Northern California - Cheers!

SGunard

Downloaded the P3D version of Northern California last night - and "Wow!"

Flew  Cloverdale - Santa Rosa - Napa - Sacramento - Auburn - Blue Canyon - Truckee - Lake Tahoe this morning and the variety and quality of the scenery was amazing.

A great job from the devs - thank you guys - and thanks for the introductory price! :)

One problem is that flying TE makes it hard to go back to Landclass! ;D

I agree. There are some people claiming they don't need TrueEarth, which may apply if they fly tubeliners at FL350 exclusively. For me, as a pure VFR flyer, it's a real gift. I made my maiden flight from San Francisco to Monterey yesterday, and it's indeed a vast improvement over the old FTX NA region (which certainly was good at its time).

I am also impressed about performance being kept between 25-30 fps  with all the fun enabled. Only VRAM may become a bit tight with more than 8 GB already in use (with most sliders at the right, to admit).

Kind regards, Michael

27 minutes ago, Mawson said:

Does that mean we don't need FTX NA anymore?

So far there's only NorCal and Washington available as TE products in P3D for the USA, so you still need Global/Regions for the rest.

18 minutes ago, SGunard said:

So far there's only NorCal and Washington available as TE products in P3D for the USA, so you still need Global/Regions for the rest.

Yes so that's what I mean in that I can now remove FTX region for Northern California and Pacific Northwest as it appears redundant to me now I have TE NC and Washington.

5 minutes ago, Mawson said:

Yes so that's what I mean in that I can now remove FTX region for Northern California and Pacific Northwest as it appears redundant to me now I have TE NC and Washington.

If I remember correctly, TE Washington doesn't cover all of the area covered by PNW, so you'll still need PNW. Don't know if TE NorCal covers exactly the same area as the FTX NorCal. Nick's usual advice is to leave FTX regions installed.

6 hours ago, Mawson said:

Does that mean we don't need FTX NA anymore?

It depends on whether you want seasons or not. The TE products are summer only, while the older regional landclass products have 4 or 5 seasons (the 5th season being hard winter).

5 hours ago, SGunard said:

If I remember correctly, TE Washington doesn't cover all of the area covered by PNW, so you'll still need PNW. Don't know if TE NorCal covers exactly the same area as the FTX NorCal. Nick's usual advice is to leave FTX regions installed.

Right you are. For example, the PNW coverage area extends all the way up the west coast of Canada to meet Pacific Fjords while TE Washington ends just south of latitude 49N. Fortunately, it also picks up the south end of Vancouver Island. If you want to fly in the areas covered by the landclass products and not covered by TE, you'll want to leave them installed. If you don't, and/or you always fly in summer, then it would be worth deleting them.

Archived