Layering of Orbx entries in AddonOrganizer

Hi Peter

This is not a Lorby tool support forum.

Do you see any issues with your Orbx products when you run your simulator?

Even if someone decided that the visual order Lorby was showing was wrong and advised you to move them, would you then check to see if there was any issues when you ran the simulator? Or would you be happy with just how the list looks?

Well...I tried VERY hard Not to get involved with this but...

@Doug - With all due respect...

Wow, do you consider your answers to be helpful ? Because I thought the purpose of support forums was to be helpful...

Again, with all due respect...It seems you are more concerned with being pompous and playing mind games then offering support.

Try to understand that we all aren't Orbx geniuses and there is considerable confusion over proper scenery layering; (1) with Orbx products alone and (2) with Orbx products integration with other third party software. The OP is looking for help, for support. Did you help him ?

He didn't ask anything about Lorby, he merely used this program to show us his scenery order to get insight from you folks - the people that should know AND be willing and able to help. Please try to keep in mind that we are paying customers - without which, businesses die...

He also isn't concerned with the 'visual order' of his scenery or "just how the list looks". He is attempting to get some direction as to the 'basic' ordering which, I would suggest, would be the best point from which to start, hopefully to get as close to a wonderful simming experience from the beginning. Then, make adjustments as required...

So. Instead of actually offering anything helpful ie; some actual knowledge of the scenery order, or - that being absent - possibly a link to same, it seems that you are suggesting that we should all just throw everything into the sim, then fly and look for issues and then - what - come to the forums for support for a myriad of issues, when if  the scenery order was close to proper from the beginning, the whole experience would be sooo much better with far fewer problems to address.

I'm willing to guess in this case, he didn't come away with anything helpful. In fact, judging from his follow up post, he was NOT impressed with the treatment he received here. I would have felt slighted if it were me...hence this post. I am trying to help...

Then you say "It doesn't matter unless there are specific issues". Show me a simulator that doesn't have 'specific issues'. It matters to us as we spend endlessly on this hobby. All we want is to be able to fly - not be perpetual beta testers and/or problem solvers. There is WAY too much of that out there already...He apparently has had 'specific issues' because (1) he stated "otherwise it doesn't look ok." and (2) he's here - looking for help - for support. Did you help him ?

I'm not being condescending, I am trying to help, to shine a light. We're all supposed to be on the same team. Simming is supposed to be fun, a way to escape reality for a time. This wasn't fun...nor helpful.

I apologize in advance to anyone who may be offended by this post. Again, just trying to help...

Now that I have that off my chest, I to came here looking for help - for support. This thread illustrates my questions:

1.Should there be multiple instances of the same named file in the scenery library ? ie; zBASE (1), zBASE (2), zBASE (3), etc...

2.Is this the proper order for VECTOR, or should VECTOR_AEC be above the other VECTOR files?

TspvMeQ.jpg

Orbx Central sets up the correct order of Orbx sceneries to work with the default simulator sceneries.  Once you bring in an addon like Lorby, you bring in an element of the sim that is not generally within the knowledge base of the Orbx team.  That's why it's better to ask at whatever support forum there is for Lorby.

However I can see that the bottom 8 Orbx sceneries should be above Sarurah at least. The rest of the add ons that aren't Orbx might be OK where they are but we have no way of knowing.

As Doug said, you're using an add on organiser that is designed specifically to manage your sceneries so that's what it should be doing.  Orbx can only manage the Orbx sceneries in a default way and it looks like Lorby Organiser has messed that up.

6 minutes ago, lawlegge said:

1.Should there be multiple instances of the same named file in the scenery library ? ie; zBASE (1), zBASE (2), zBASE (3), etc...

2.Is this the proper order for VECTOR, or should VECTOR_AEC be above the other VECTOR files?

1.  No, only one of each.  

2.  Vector AEC should be just above Default Scenery and Default Terrain layers at the bottom of the scenery list.

Thank you John...seems we're cross-posting...

That answers those questions...

I must have missed something here because I don't see where the OP stated he used Lorby to actually change the order (although he very well could have), and it doesn't look like he is asking anything regarding LORBY's operation. It seems to me he was enquiring about the default layering of Orbx and if the default terrain is integrated with Orbx properly and vice-versa. In fact he stated "just wanted to ask if this default layering which appears after Orbx installation is correct?" I took that to mean, he is wondering about the (default) layering that the Orbx installation produced with regard to the default sim files. I get that different addons can wreak havoc...

I realize Orbx Central is supposed to set up the correct order of Orbx sceneries, but things don't always go as planned in this business and then there is the human factor - to err is human. So we all need help more often than not...

As far as "Lorby Organiser has messed that up.", I'm not sure if that is accurate to say, again, results are only as good as the hand that creates it.

Moving on...

I see under Central/Help 'Sync Simulator'.

(1) Is this something that can reorganize your layering to be correct ?

(2) 'other related settings' - can this be run periodically or is it more of a 'when everything else fails' situation only as a last resort?

(3) Will it consider other third party files or is it just Orbx and default sim oriented ?

On 6/21/2020 at 7:28 PM, Peter Kaminski said:

No one from Lorby told me to move them. Lorby just reading what is in scenery library so Im asking you if this is correct Orbx at the bottom coz this Im not sure, but you dont know so thanks for your time.

Hello Peter,

it seems that there are two main types of add-on scenery library entry, those that substitute P3D files with files from the

external library and those that add files to the simulator that are not already there.

It seems also that the position in the library of the entries that substitute files is not as critical as that of those that add files.

For these reasons, new entries appear in unexpected places in the library and some of them seem to be duplicates, (2), (3)

etc until the full path is read and then it becomes clear that only the name on the left is the same. 

As far as I know Orbx Central only considers Orbx sceneries and the default.  So my suggestion would be to delete all the non Orbx/default scenery layers from the scenery.cfg (the freeware Scenery Config Editor is ideal for this) and then run Orbx Central sync (Under the Settings wheel, Help section).  That will ensure that the Orbx sceneries are correctly configured.  Attention needs to be paid to where the insertion points for new sceneries are set as well.

Noting from there that all the addon airports are above the land class and regional scenery layers, it would be fair to assume that other addon airports can be added above the land class and scenery layers as well.  However any program like a mesh add on etc is likely to be below the Scenery entries, as is shown by the Vector placement within the order.  However, as Orbx doesn't design those airports and there may be unknown exclusions and flattens, not to mention rudimentary airfield modifications within the Orbx regional scenery, only trial and error can say for sure.  

16 minutes ago, lawlegge said:

(1) Is this something that can reorganize your layering to be correct ?

(2) 'other related settings' - can this be run periodically or is it more of a 'when everything else fails' situation only as a last resort?

(3) Will it consider other third party files or is it just Orbx and default sim oriented ?

1. Sync Simulator writes back both scenery.cfg and add-ons.cfg entries.

2. It also writes to the terrain.cfg file and checks all the alterations to the simulator configuration necessary for Orbx products to work as expected.

It can be run whenever the customer experiences a problem or wishes to undo changes that the customer has made.

3. It does not move third party files but it may well insert in game scenery library entries above or below them.

Where the main block of Orbx entries is placed is chosen by the customer, using the Insertion Point function.

Archived