The second half of my Cretean detour

Here we continue yesterday´s flight, from Tympaki. In fact the city is north of the airport, not south as shown in OLC.

2Tq2t43.jpg

There are no trees on this little hill, and just left (south) of it is Kalamaki village. By chance I could offer some proof of its existence.

YVDMfsV.jpg

The Pelargos taverna to the left, Paximadi Islands ahead.

JzRDLGt.jpg

Under the 208´s belly is Komos Beach, the bay to the left is "the hippie village" Matala.

hozW5Ml.jpg

Komos is nearly 5 km long. You can spot Kalamaki in the middle of the beach, Tympaki at its far end.

rZHwGSf.jpg

One of the bays here can be reached by a hiking trail.

APAXLxz.jpg

Agiofarango Beach.

rXrQ0Iu.jpg

The bay below embraces the village Lentas.

GbeXQMp.jpg

And here we climb over the Massara plain. Can you see the serpentines below? This is the main road from Heraklion to the south, and it is no easy driving there, trust me.

acL8CU7.jpg

Turning eastwards...

c5BXb8b.jpg

... we take advantage from the fact that we do not have to find roads today (would be quite another detour) to get to the Lassithi plain.

xOrFHuM.jpg

If one would stand on that mountain (or just fly around) the view would be great. Heraklion city to the right.

nWH6mjv.jpg

By plane it is easy to simply descend over Chersonissou and fly back to Heraklion!

Pk4HvRz.jpg

An excellent set Gerold with the RL photos sprinkled in amongst the screenies.

It looks like a fantastic place to visit but be careful in pointing out some anomalies as we don't want to get the Grizzlies going again do we!:lol::lol::lol:

6 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Another great set!

Is this the C208 without a pod? Looks a bit strange with this way.

Thank you Ebo. You can configure the Carenado plane with or without pod, and sometimes I prefer the light version.

6 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Very nice indeed.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain!

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

It looks like a fantastic place to visit but be careful in pointing out some anomalies as we don't want to get the Grizzlies going again do we!:lol::lol::lol:

Thank you Martyn. The best thing of Greece can not be shown in pictures: The outstanding hospitality of the people. Very inviting. And I would trust the local hunters in Crete to keep the Grizzlies under control...

1 hour ago, flyingleaf said:

Beautiful shots and another great tour Gerold. Very interesting indeed.:)

Thank you Karl. No catering on bord of these small planes, but it won´t be needed at Crete anyway, due to the sheer number of Tavernas.

40 minutes ago, BradB said:

Grand shots both RL and Sim Gerold . :):)

Thank you John!

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Beautiful Gerold, just beautiful.

Thank you very much, Jack. There are quite some nice places on this planet...

1 hour ago, Hauer said:

Really nice series... well done again, Gerold!

Herman :rolleyes:

Thanks Herman!

1 hour ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Nice combination of real and screenshots, makes it the more interesting.  well done!

Thank you , mate. I will try to pimp up some of my next flights / posts the same way.

On 5/21/2020 at 6:06 AM, VH-KDK said:

I for one really don't care, besides it makes them happy, or just Pack them up and send them over to that other site with the rest of them. :D

On 5/22/2020 at 10:27 PM, bvdboomen said:

Great tour again Gerold. In the last picture, in the lower right corner should be the outskirts of Malia. The town where we stayed last summer.

Thank you Ben. Next time you should visit the more quiet south coast - I could give you a recommendation. Whenever this next time might be allowed...

9 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Next time you should visit the more quiet south coast

Oh believe me, we did! :) It's indeed a beautiful rough place:

1. Here we're the first of 20(!) little jeeps to cross Crete to the south. We had no problems with the dust being the front car. :)

1.jpg

2. While we had a pause, I took a little hike up mountain. Then they came and pick me up.

2.jpg

3. We also took a hike in the Imbros gorge (8km). Not as long as the Samaria Gorge but I had my nephew (blue shirt) with me so we chose for the shorter one.

3.jpg

4. The south coast of Crete.

4.jpg

5. The roughness in detail.

5.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

35 minutes ago, bvdboomen said:

Oh believe me, we did! :) It's indeed a beautiful rough place:

1. Here we're the first of 20(!) little jeeps to cross Crete to the south. We had no problems with the dust being the front car. :)

2. While we had a pause, I took a little hike up mountain. Then they came and pick me up.

3. We also took a hike in the Imbros gorge (8km). Not as long as the Samaria Gorge but I had my nephew (blue shirt) with me so we chose for the shorter one.

4. The south coast of Crete.

5. The roughness in detail.

Cheers,

Ben.

Fantastic shots, Ben. That makes me away-from-home-sick...!

Was #4 taken in Lentas?

Archived