In ancient times...

... when tourism was still possible, one could dream of such a trip in real life. From Cairo, its mosques and bazaars...

SykWt6v.jpg

... over the CBD...

4DJNBIm.jpg

... towards Gizeh, with the traders of cheap souvenirs and fake clothes.

bR9Iyry.jpg

And, well, one of the old wonders of the world.

qCQnrQM.jpg

Then down south, passing the Faiyum oasis...

L4We78Y.jpg

... and along the Nile river that makes the desert partially green.

ZeciTPM.jpg

Partially.

jVxsPDs.jpg

But where this is possible, humans settled for thousands of years.

c6gb7EB.jpg

Recently they have even set up industrial areas, like near Nag Hammadi.

mzt8ZNq.jpg

This is Luxor, with its famous (but unshown) temples and the Valley of the Kings in the background. Even Mr. Bond, James Bond was visiting this place. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor

Inpknso.jpg

To our right we see the Assuan dam, that allowed to control the annual Nile floodings but also changed the landscape a lot.

7a2i0RP.jpg

gTQAVY5.jpg

With the most remarkable change happening to the Temples of Abu Simbel. They should be on the peninsula on the left, to be seen while we appoach the city´s airport.

hQgLIoc.jpg

I never forget the story of their relocation which I picked up in a Micky Mouse booklet when I was slightly younger. Read the transcript here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Simbel_temples 

A top class trip Gerold.

We are very lucky that we can still tour in our Orbx world.

I can remember seeing about the temples relocation on the BBC when I was young. The programme showed several ideas of how to preserve the temples.

You saw it in a Mickey Mouse book. Sadly the Beeb has now become a Micky Mouse outfit itself, a mere shadow of what it used to be.:-

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

A top class trip Gerold.

I can remember seeing about the temples relocation on the BBC when I was young. The programme showed several ideas of how to preserve the temples.

You saw it in a Mickey Mouse book. Sadly the Beeb has now become a Micky Mouse outfit itself, a mere shadow of what it used to be.:-

Thanks for commenting, Martyn. At least we can virtually try to find the places of our childhoods travel desires.

1 hour ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Another great trip with wonderful images, Gerold.

You DID NOT land next to the pyramids???? :o

Thank you Ebo. The King is not totally the right plane to land in the desert, any Tundra plane, Porter or Storch would do better I think.

55 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Cool tour, the pyramids are on my bucket list as well as Luxor.

On you virtual or real one, Jack? I would really love to go there in real, but it is becoming less and less safe since 30 years...

49 minutes ago, Hauer said:

Thanks for the tour, Gerold... lovely series!

Herman :rolleyes:

Thank you Herman!

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A top class trip Gerold.

+1 - :):)

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

I am plan to go there too someday O0 

I don't know if this excellent and funny movie has been exported to Germany and States - I guess yes for the 1st 

Asterix et Cleopatre by Alain Chabat    :lol:

And also OSS117   :P

So we now form a party of three, together with Jack. May the day come and we can travel safely!

And how my family loves the Asterix´ adventures, for example the one mentioned by you. Idefix (the german name of the dog) never gets lost!

OSS117? totally unknown in Germany! But he seems to be a veritable alternative to Mr. Bond... :D

Archived