Bordercross

This is just a short flight, but, as per today, crossing many countries. We start from Eliat, Israel at the Red Sea.

wrPgLOw.jpg

What you can see is not only the airport twin at Aqaba, Jordan. Also the two roads heading north on both sides of the border join our way.

aLk5tBY.jpg

On the Israel side, left from us, a new Eliat airport has been built - in reality, not in the sim.

JYHAZU7.jpg

Yotvata city. I wonder if it looks this way in reality?

bGbRd9r.jpg

By plane we can take a shortcut to the east...

Z1aXogo.jpg

... over less crowded lands...

J1T8Ib9.jpg

... to the valley of Petra, Jordan. I would love to travel there one fine day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petra

VbRkmaX.jpg

VmR7e44.jpg

Back to Israel we can see the Dead Sea salt works in the south part of the lake. It looks like water in the sim, but in fact it should look like the salt flats near Avalon, Victoria.

iINjFWf.jpg

The Dead Sea. With 1,412 ft below sea level it is Earth's lowest elevation on land. It is 304 m (997 ft) deep, the deepest hypersaline lake in the world. With a salinity of 34.2%, it is one of the world's saltiest bodies of water – 9.6 times as salty as the ocean – and has a density of 1.24 kg/litre, which makes swimming similar to floating. This salinity makes for a harsh environment in which plants and animals cannot flourish, hence its name.

The west coast of the northern part of the Sea belongs to West Bank / Palaestina. 

Vo1OJGO.jpg

And only seconds later we approach into Jerusalem.

mrbFRBu.jpg

Amazing how these artificial lines called "borders" can split a landscape.

An interesting corner of the world Gerold especially the Dead Sea.

I hope they can fix the huge environmental problems they are having there.

Regardless, a wonderful series of images from your OLC Africa tour.

4 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you, Iain!

3 hours ago, Dario said:

Wonderful shots. 

Thanks Dario.

4 hours ago, Neptune6 said:

Cross the sand alive  :)  that all i know ,  good reminding for salt sea and elevation ..

Oui, Patrick, most of us have learned this in school. But Orbx reminds us and wikipedia is quick!

4 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Great shots and narration Gerold, very interesting.

Don

Thank you Don. Really interesting places - many interesting places where our sim takes us to.

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

An interesting corner of the world Gerold especially the Dead Sea.

I hope they can fix the huge environmental problems they are having there.

Regardless, a wonderful series of images from your OLC Africa tour.

Thanks Martyn. I am not aware of environmental problems around the Dead Sea, but much more about the political.

6 hours ago, BradB said:

Boy that Orbx HD sand is working well Gerold in these fine shots . B):D:)

Yes, these details are great. And would work in the Gobi desert as well, if one needs to use it for OLC Asia...

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

Hum Gerold ... I must confess that it is maybe not the best part of Open LC Africa -  IMHO :ph34r:

(you could get much better aspect by the following photoscenery free addon (9gb)  link freeware   There Liban is great too)

You are right, there have been optically more impressive areas in OLC. Here it is just so many sights bundled together on such a small area - and some POIs in photoreal would be great...

11 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thanks Martyn. I am not aware of environmental problems around the Dead Sea, but much more about the political.

I saw a programme about it a while ago Gerold, the receding water means that resorts are no longer on the waters edge and also the bigger problem of sink holes.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-dying-of-the-dead-sea-70079351/

11 hours ago, adambar said:

Wonderful shots Gerold. :)

Thank you Adam!

7 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Nice set Stillwater!   Lookin' good with those shots.

Thanks JJJ!

7 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I saw a programme about it a while ago Gerold, the receding water means that resorts are no longer on the waters edge and also the bigger problem of sink holes.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-dying-of-the-dead-sea-70079351/

Uh, I did not know that. Interesting... and who said we do not learn something with this flight simming thing?

17 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Uh, I did not know that. Interesting... and who said we do not learn something with this flight simming thing?

I learn something every day on here Gerold but by lunch time I have usually forgotten it.:(:rolleyes::wacko::lol:

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

I learn something every day on here Gerold but by lunch time I have usually forgotten it.:(:rolleyes::wacko::lol:

Lunch, lunch, ...? Forgotten what this is, I have to look on wikipedia... and when I´m there I find out who is Frank Spencer...

1 hour ago, flyingleaf said:

Beautiful shots and narrative Gerold. Sadly to show my age the Dead Sea was only sick when I was born.:unsure::rolleyes::D

Time flies, Karl. But I hope it will not become the Zombie Sea before we can travel there again?

Archived