Windsock problems summary

Windsock.jpg

Can I just clarify I understand the issue:

1. All Orbx region products use P3D v4 windsocks.

2. P3D v3 can't utilise/display P3D v4 windsocks correctly so all windsocks in all Orbx region products look as shown in above screenshots for all P3D v3 users.

3. The windsocks in NA open landclass use P3D v3 windsocks and display correctly demonstrating it is possible for P3D v3 Orbx customers to have functional windsocks.

4. The advised solution is that Orbx will need to go through every airport in every Orbx region and replace the P3D v4 windsocks with P3D v3 windsocks so that P3D v3 users can have working windsocks.

I was trawling through posts on windsocks issues with P3D v3 and came across this one:

In which in post 8 Ed Correia says:

"As we port the payware airports over to P3Dv3 we are using the opportunity to replace the windsocks with ObjectFlow controlled ones. 

The windsocks at airports placed at the hundreds of airports included with the regions won't be touched as the amount of work required to replace them is something we cannot do now - especially for no extra cost. "

Q1. Does this relate to the issue raised in this topic?

Q2. Is it the case that P3D v3 is old technology and the cost of fixing a problem like the one raised here is too high for Orbx to bear?

Q3. I don't have a problem with that being the case but wonder whether the region products should mention the windsock issue for v3 users in the sales documentation?

Q4. AU v2 is a fairly recent release, how did no one notice in testing that none of the windsocks work in P3D v3?

Q5. After it all it seems as if this issue of windsocks not displaying correctly has been around for years. Was AU v2 even tested with P3D v3? 

This issue was introduced with the last version of Orbxlibs, long after the release of AUv2 where we developed a new animated windsock for v4 & v5.

We have reverted the windsock file in P3Dv3 Orbxlibs to the one originally shipped prior. As far as I recall, the windsock in P3Dv2 & v3 was a static model and did not react to the wind.

I downloaded the Orbx library again and there you go - a 'realistic' windsock at Weston Airport at last. Dead and very unresponsive but if you don't know that the wind is blowing from a different direction then all is good - just don't rely on it for landing/take-off purposes. Thanks.

SoxAX5Q.png

Archived