-4DE2-9A33-9C8F347FD602

CAIRNS

Objects not found

57604AF9-FCAB-4C4B-A6D0-34C95192D7E3

947B38C1-EEA7-48EF-9600-0869AC2397C2

BRISBANE

Objects not found:

D777E320-E488-4B0F-BA8B-BEC7CB181B03

0544D382-438B-43F6-AE90-AAAD9F85A83C

JANDAKOT

Strange here. Error messages are:

Failed to load texture BHD_E0_1A.DDS

Failed to load texture BHD_E0_1A_LM.DDS

Some notes:

1. Have tested thru to the letter J airports only with the above problems.

2. If you take all the airports out the Scenery file with errors and load everything else including libraries and Aust V2 the 6% lasts about 30 seconds and I don't have a powerful machine

3. The errors can stop the load between 5 and 10 seconds per error so if you have ten of these at 10 seconds the freeze will increase by 100 seconds (max)

4. These errors also cause loading problems along the way and slow down the load at:

- Loading Auto-Generated Scenery

- Loading Air, Land and Sea Traffic.

If you take these airports out, the load goes thru very smoothly at these points.

It would be great to provide screen dumps of each error message but sure how to do that in full screen mode.

Can anyone shed some light on how to fix/correct/install/add, these missing objects. I will test some more tonight and post any others that come up.

Like you I also have the 6% problem.

Have just resigned myself to it.
I just leave FSX to it, & go & do something for 20 min.

The VAS OOM problem is always going to be an issue for those of us still using FSX but we live with it.

Over the years I probably tried every tweek & tune up I've come across but Id be very interested to compare what tune ups you found worked for you.

Cheers...Kim

Hi Kim,

I had the dreaded 20 minute load but decided to fix this as it should not be happening. I got the 6% down to around 20 to 30 seconds and that includes a full load of Orbx Australia Scenery (excluding the problem ones) and Orbx Aust airports. Works really well. Needs some tweaking to do this. You should not have this problem. By the way I also got rid of OOM errors with my tweaks and fixes.

I have found three more problem Australia airports which I will place on the forum tonight. Will start on the NA scenery and airports tonight and see what comes up.

I hope the technical people at Orbx have a solution to the missing BGL files.

If you are interested, I can list all the mods I have made to scenery/config to speed things up.

Regards

Bigfella

Hello Technical People,

Further to Part 1 of this trail, I have added the last of the Australian Scenery and have the following issues:

MELBOURNE:

Objects not found:

964FCC2F-C544-4F33-BAC7-768ADD7E4B68

22121BD0-5050-4E2F-9D72-001E5DC21B49

B0A76954-D847-4B1A-B00D-1A74027BDB18

AF2B3D098-0457-4FB4-8B33-AAC8635EC0A5 - Note this came up before loading Melbourne and I suspect it is part of the Orbx Libraries

REFUGE COVE:

Objects not found:

CEC49BCA-A6D8-47AA-B7C4-A6F621CB010D

8850A460-0DB4-49D8-A9D0-ED51A6639DE6

Strange one here:

MOORABBIN:

"Failed to Load - ORBX_MELBOURNE_MCG_AFL.DDS"

"Failed to Load - ORBX_MELBOURNE_MCG_AFL_LM.DDS"

The only product I had not verified was Australia V2 so I thought I would do this. Got the following error when verifying:

"Error - This product cannot be installed as there are incompatible products installed. They will need to be uninstalled before the installation can proceed."

Hoping that someone can shed some light on how to fix the above.

Regards,

Bigfella

Thanks Nick. About to uninstall Holgermesh and retry.

Do you need Holgermesh if you have Australia V2 installed?

Also if you have Australia V2 does it include Tasmania Demo?

Any thoughts on the missing terrain files?

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the more you load the slower it gets. I have Australia and the non error Airports loading in 90 seconds from scratch. Its the ones with errors that causes the problems. Can you shed any light on this missing BGL files and how I can get these installed.

Note re-installation of the the airports and verification does not fix the problem.

Regards,

Bigfella

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Orbx Team,

I submitted two requests under the fix 6% freeze on Terrain loading. I have not heard back on any of these issues yet. Just wondering if there is any solution to the problem.

Regards,

Bigfella

Hello,

I have merged your three topics.

The problem of the pause at 6% is as old as the simulator.

It certainly is not helped along by the necessity to continually cancel error messages.

I have read much over the years about loading times, but one of the least sensible ideas

was to disable the FSX preload function, something that in fact addresses the loading time.

As soon as you select a flight in FSX, it starts to load in the background.

Eventually, one can click on Fly Now and it starts instantly.

FSX-SE does not seem to preload, presumably its developers decided that it was not needed.

The biggest single influence on initial loading times that I can detect is the speed of the

drive that contains the simulator itself. I have just acquired an M2 SSD and all three

simulators, FSX Gold, P3D v4 and P3D v5, take substantially less time to load than they did on their HDD.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply. Happy that you have merged everything. The 6% freeze is as old as the hills but we live with it. I have disabled the pre-load function and it helps. My entire system has SSD drives with everything spread across the drives and this has made a big difference and having a small swap file on one of the non main SSD's makes a difference with FSX being x32bit. I have tweaked the system down to its best and it performs great. Some great tweaks which have made a big difference to the system.

My issue is that some of the Australia scenery in Orbx has some errors in loading (not all). I am still loading the next  batch of files for New Zealand. My little debug program shows where it stops and which BGL it cannot find and shows the pause while FSX tries to find these BGL's. It has a number of paths to try then gives up and chews up valuable time at the 6% load. As I mentioned most of the Australian stuff loads brilliantly and in fact I can load all of Australia (not including the non error sites) and get thru the 6%  freeze in about 90 seconds so I am really pleased with this and off I go flying.

I just need to know why FSX is having problems with some of the Australian sites and in-particular the missing BGL's. Can you shed some light on this. As I have mentioned I have uninstalled the problem ones and re-installed and still get the same errors. If I can get this fixed I will be happy with the 6% load freeze at 90 seconds.

Your thoughts to fixing this would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Bigfella

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

The software is reporting BGL files and they only occur when loading Orbx products as I listed at the start. Any chance you could check these files with your technical people and find out why they are not located when loading.

Regards,

Bigfella

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived