No installed simulator was found on your system! Global Light Configurator problem

I reinstalled FSX: SE in a different drive to fix a separate problem (nothing with Orbx) and then reinstalled my Orbx scenery. However I now have a new problem: whenever I attempt to configure my base pack for lighting, I get the error message "No installed simulator was found on your system! FTX GLOBAL Light Configurator will now exit!". I assume this is an issue where the configurator is looking for FSX in the wrong drive, but there is no way to tell the configurator where to look (and no way to set a path to the simulator/install spot anywhere on Orbx central which I find extremely strange). I tried using the FSXRegUtility fix outlined in another forum post but that did not work. Supposedly after the fix I would have an option to choose between simulators in the Orbx Central app, but I did not. Why is my pay ware add-on not working and how do I fix this? There is little to no support I could find on the Internet other than the FSXRegUtility "fix" on this problem. A lot of threads asked the same question but had no answer. Please help, it would be much appreciated.

Great support. Suggesting that I do the same fix that did not work and then ghosting the thread when it doesn't work (surprise!). Thanks. I can't wait until flight sim 2020 comes and I won't have to deal with these awful 3rd party support systems for something like this. What a waste of money, honestly. Inb4 this gets deleted.

Hello,

thanks for your considered input.

The Lights Configurator does indeed follow the registry entry but apparently, it does not see the registry entry for FSX Steam Edition

if it is installed in compatibility mode.

The solution suggested by Doug changes the registry entry of FSX Steam Edition to that of FSX, even if the user has installed it in

compatibility mode.

Here are three scenarios, to show you how the Tweak FS Utility works and that it does work.

In each case, I have deliberately caused an error message, so that you can see what the Configurator is trying to do.

Here is my actual FSX installation, G:\FSX

B.jpg

Here is a randomly chosen location, to illustrate that the Tweak FS Utility does work

and that the Lights Configurator sees the change.

A.jpg

Finally, here is the actual location of FSX Steam Edition on my system to show you that

the Lights Configurator can indeed be made to see FSX Steam Edition.

C.jpg

Here is the Lights Configurator with all FSX Registry entries removed.

D.jpg

Here it is with the FSX Registry entries restored, using the Tweak FS Utility.

E.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived