KMYF Orbx Southern California

5 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

I am afraid I don't see the step ups you refer to. here is my aerial pic of the default KFMY. It looks more built up than your shots indicate.

Capture.thumb.JPG.f896137367335e0ccdc6181480986739.JPG

Jon, do you perhaps have the newest 11.5 default airports loaded, or perhaps the yet unreleased (publicly) SoCal TE update designed to fix the wavy runways? Montgomery field default from 11.4 definitely is wavy. Tony’s comments on the pending fix said that the update should fix the several default airports once it is released. 

50 minutes ago, neilw said:

Jon, do you perhaps have the newest 11.5 default airports loaded, or perhaps the yet unreleased (publicly) SoCal TE update designed to fix the wavy runways? Montgomery field default from 11.4 definitely is wavy. Tony’s comments on the pending fix said that the update should fix the several default airports once it is released. 

My XP11 setup is 100% original X Plane 11 with Orbx add-ons only.  Orbx doesn't alter any of the default airports, which is why many of the airports in the scenery in the UK are devoid of buildings.  I've just been around the KMYF airport and my airport looks different to yours.  The runway markings are different, as well as the taxiway and runway signs. My guess is, somewhere along the line, another version of the airport has ended up in your XP11 install. 

Attached is a screenshot of my XP11 install, showing the regions that I have installed, as well as all available airports, and KMYF is not in any Orbx scenery, current or planned.

XP11-NA.thumb.jpg.3f9e513e051eddf6d9520b01caf28c1c.jpg

17 minutes ago, John Dow said:

My XP11 setup is 100% original X Plane 11 with Orbx add-ons only.  Orbx doesn't alter any of the default airports, which is why many of the airports in the scenery in the UK are devoid of buildings.  I've just been around the KMYF airport and my airport looks different to yours.  The runway markings are different, as well as the taxiway and runway signs. My guess is, somewhere along the line, another version of the airport has ended up in your XP11 install. 

Attached is a screenshot of my XP11 install, showing the regions that I have installed, as well as all available airports, and KMYF is not in any Orbx scenery, current or planned.

XP11-NA.thumb.jpg.3f9e513e051eddf6d9520b01caf28c1c.jpg

My post was to bring awareness that some people including forum moderators have downloaded new global/default airports from laminar that will come with the 11.5 update when released. Those new airports (including a new default KSAN) supposedly are better and/or resolve the wavy runways in TE SoCal.  Some moderators also have early access to Tony’s update of TE SoCal that supposedly fixes these wavy runways in 11.4 default airports. 

That’s why I was asking Jon Clarke if the reason he did not see wavy runways at Montgomery is he might have either the newer airports installed or the pending SoCal fix. 

With the default 11.4 Montgomery and the initial TE SoCal, Montgomery is most definitely wavy. 

3 hours ago, neilw said:

My post was to bring awareness that some people including forum moderators have downloaded new global/default airports from laminar that will come with the 11.5 update when released. Those new airports (including a new default KSAN) supposedly are better and/or resolve the wavy runways in TE SoCal.  Some moderators also have early access to Tony’s update of TE SoCal that supposedly fixes these wavy runways in 11.4 default airports. 

That’s why I was asking Jon Clarke if the reason he did not see wavy runways at Montgomery is he might have either the newer airports installed or the pending SoCal fix. 

With the default 11.4 Montgomery and the initial TE SoCal, Montgomery is most definitely wavy. 

Yes I have the newer default Global Airports. There has been no early release to Orbx team members of any additional airport mods by Tony with the exception of KSAN which I am assuming is for inhouse testing. It works anyway:)

I attach a link to KFMY in the XP Gateway site which shows there is a newer version dated April 2020 which is probably the one I have,

Download it and see if it fixes things for you. Let me know, because if it doesn't then the issue is something different.

https://gateway.x-plane.com/scenery/page/KFMY

Many airports were updated in 11.50 and many force flattening, which isn't ideal, e.g. KSAN which causes a nasty cliff and floating buildings around the airport. An update to KAVX covered the island in a dense forest, so I had to include our own version. It's not an ideal situation and makes keeping airports compatible very difficult.

However, the same thing has happened with every other region, some are quickly fixed in a subsequent XP update and others can sometimes get worse as users edit things in an attempt to make them look good in the default scenery. It's a constant game of cat and mouse. Common updates we see our users adding trees or draped textures at default airports that stand out pretty badly in the region (The trees are different colours, etc)

7 hours ago, neilw said:

My XPlane is 11.41 only, whatever updates Laminar force through are obviously there but nothing else.

As far as I know SoCal hasn't been updated since the release on May 8th, Orbx Central tells me I have US Southern California SD v1.0.1, however, checking the file properties in the SoCal Airports folder I see there are some files that were last modified 14th of May.  So it is possible that there is some work going on.  If that's right I'm sure the updates will flow through in the near future.

EDIT***  I just see a hotfix has been released that smooths the airports.  Right on cue :)

HI 

I have done the update today to TE SOCAL, which has flattened the various runways in the region, but is this now a fault with said update to produce this cliff near KMFY?

I have reloaded the scenery a couple of times and checked and unchecked runways follow contours to refresh the scenery but I have this cliff. Didn't have it yesterday though.

I am on 11.41.

Thanks

BUG2.jpg

Yes, just checked Montgomery Field with the new TE SoCal update and the runways are now flat.

Regarding that "cliff" off the east end of the airport, that is not all that unrealistic. It is a very sharp drop off from the airport elevation down to the shopping complex and I-15. True, the actual roadway is cut out from the hillside, but the actual hillside is a cliff not all that dissimilar to what your pic shows. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.10.31 AM.jpg

25 minutes ago, Sirids said:

HI 

I have done the update today to TE SOCAL, which has flattened the various runways in the region, but is this now a fault with said update to produce this cliff near KMFY?

I have reloaded the scenery a couple of times and checked and unchecked runways follow contours to refresh the scenery but I have this cliff. Didn't have it yesterday though.

I am on 11.41.

Thanks

BUG2.jpg

Just took a peek over the cliff off the end of the property. Admittedly, the rendering of this area is not the best. However, it is not oo inaccurate in the actual slope/dropoff of that cliff. As per my previous post, the actual cliff is a huge, sharp dropoff. Obviously the actual buildings and streets embedded into the actual cliff and just below it are a bit more orderly than rendered in XP. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.18.58 AM.jpg

1 hour ago, neilw said:

Yes, the XP version is screwing it up a bit compared to real.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.24.10 AM.jpg

I would be happy if mine looked like this picture. True Earth! 

It looks to me that the area where the shops reside are too low. I don't know, as I am not familiar with this area, but in the sim it looks way too severe and not natural.

Agreed. Could be a lot better. That said, not being a scenery designer, I'm not sure how complex it is do do something with that severe of a terrain change. As I said, it is IRL a huge cliff. The joke for Montgomery Field flyers is that if you're going to stall on takeoff on a hot day, hope you're on that runway headed over the cliff! Lots of glide space and height to recover!! Been there, done that IRL!!! 

Archived