Totally terrible Ground Textures with FTX Global, OpenLC & GES

I installed FTX Global, OpenLC Europe & GES . Is this normal that the Textures looks like this ? I remember in v3 or 4 it looks much better .

Fresh Installation of Windows . 

Fresh Installation of P3dv5 , then FTX Global , Open LC and GES . Take Off in LOWS and the straight away from the Runway 33.

Looks like snippet pices from , Hm from what ?!?!

k-1.png

k-2.png

k-3.png

k-4.png

k-2020-05-11 16_14_46-Scenery Config Editor_ C__ProgramData_Lockheed Martin_Prepar3D v5_scenery.cfg.png

k-2020-05-11 16_15_58-SubMenuDialog.png

Just now, f.skywalker said:

I have the same Problem.

No help from Orbx

Frank

What ?!?!

I think the whole Products are NOT compatible with v5 . 

Fresh Installation of Windows and P3D . The only Products FTX Global , OpenLC and GES . 

So , It would be very interesting now where I made a mistake ?!?

My System is : I9 9900K, RTX2080ti , 32 GB 3200MHz , Asus ROG Hero XI Board . 

Michael 

Hi Michael 

There is nothing wrong with your install or your screenshots, what you are seeing is what we all are seeing, if you compare it to Google Earth you will see how close the scenery resembles the real thing within the limits of the simulators ability to render land class scenery.

4 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi Michael 

There is nothing wrong with your install or your screenshots, what you are seeing is what we all are seeing, if you compare it to Google Earth you will see how close the scenery resembles the real thing within the limits of the simulators ability to render land class scenery.

I think in the past unde v 4 it looks much more better . 

Michael 

5 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Salut  Michael 

Il n'y a rien de mal avec votre installation ou vos captures d'écran, ce que vous voyez est ce que nous voyons tous, si vous le comparez à Google Earth, vous verrez à quel point le paysage ressemble à la réalité dans les limites de la capacité des simulateurs à rendre la terre paysages de classe.

What is this answer? in France called it "Kicking the ball"
I have the same problem and I have never seen that in V4.
An honest explanation would be welcome instead of taking us for fools, thank you.

Regards,

Hello,

in the UK, we would call your answer impolite.

It is the case that landclass scenery cannot display the actual world but instead can closely approximate the locations of the main features.

Woods where there are woods, houses where there are houses and so on.

If you would care to provide a screen shot of and example the problem and its exact location and notification of exactly which Orbx products

are installed, then we will have something to work on.

A comparison can be made between the product in P3D v4, P3D v5 and Google Earth.

It may well be that the behaviour of landclass in v4 and v5 is not the same but we cannot determine that until we have an exact problem to work on.

25 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

in the UK, we would call your answer impolite.

It is the case that landclass scenery cannot display the actual world but instead can closely approximate the locations of the main features.

Woods where there are woods, houses where there are houses and so on.

If you would care to provide a screen shot of and example the problem and its exact location and notification of exactly which Orbx products

are installed, then we will have something to work on.

A comparison can be made between the product in P3D v4, P3D v5 and Google Earth.

It may well be that the behaviour of landclass in v4 and v5 is not the same but we cannot determine that until we have an exact problem to work on.

Ok , i think there is an Problem . And sorry it cant be that the Terrain looks more sad in an newer Version of an Simulator as in the older Version . 

Here you become the Infos you need : 

Position you see at the Screenshot . 

Installed Products : W10 Fresh installation 1909 , Nvidia Driver 445.87, Only P3Dv5 , FTX Global Bas , OpenLC Europe and GES installed . 

No Tweaks . No Nvidia Settings . Set the Sim as desribed in the Manuals for FTX Products . 

Michael 

ORBX.png

ORIGINAL1.png

ORIGINAL.png

LIBRARY.png

OK I see where the problem lies.  North from LOWS Salzburg you have EU Germany South scenery which is hand crafted land class, then at 48N you leave the scenery and enter a patch of the openLC Europe scenery which is of lower detail and accuracy.  At 48.10N you re-enter the higher quality Germany South scenery.  Your screenshots appear to have been taken in the small section of the lower quality scenery.

Attached is a screenshot of this area, you will see how the border of the Germany South scenery is stepped all the way north form Salzburg.

2085112321_LOWSNorth.thumb.jpg.b46d5bc1e5abecaf7f5f5b482dcaf83c.jpg

12 minutes ago, John Dow said:

OK I see where the problem lies.  North from LOWS Salzburg you have EU Germany South scenery which is hand crafted land class, then at 48N you leave the scenery and enter a patch of the openLC Europe scenery which is of lower detail and accuracy.  At 48.10N you re-enter the higher quality Germany South scenery.  Your screenshots appear to have been taken in the small section of the lower quality scenery.

Attached is a screenshot of this area, you will see how the border of the Germany South scenery is stepped all the way north form Salzburg.

2085112321_LOWSNorth.thumb.jpg.b46d5bc1e5abecaf7f5f5b482dcaf83c.jpg

Its not true , 

I am excately on this Position . 

Michael 

k-111.png

I was not incorrect, only firm, call it what you want.  
I prefer to be told "I don't know" there is no shame in that but to tell me that things were identical in V4 that by cons I call that a lie ......

Here i have two Screenshots . 

Number 1 : The same Situation without GES . ( much more better for me ) 

Number 2 : Without OpenLC ( not too many difference ) 

I think the Problem there is GES . But what happens in this cae ? 

Thanks 

Michael 

k-Without GES.png

k-Only FTX Global.jpg

Hmmm, i don't have that problem with my complete Orbx and strictly v5 addons only. But without exception i see only people complaining about terrain errors who have NON-V5 ADDONS installed (e. g. DD LOWS). This may not be the problem, but it's remarkable.

Fritz

4 minutes ago, Prisco said:

ich habe mal drei Screenshots gemacht, wie es bei mir aussieht. Bei mir sind die gleichen Scenerien aktiv.

Ich glaube ganz so zerschossen, wie bei deinen Aufnahmen sieht es nicht aus.  1327861387_Screenshot1(3).thumb.png.6aff8193b1a23edfcbeebeaff34f429c.png

Hallo , 

Mit FTX Global Bas , OpenLC und GES ? 

Im P3Dv5 ? Richtig . Wo bist DU da gleicher Ort wie ich ? 

Danke

4 minutes ago, Prisco said:

...und Blickrichtung Westen. Schau dir mal meine Einträge in der Bibliothek (dein Beitrag im deutsches Forum) an. Ich fand sie komisch, aber vielleicht soll es tatsächlich so sein

Screenshot2 (5).png

Mach das gleiche Bild bitte mal ohne GES . Und poste das so ungefähr mit der gleichen Sicht . 

Denke das das auch bei Dir dann besser ist . 

Danke 

Hello,

I have gone to the location that Michael kindly gave me:

1.jpg

I used the same scenery.cfg file and the same saved flight in both simulators.

All other products concerned are inside the P3D folder in both simulators and

both simulators are using the same files.

I have viewed it in P3D v4, P3D v5 and in Google Earth.

I have made a gif for comparison and I think that it is clear that:

1. P3D v4 and P3D v5 display the same files in exactly the same way.

Note that this is a very small sample from a very large product but

that is is a sample chosen by a customer.

2. The landclass is in fact a very accurate representation of what is seen in

Google Earth, within the obvious limitations of that landclass method.

To test, focus on a feature, woods, major roads, villages, quarry, the river in

one of the images and see how it is displayed in the other two images.

ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

Nick, thank you for your effort.

I think its not the difference between V4 and V5, its the difference between using GES or non GES and only LC. I think without GES its looking more harmony,using GES its more realistic.

Joachim

Hello,

I am answering the original question from post 1.

Is this normal that the Textures looks like this ? I remember in v3 or 4 it looks much better

It seems that the additional accuracy is not always welcome?

This is exactly what I have been talking about in my thread about LFSB area. I am so glad I am not the only one seeing it.
I posted a good GES comparison between P3D4 and P3D5.

There is a clear difference between GES on or GES off in P3D5. So for me, GES has been deactivated for now ...

Edit: as mentioned in the first post of this thread, it looks like cut out pieces just pasted over field areas. It does'nt blend in.

The difference in your case is the concrete patches.

It should not be a surprise that GES on and GES off look different, they do in FSX and all versions of P3D,

it is intentional and the purpose of GEN and GES is to introduce much greater accuracy.

If it then looks odd to you is not an indication that the product is defective.

The single issue of the concrete areas is the exception.

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I have gone to the location that Michael kindly gave me:

1.jpg

I used the same scenery.cfg file and the same saved flight in both simulators.

All other products concerned are inside the P3D folder in both simulators and

both simulators are using the same files.

I have viewed it in P3D v4, P3D v5 and in Google Earth.

I have made a gif for comparison and I think that it is clear that:

1. P3D v4 and P3D v5 display the same files in exactly the same way.

Note that this is a very small sample from a very large product but

that is is a sample chosen by a customer.

2. The landclass is in fact a very accurate representation of what is seen in

Google Earth, within the obvious limitations of that landclass method.

To test, focus on a feature, woods, major roads, villages, quarry, the river in

one of the images and see how it is displayed in the other two images.

ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

Hello Nick , 

Sorry for the late answer of your Post and many Thanks from my side for you work . 

You are right , i also compared it with v4 . Its the same . 

But i think it is nevertheless a Problem with GES himself . Ok then the Problem was also persist since v4 . 

Maybe nobody dicoverd this in v4 . 

For me i decide to deinstall GES now . Looks much more better and release some frames . 

You are right , the Landclass is nearly the same , but why with so bad snippets ?!? 

On your Website of GES , i read the following : 

Key Features

Superb ground textures from local sources

Hand-placed landclass covers every sq mile

Custom autogen textures and objects

Orbx Global 3D night lighting effects

Accurate roads, rivers, lakes, alley trees

But what u see on my Screenshot on the beginning of this threat has nothing to do with this. 

For the accuraty you take Satellite Pictures in GES and put this on the places like stamps on an letter. 

Michael

Hello Michael,

the gif in fact shows you just how accurate the Germany product is.

The direct comparison shows that the shapes and content are a match

for the Goole Earth image, within, as I keep writing, the limitations of the

landclass method of displaying scenery.

I think what the OP means is that the GES scenery looks very patchy and fragmented in comparison to the OpenLC scenery, whuch is undoubtly true looking at the pictures. But as Nick states, it is obvious that the GES landclass is pretty accurate compared to GE images. I think the main problem is that Germany indeed look that patchy and fragmented in real life. It´s what we´d call "zersiedelt". Many small villages, tiny patches of forests within farmland, small roads crossing...if you depict every small patch of trees or houses with a landclass approach, it looks like in the pictures shown above. On the other hand, if you leave away smaller details, someone will probably complain that the 5-house-village they used to live in is not depicted in the full-fat region. So compromises have to be made. If you use OpenLC, Global and (in V1-V4) Vector, you´ll get less detailed scenery with many omissions, but the overall scenery will look a little less fragmented. With GES, you´ll get the most accurate rendition that a landclass approach allows, but in certain areas it will look strange and patchy. I think Germany is really hard to depict appropriately with landclass, while contries like Australia with huge, repetitive areas of a certain type of landscape (desert in the red centre, forests in Queensland and so on) is ideal for landclass based scenery. I guess You´ll have to decide what suits your taste best. 

Best regards,

Fabian

To add to this debate before I bow out... I've been flying a trip I did in Southern Germany from Donaueschingen to Vienna along the Donau, and I am amazed at how consistently accurate the depiction of the landscape is in the EU Germany South.  The instances of cutout elements lying on top of the landclass as has been noted in this thread are almost non-existent.  So, from my perspective as a simmer flying along using landmarks to navigate and recognise features, the scenery is almost as good as True Earth.

I did a test flight out of LOWS heading north and I wasn't disappointed in the depiction of the scenery in EU Germany South, there weren't any major anomalies that stood out, until we left the scenery and went into the Global Open Landclass scenery for a few miles, then the limitations of the broad brush scenery became instantly apparent.  Entering back in to EU Germany South as I continued northwards and the scenery instantly became much more realistic and accurate within the limitations of the landclass system

Landclass scenery has never been designed to eliminate specific errors in scenery depiction.  If you look for errors you will find them no doubt about it.  But if you fly along taking a broad brush approach to the scenery depicted below, then it is an ideal cost effective way to get the overall feeling of the scenery as you enjoy scenic or RPT flights.

Archived