Orbx LC Africa and Freeware Photoreal

Good day. I have just read the topic around the freeware photoreal mesh for OLC Africa. I already have OLC Africa installed. Is this freeware for those who have not yet purchased and is a "preview", or is it something additional which I can add to my existing OLC Africa? Regards.

Good evening,

I have the same question, I was also going to ask earlier about the benefits of installing the freeware package because I didn't notice any benefit visually. I was comparing Table Mountain with and without the freeware package and didn't notice anything different. Lion's Head still looks like it's lost, well, its head.

I've just compared the files included in the freeware package to what is included in OLC Africa, and it seems the freeware package is made up of files already in the OLC Africa package. The mesh is identical, the photoreal areas have slightly smaller file sizes in the freeware package. I would therefore conclude that as an OLC Africa customer, I can dispense with the freeware package.

What I don't understand then is why OLC Africa is mentioned as required in Central?

PJ

2 hours ago, PropJob said:

Good evening,

I have the same question, I was also going to ask earlier about the benefits of installing the freeware package because I didn't notice any benefit visually. I was comparing Table Mountain with and without the freeware package and didn't notice anything different. Lion's Head still looks like it's lost, well, its head.

I've just compared the files included in the freeware package to what is included in OLC Africa, and it seems the freeware package is made up of files already in the OLC Africa package. The mesh is identical, the photoreal areas have slightly smaller file sizes in the freeware package. I would therefore conclude that as an OLC Africa customer, I can dispense with the freeware package.

What I don't understand then is why OLC Africa is mentioned as required in Central?

PJ

Yes, Maybe my age, but a very confusing post..looks like existing customers of OLC Africa will have to download the freeware for the photoreal rendition of Etosha Pan...So if Cape Peninsula is now freeware, why did I buy OLC Africa? I fly for real in the area..Never been so confused....

2 hours ago, KVSandleben said:

So to get the Etosha photoreal we need the freeware pack?

Seems counterintuitive. Why not just include that in the OLC update?

Licensing issues.  Not a biggie but that's commerce for you.

Just to recap, if we have OLC Africa installed, the only benefit of installing the freeware package is a photoreal Etosha Pan?

I notice the mesh included in both packages is identical (and 3GB), can I simply delete one of the folders? I suppose now, because any verify files action would redownload them.

PJ

I noticed that the photoreal areas and mesh for Africa has been removed from the latest update that I installed in P3D V5.

If was going to complain but then I saw this post. If you want the photoreal and mesh you will have to install the freeware pack.

Hi again Nick, I've now reinstalled OLC Africa for v5 and there is no mesh, so far so good.

However, I have a folder over 20GB, where Central says 11GB downloaded for an 8GB installation. Could this be updated, unless of course something is going wrong here?

Yes, there is something wrong with the way that is displayed.

Apparently it is supposed to be automatically detected but clearly

it is not working as it should.

It is not the first time, it is not the only product so affected,

it is a known issue and is being worked on.

Apologies for any inconvenience that it has caused you.

Archived