Curious about dynamic lighting

Louis

Orbz is now giving an option on turning Dynamic lighting off or on with regards to airports . Just wondering how to handle this cause for me in P3D 4 it's a major hit , what's the best way to use this option? leave it on in the sim  ,turn it off, and just use the airport options what's the best way ?And while i'm here for you boys that are into P3D5 did they improve this performance hitter ? thanks Louis  -Alberta 

20 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

I wish you could finally land on an airport at night and have dynamic lighting active, and not only when you're departing.

That's something that is doable but the developer of the individual airport has to take care of  this. My understanding is that the Prepar3d SDK offers two possibilities to control the visibility of the dynamic light, one of them is a setting of the light itself where you can specify how far the light can be seen, but this setting only works if the light is loaded right from the start so only when you're departing from an airport. If you want to make the light appear on approach from a certain distance you need a separate effect controller that tells the light when to become visible. At least that's what was written in a discussion about dynamic lighting at simflight.de when Prepar3d V4 came out and many developers retrofitted their airports with dynamic lighting. I never tried it myself though, haven't worked with dynamic lighting before. 

42 minutes ago, Louis said:

Orbz is now giving an option on turning Dynamic lighting off or on with regards to airports . Just wondering how to handle this cause for me in P3D 4 it's a major hit , what's the best way to use this option? leave it on in the sim  ,turn it off, and just use the airport options what's the best way ?And while i'm here for you boys that are into P3D5 did they improve this performance hitter ? thanks Louis  -Alberta 

If you turn off dynamic lighting in the P3D settings you'll never see dynamic lights anywhere no matter which airport options you choose, the master setting just disregards what you choose at the individual airports. I think P3Dv5 overall performance is a little better with GPU intensive tasks like dynamic lighting than the V4 was. However, from what I've read from several developer discussions, how lights are placed in the scenery has a large impact on the performance. One rule of thumb seems to be that light cones from dynamic lights should never overlap or you'll challenge the rendering engine with the heavy task of determining how both light intensities add to and interact with each other. If you place the lights further apart performance impact is said to be minimal. In your case I'd try turning on dynamic lights in the P3D settings and if you feel that a specific airport performs much worse at night than in the day turn off dynamic lights in the individual airports control panel. 

Archived