Lights, Camera, Action! Announcing Hollywood Burbank for P3Dv4+

pjAy7ay.jpg

Welcome to Hollywood! We are enormously excited to announce Hollywood Burbank Airport, a comprehensive airport and cityscene package for Prepar3Dv4 & v5. Seasoned developer Matteo Veneziani has spent the past twelve months (since Olbia Costa Smeralda) creating one of our most expansive airport products to date. Beyond the immediate airport vicinity, the scenery includes a large section of the northern Los Angeles metro area, encompassing the entire San Fernando valley and surrounding mountains. As one of our most requested destinations, an incredible amount of attention has been spent finessing all the details of the airport, including complete PBR textures, unique GSE, vehicles and static aircraft. A key focus of this project has been performance optimization, with ground-breaking techniques implemented to ensure a seamless experience with your favorite addon aircraft. 

Burbank airport is one of the primary airports of the Los Angeles area, with mainline carriers flying to destinations across the US. As the closest airport to downtown LA and the major film studios, it is also highly popular with corporate traffic, as well as being a major cargo hub for FedEx and UPS. Matteo has modeled the airport with incredible attention to detail to both airside and landside aspects. The custom static aircraft can be disabled or enabled via control panel settings, as well as a host of other performance-based preferences. Aside from trans-continental flights to locations such as Atlanta, Chicago, Las Vegas and Denver, Burbank is located a short distance from favorite Orbx destinations such as Palm Springs, San Diego, Santa Barbara and Monterey

Beyond the airport boundary, explore the enormous 1400km2 coverage area. Encompassing the entire San Fernando Valley and surrounding mountain ranges, the extended cityscene component includes dozens of custom landmarks, custom autogen vegetation, high resolution DEM and hand-edited orthoimagery. Special attention has been paid to the film studios, commercial areas and Universal Studios theme park to the south of the airport. Cross over the Hollywood Hills to explore the Griffith Observatory and iconic Hollywood sign. All non-residential buildings have been created using new modelling techniques, ensuring a balance between high detail, unique content (no repeated roof textures) and accuracy. As well as the main airport, the scenery also includes several rooftop helipads, and most importantly, lite renditions of both Van Nuys and Whiteman general aviation airports. 

Special care has been given to optimization with this project. Aside from techniques used in other recent projects, a key factor in the performance of Burbank is the large coverage area. Using the same advanced optimization methods implemented in projects such as Innsbruck, Palm Springs and Santa Barbara, the project has also been designed to work seamlessly with either Global Base or SCA Southern California (landclass region), depending on the flying style and preference. Understanding the performance issues often associated with the LA basin, and every effort has been made to optimize scenery for extended approaches into the airport. 

COVERAGE AREA

JUQYnr7.jpg

Za5ZZgO.jpg

AT A GLANCE

- Complete ultra-HD rendition of Hollywood Burbank Airport (KBUR)

- Custom modelling throughout, with complete PBR textures

- 1400km2 of extended cityscape scenery with complete SoCal vegetation types & building agn

- Covers the entirety of the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, as well as surrounding mountain ranges and Hollywood Hills

- Beautiful hand-coloured and edited ground textures at 30cm & 1m resolution

- Dozens of points of interest, including major film lots, Universal Studios, Hollywood Sign, Griffith Observatory and more

- Unique GSE and static aircraft fleet unique to Burbank - don't expect to see generic airside vehicles or unexpected aircraft types 

- Custom vegetation, grass and non-airside detailing

- Optimized for use with default and well-known AI programs

- Incredibly detailed landside approaches - all industrial buildings, parking lots and retail/fast-food areas modeled in full

- High-resolution 10m DEM

- All non-residential buildings as custom 3D models with unique roof textures

- 2x Bonus Lite Airstrips: KVNY Van Nuys and KWHP Whiteman

- Several skyscraper helipads available for your rotary wing adventures

- Implements start-of-the-art optimization techniques to ensure best performance

- Developed by Matteo Veneziani

COMPATIBILITY

- Designed to work best with Global Base or Orbx SCA Southern California LC Region (or both!)

- Completely compatible with OpenLC North America (requires Global or SCA in addition)

- Completely compatible with Vector (requires Global or SCA in addition)

We hope you enjoy the first previews of Matteo's latest work. Please keep an eye on the forums and our social media over coming weeks for more information and shots. 

Cheers!

2Nr6RMM.jpg

l8lfoPd.jpg

60jor0P.jpg

CuuqRQX.jpg

Hg5WBOm.jpg

aIqyy5A.jpg

9OCPWNo.jpg

IbjeqK0.jpg

K2nvUWJ.jpg

cN1gFnh.jpg

Qn5fU9o.jpg

kjZbjru.jpg

6kCd4PZ.jpg

Seaixz4.jpg

n9H8DoZ.jpg

13uRQHT.jpg

DOqCeL4.jpg

2OGkfaq.jpg

I8hjwJW.jpg

wYqwExO.jpg

DyfYGZd.jpg

ovWvbBG.jpg

ykzLLJ6.jpg

NcN6rnV.jpg

azY3Pq3.jpg

zfRD8OH.jpg

DBojBhq.jpg

U4WXKeN.jpg

NHMTIzS.jpg

zKwohQd.jpg

HnytKYp.jpg

ZeLIk9v.jpg

e3rRZhG.jpg

Did you model the red and white stacks at the power plant just SE of Whiteman?  The Four Stacks Visual into KBUR is one of my favorite approaches.  Orbx SoCal just has a single generic stack.

This looks to be a nice challenge for flying in and out of there due to high terrain around the airport.

Will you model the large structure (factory?) that is used as a reference for the Four Stacks Visual Approach? That would be perfect!

WOW !!! I can see my apartment near Burbank Airport. They even have my company water tank tower logo (Disney) right.

I just hope the performance is good, using SoCal with the Los Angeles autogen surroundings, it takes a toll on the sim which is not enjoyable in some cases with the killer frame.

Funny thing, I was just landing at LOWI Innsbruck yesterday and said to myself, gee I wish we

could have more Orbx airports of this sort of quality and whamo! here we are.

Really looking forward to the release in the not too distant future. Well done team.

Kevin

From the days as a child with my mom taking me to the fence at the end of runway 15 watching the planes depart over heard to 18 years later down the road me working for the Airlines there for 7 years, BUR will always be my home airport and hold a special place and im absolutely thrilled we will finally have a FANTASTIC scenery for my little hometown in the sim. Thank you Orbx!

You truly must be kidding us.  DUDE MODELLED HALF OF LA!!!

This is incredible!  Even for Orbx this is amazing!!  If I have to go out and rob a liquor store, I am getting this on day 1.

Great place to fly to!!

But is there any chance for a "heavy" version of Van Nuys? For years I've been thinking KVNY would be the perfect addition to the Orbx style airports in the US, even kind of a "base" for GA flying in the whole virtual region.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 3:55 AM, DeeJay said:

Great place to fly to!!

But is there any chance for a "heavy" version of Van Nuys? For years I've been thinking KVNY would be the perfect addition to the Orbx style airports in the US, even kind of a "base" for GA flying in the whole virtual region.

totally agree.

OMG! What I see coming is fantastic to improve the Orbx Souhtern California !!!!
But ask that you have V. 4.4 .... minimum.

System Requirements

Minimum

Physically based rendering (PBR) requires Prepar3D Version 4.4 and above.

How can I know which version 4 .... do I have? ... I hope your help, please !!!

With P3D running choose Help from the menu bar on top and then choose About Lockheed Martin in the drop down.  You will then see the version along with other info.  I think the first two numbers (e.g. 4.5.xxxxx) are the version number  and the rest of the numbers are the release number or something like that.

Rod 

Archived