Impossible Scenery Malfunction!?

This has me stumped.  Last year, I downloaded and installed Orbx Yosemite Valley in P3D v. 4.5.  It was great, and I saved screenshots, especially one of Half Dome, the unique granite structure in all the postcards.

Just this week, I returned to Yosemite in P3D, and discovered that Half Dome is not fully displayed, and has a huge purple patch.  (The waterfalls are functioning fine, so I'm sure the scenery is enabled.)  So I verified the files in Orbx Central, but that didn't fix it.  So then I installed Yosemite Valley in FSX, and booted up:  Perfect!  (See attached screenshot with Pasped Skylark.)

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the scenery in P3D.  Still didn't help.  (See attached screenshot with Tango.)

How can the same Orbx files display fine in FSX, but not in P3D -- especially when it used to display fine in P3D, too???   :wacko:

Thanks all,

Mac6737 

FSX Hald Dome 2.jpg

P3D Half Dome.jpg

Well, I can definitely confirm it shows fine in P3D v4.5 (hf3) and everything else relating appears to be there.

Maybe order of scenery?

Orbx Libraries installed?

I've got it installed directly into P3D 4.5, not via the xml method.

I also created some place holder (Empty) scenery entries to use as place holder markers for ensuring Orbx order ends up where I want it seeing as it tends to reset itself.

57F05050D0B4B42276F2C931A11295180CE06B8A918642D83D47F8FF8FABC0678EBC368AE2263B57A5562BC5B7946380E401B98158566631CBC56E4E

• Doug Sawatzky changed the title to Impossible Scenery Malfunction!?

Quantum,

I have it installed in P3D, too, as you do. 

Look, there's no doubt the scenery is loading.  Everything is fine in Yosemite except Half Dome, which used to display perfectly in P3D.  It still displays perfectly in FSX. 

It seems to me that nothing about "scenery order" can account for the big purple patch.

Mac6737

2 hours ago, Mac6737 said:

It seems to me that nothing about "scenery order" can account for the big purple patch.

My advice is to never discount the the unlikely when troubleshooting.

And now onto troubleshooting...

Looking into the '\Prepar3D v4\Orbx\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_YOSEMITE\scenery\" path I see a couple of MHalfDome3DT bgls and an xml file.

The xml file from the looks of the contents displays either a summer or winter Half Dome via ObjectFlow control.

So you could check the month / season and confirm the same for both Winter and Summer as the xml shows a different model is shown November to March.

If both are not showing (and the HalfDome bgls exist) then it would look more possibly like an Object Flow issue (perhaps installation or order of).

Meaning the next step is to confirm Object Flow installation in Orbx Central.

If it helps I have Object Flow installed via the xml add-on method and the below is how I have set up Central via 5 add-on libraries on a drive location of my choosing, each equating to the areas of Orbx.

e.g.

\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\

• !Base
  • Africa
  • Americas
  • Europe
  • Oceania

"!Base" is the target for those Orbx bits and pieces not directly related to a single area, here the Orbx Libraries, Object Flow, Global Buildings, TerraFlora v2 etc. are installed within.

I have read a few other posts in the Orbx forums where Object Flow installation has proven to end up being the root cause of an issue.

Let us know what you find.

Yosemite certainly is a great little POI area to fly though and I can understand the frustration when a major piece is not working as it should.

Cheers

0D305D0726F49E61F6F5E2DCEBA152468EDCB0AC312D1818BA43E46383F6A47F77D627AD469510EC

Well, I verified the files for both ObjectFlow2 and SODE.  No difference.

However, I now see that ObjectFlow is not installed in FSX, and Yosemite works perfectly there.  Also, don't forget that this scenery used to work just fine in P3D, too.  In light of your post, my hunch is that the switch to Orbx Central and the utter confusion in library structures that caused are somehow at the root of this.  But I am not inclined to go mucking around in the library structure just to fix one big cliff face.

Thanks,

Mac6737

BTW:  What is that plane you're flying?

12 hours ago, Mac6737 said:

Well, I verified the files for both ObjectFlow2 and SODE.  No difference.

However, I now see that ObjectFlow is not installed in FSX, and Yosemite works perfectly there.  Also, don't forget that this scenery used to work just fine in P3D, too.  In light of your post, my hunch is that the switch to Orbx Central and the utter confusion in library structures that caused are somehow at the root of this.  But I am not inclined to go mucking around in the library structure just to fix one big cliff face.

Thanks,

Mac6737

BTW:  What is that plane you're flying?

Object Flow is a dll.

In FSX its called is via the dll.xml file with an xml entry like the below.

<Launch.Addon>
        <Name>ObjectFlow.dll</Name>
        <Disabled>False</Disabled>
        <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
        <Path>E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Orbx\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>

In P3D v4 the dll is the 64bit version (Orbx_ObjectFlow_x64.dll) and requires the Microsoft C++ runtimes for 2013 x64.

They should be located as \Orbx ObjectFlow\redist\vcredist_2013_x64.exe should you need to install them.

As I have the Object Flow dll installed into P3D library I don't have an entry in the dll.xml, however there is an add-on.xml calling it.

How is Object Flow installed in your sim?

The plane is the Iris Pilatus PC-9A, it's a 32 bit plane I've hacked to get working in P3D x64.

Flys fine, just the external fuel tanks transfer pumps don't function and the throttle doesn't animate. Both use custom 32bit dlls so no way around those two issues.

Also unfortunate is the plane is no longer sold, although I think it might be available on Steam for FSX-SE only though.

Rickooo have a earlier release that people are keeping up to date and does fly well in P3D v4, model is not quite as high quality though.

Iris do have the 21-Driver which is a Pilatus PC-21, and you can download it for free till June.

The PC-21 is the updated version of the PC-9, looks much the same on the outside, inside is all upgraded, it too flys well.

Cheers

CBEE9D1B0F1B73DB98149F4BB31AE0F59D174DA9

9EA94C954286A11D5C902CD14420E11BBF761FFC

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 5:49 AM, Quantum Amiga said:

How is Object Flow installed in your sim?

QA:

It's in there twice.  Don't ask me why, but I didn't do it.  I did, however, disable one entry, as advised in this forum (I believe by Nick) because it was said that 2 versions mess things up.

The ENABLED path is: Users\Myself\OrbxLibrary\P3Dv.4\Orbx ObjectFlow

The DISABLED path is: Users\Myself\P3Dv.4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow

Also, SODE is installed at C:\Program Files(x86)\12bPilot\SODE\P3Dv4

These locations are where Orbx Central put stuff.

Mac6737

THIS TOPIC IS NOT "RESOLVED."

Since the last posts, I have resynced the sim through Orbx Central, verified the files for Global Base and Open LC NA, and flown the same route in wintertime, thereby using the other Half Dome scenery file.  No difference!

If anyone is listening:  If you uninstall and reinstall Orbx scenery, are you using the same files you originally downloaded onto your HD?  If not, would it not make sense to find those files, delete them, and then re-download the scenery from Orbx?  (In this case, it's freeware, so no biggy.)

Mac6737

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

your Orbx objectflow installation appears to be at odds with all the advice in this topic:

Nick,

With due respect, it appears not to be.  It's true that it's in there twice, but only one copy is ENABLED -- as I said.  I disabled the other copy i/a/w your advice a while back, and have had no other problems since doing so.

But hey, what about my idea of deleting the Yosemite scenery and downloading it again?  It's freeware. :)

Mac6737

Hello,

my advice was and is not to disable the FTX Central objectflow but to delete it.

My advice is also to create a new Library outside any Windows folders and install objectflow into it.

With equal respect, these two lines:

The ENABLED path is: Users\Myself\OrbxLibrary\P3Dv.4\Orbx ObjectFlow

The DISABLED path is: Users\Myself\P3Dv.4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow

indicate that you have not done either.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 1:56 PM, Nick Cooper said:

my advice was and is not to disable the FTX Central objectflow but to delete it.

My advice is also to create a new Library outside any Windows folders and install objectflow into it.

With equal respect, these two lines:

indicate that you have not done either.

1.  Actually, your advice, quoted in the foregoing thread, was "Problem: If there are two instances of Objectflow 2 in the P3D v4 add-ons menu and both are active, Objectflow does not work and airport products do not display as intended." (Emphasis supplied.)  Not only is only one of mine "active" (i.e, enabled), but it isn't in the P3D v4 add-ons menu to begin with.  Also, the problem that I began this thread with does not relate to "an airport product." 

2.  But anyway, let's say I want to delete what you call the "FTX Central objectflow."  Which one of the two I have identified is that?

3.  Sorry, I don't understand what a "Library outside any Windows folders" could be.  Regrettably, I am stuck with Windows as an operating system.  Are not all my folders and files in P3D (and FSX, for that matter) inside Windows folders?

Thanks as always,

Mac6737   

Hello,

1. this does not seem to be ambiguous: "Delete Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2".

2. nor does this:" If a customer then runs FTX Central, a new Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2 folder will be created".

3. by "Windows folders", I meant those created by an installation of Windows.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 4:08 PM, Nick Cooper said:

1. this does not seem to be ambiguous: "Delete Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2".

2. nor does this:" If a customer then runs FTX Central, a new Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2 folder will be created".

Nick,

I did not respond to your post until I tried a few things, and then looked elsewhere in the sim for their effects, intended or otherwise.

1.         I agree that your prior statements were unambiguous.  However, they were not in this thread.  Sorry, but it took me a while to realize they were in an earlier thread, which made the context clear.  Okay, so I had not DELETED the errant FTX ObjectFlow, and had assumed DISABLING it was the functional equivalent.  Maybe not.  Bottom line: DELETING it worked!  That, plus I revisited the manual for Orbx Central, and placed ObjectFlow2 in a directory I had created on the root a while back to accommodate Orbx sceneries for Kos (LGKO) and Juneau (PAJN).  (For some reason, those could not be installed in the main Orbx Library.)   After that, Half Dome in Yosemite reappeared in its full majestic height.  Oh, joy! Also, I found that the “floating buildings” at Skagway (PAGY), which I had considered a minor annoyance like mosquitoes, were now back on the ground where they belong; also, the two sets of runway markers at YBBN had been eliminated.  So this inquiry may now be labeled as “RESOLVED.” :D :D

2.           Yes . . . but.  I have found that tech fixes in simulators, and especially in Orbx add-ons, are like going to the dentist to get an abscessed tooth removed: it’s great to have the pain relieved, but then you go home, take off your shoes and socks, and discover that your toenails are missing!  (Case in point: installing AU v2 had the secret effect of disabling all AI aircraft!  Who knew?  It took me a week of back and forth on this forum to pinpoint the problem (as I recall, with your dogged assistance), and insert a line of instruction to re-enable my AI.)

So, Half Dome is back.  But now, when I boot up P3D v.4 I get an error message: “Pathway not found,“ and it identifies

“P3Dv.4\Orbx\FTX.AUv2_05\Scenery\*_objflow.xml”

as the culprit.  I click OK to proceed, and nothing seems amiss.  I went to Australia (YBBN) and took off.  AI on the ground and aloft, no floating buildings.

Granted, this latest problem is not with Orbx Freeware, and it may not matter much.  But it sure would be nice to boot up without clicking past the error message.  And the missing pathway involves an Objectflow.xml file.  There has to be a connection, right?  Is there an .xml file somewhere I can copy and put in the AUv2 scenery to fix this?

Thanks again,

Mac6737

Archived