A suggested detour

From Olbia in the north of Sardegna it is just a short hop to Corse, just as Patrick @Neptune6 suggested.

U07Ha2d.jpg

5tiLDwJ.jpg

As the runway chosen by ATC wanted me to start inland, I quickly turned right to get another view of the city.

IwohyTI.jpg

The sim weather was not so inviting as the real one, ...

Vt7EA2x.jpg

GCty28Q.jpg

... but I can say Olbia city is brilliantly modeled and gives a fantastic impression.

bGQDOJo.jpg

Quite the view if you start to northeast.

Cm41B6C.jpg

Brigitte Bardot greeting the Isla Maddalena, ...

JiyPvuI.jpg

... before crossing the unnoticable border to les Iles Lavezzi, Corse.

UvckFkB.jpg

Bonifacio. The peninsula should be a city on a rock - quite the attraction. Unfortunately this is not depicted in OLC Europe.

bmt0RDb.jpg

The southeast of Corsica has a number of famous beaches...

WQa7ibG.jpg

... plus the magnificent city of Porto Vecchio, located on a small hill.

BEsTqXA.jpg

The mouth of Cavu river with an adjacent beach. We have spent a number of holidays there.

AXEvUTz.jpg

If you go hiking upstream the river, the landscape becomes dramatic.

fMISepM.jpg

1W6Z6Iy.jpg

And the villages in the mountains are famous as well. Here we see the curvy roads near Sartene...

Hlo8yZH.jpg

... and two glimpses of the settlement: The cultural...

fVEaETA.jpg

... and the even more cultural.

ycun44C.jpg

On base to Ajaccio.

GkDrSX1.jpg

Ajaccio is the birthplace of Napoleon Bonaparte, but unfortunately usually overcrowded by cruise ship tourists (we just waited in a bar until they left before starting our tour...).

IHRfKqP.jpg

Many Many thank Gerold . when i see your pics  goose pump come on me .. all village are in the moutain +/- 1000ft ALt and above

because before the WW2  Mosquitos give you malaria and that why villages are in moutains 

at WW2 when Amaerican soldiers came on the island  to fight Italia , disinfected with DDT all the marshes so as not to catch malaria . And also at this time for the first time Corsican People discover the white bread in the isla ..

And more

Bacci di Corsica pace e salute Gerold

Patrick

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent tour Gerold and my gosh, that river photo with the blocks of stone.  There's a park right near me named Cochran Mill that looks exactly like this.

they are granite block Jack and i catch troute (not exed 22/25 cm) with hands in the Corsica rivers  a lot of time ... You don't need nothing to catch, they are in the cavity under  rocks , and it's easy to catch ... ;)

Just now, Neptune6 said:

they are granite block Jack and i catch truttle with hands in the Corsica rivers  a lot of time ... You don't need nothing to catch, they are in the cavity under  rocks , and it's easy to catch ... ;)

Yes, they're granite where I live too.  Why catch turtles, do you eat the poor things? :unsure:

9 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great post this Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you very much, Iain!

9 hours ago, raffles said:

Fine looks and words  

Thanks for the compliments, Raffles. 

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Well done Gerold, some excellent images both sim and real.

The islands have some beautiful scenery, looks like a great place for a holiday.

Thank you Martyn. Now that we see the borders rising again (even between these islands?) and travels restricted we see the great holiday places only here - and in our memories.

8 hours ago, jean marc said:

Great tour ... And a cave to visit someday ... The one with sartene of course :)

Ah, le gourmet! The biggest problem in these wine regions is to decide which bar to visit first...

6 hours ago, Neptune6 said:

Many Many thank Gerold . when i see your pics  goose pump come on me .. all village are in the moutain +/- 1000ft ALt and above

because before the WW2  Mosquitos give you malaria and that why villages are in moutains 

at WW2 when Amaerican soldiers came on the island  to fight Italia , disinfected with DDT all the marshes so as not to catch malaria . And also at this time for the first time Corsican People discover the white bread in the isla ..

And more

Bacci di Corsica pace e salute Gerold

Patrick

Oh yes I remember the mosquitos at the coast, coming up every evening. You have to carefully close the house / tent, wear repellant and have some coils on... Thank you for the great background info, Patrick!

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent tour Gerold and my gosh, that river photo with the blocks of stone.  There's a park right near me named Cochran Mill that looks exactly like this.

Haha, thank you Jack. Be careful entering the waters, they are cold even in hot summer. Really cold.

And be assured I will not go to Cochran Mill without visiting you! 

4 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Super shots and narration Gerold.  I love to go there someday.

Thank you John. So many places, so little time... but at least we have the option to decide. Soon again, I am sure.

2 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Excellent shots. 

Love that paint scheme.

Thank you Ebo. A little detail on F-BRDO, lovely made.

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Grand set of shots Gerold .

Thank you John!

1 hour ago, Neptune6 said:

Fishes troute Jack ...! :)

That is the reason why I never ask of what the meal consists, when I am on business meals in China: The translation from Chinese to English to German is potentially misleading in either direction. No joke ???.

1 hour ago, Hauer said:

Superb series... thanks for the tour, Gerold.

Herman :rolleyes:

You are welcome, Herman!

22 minutes ago, Dana Mills said:

Wow, the memories all start coming back after seeing your great screenshots Gerold. I visited Maddalena in 1977 while in the US Navy, what a beautiful place.

Long ago, mate... and I am sure the looks have changed a lot since then.

Archived