Now THAT'S a model aircraft

teecee

I always wanted one like that.  Just after the war when I was in my early teens I used to make balsa wood scale models which flew with elastic motors.  They went ok but there was no controlling them.  Then my Father made a minutely detailed scale hurricane with a 5' wingspan powered with six quarter inch square elastic .  Boy, did that go.  Took off alright but unfortunately it crashed more often than landed and we needed to go to the biggest park in the area to fly and retrieve it. 

In the end we got fed up with it and my Father turned his attention to making working models of the famous steam engines using his new lathe for all the turning.  There's one of his was still on display in the reception area of Tate & Lyles head office up until he retired.  We lost track of it then.  It would be worth a bit now.  As I remember it, it was huge.  But then, when you're young, everything looks big doesn't it?!

Sorry, you took me down nostalgia lane. :)

John

Very good indeed a few years ago i was at a local airshow and there was a vulcan bomber about the same size as this and some other planes including a spit all roughly the same size i have a vid somewhere will have a look.

cheers

Iain

Noticed the two human 'chocks' restraining the plane while he was starting it too. Hand swinging a prop has always scared the wossname out of me, and even at that scale a slip would do you some nasty damage.

Pretty impressive... amazed that they are allowed to fly something that big near a built up area and over buildings, wouldn't be allowed to do that in aus.

Certainly puts my 3 meter wingspan (170cc engine) models (extra 260 and Yak55SP) in the shade.

Hand starting with a 2 blade prop is no problem, with a 3 blade you have to be quick smart about getting the hand out of the way.. "flick it like you hate it" I always say ;)

Vincent.

I had a work colleague send me a video of a siimilar sized model the other day. He asked me "When do we stop calling it a model?". I replied "I think it's when the pilot moves from the outside to the inside ... which makes the tigermoth somewhat doubtful".

Archived