Mesh issue on runways with TE SoCal

Looks like the ortho files of TE SoCal generate 'stairs' on certain runways (KSAN and KYMF). 

I tried desactivate every file (even other addon) these "bumps" appear with the Ortho folder is activated.

Am I the only one having this issue?

It depends on the default airports. Some have "flattening" enabled and others don't. I did correct a few, but as has been the case with the other regions, the airports get updated a few days later.

N.B. We can't fix the default airports in X-Plane, we can only provide tweaked versions of these. I'll check out these airports and see if I can smooth them out.

For KSAN the issue is between the end of runway 27 and the threshold marks. I use the MisterX6 version of that airport but I desactivated it and same issue, it only disappears when I desactivate Ortho SoCal in the sim.

For KMYF I use the stock airport and there are bumps on runway 05/23 (the longer one is fine)

I managed to fix the  "roller coaster" runway issue at KSAN by editing the apt.dat file provided in the KSAN airport folder of MisterX6 and add the 1302 flatten 1 entry just after the airport header

Now for KMYF, I've no addon on top of TrueEarth and editing the default apt.dat file in resources/default scenery/default apt dat/earth nav data does not solve the bumps issue so I guess that should be fixed with a patch at the TE Socal Ortho level by Orbx

Sorry, I just did a free cam run from the end of 09 and it does have several ramp issues. Sad. No more fixed wind flights at my main airport until this is fixed. Fortunately I'm doing a lot of heli flying at the moment, but do want/need to do fixed wing here at KSAN ASAP. 

Came up with a temp fix by editing the Earth nav data/apt.dat file by adding a 1300 flatten 1 near the top.

I
1000 Generated by WorldEditor 2.0.0r3

1     17 1 0 KSAN San Diego Intl
1302 city San Diego
1302 flatten 1
1302 country United States
1302 datum_lat 32.733555556
1302 datum_lon -117.189666667

That did introduce a problem with missing center striping in a section of the runway, but at least the airport is now usable. Perhaps someone knows how to fix the "foggy" patch???? Beyond my skillset. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 7.00.17 PM.jpg

Found a bit of a fix/improvement:

If you look at the next line in the apt.dat, which is

100 62.00 15 0 0.00 1 0 0 09  32.73712432 -117.20436304  313    0 0 10 1 0 27  32.72999968 -117.17497910  555    0 0 10 1 0

62 is the elevation of the field and is what it gets flattened at; change it to 65 to read

100 65.00 15 0 0.00 1 0 0 09  32.73712432 -117.20436304  313    0 0 10 1 0 27  32.72999968 -117.17497910  555    0 0 10 1 0

A note here for patches:

- KSAN - San Diego International
- KMYF - Montgomery Field
- KSEE - Bumpy
- KBWC - Bumpy
- KNID - Bumpy
- KMRY - Bumpy

Enabling flattening on these fixes most of the bumpy problems, but the issue is that it then causes cliffs or floating buildings or breaks some payware airports. 

6 hours ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

I don't know what is causing this. My KSAN runway is a light grey colour. Is this some sort of addon or MisterX's airport environment?

This is the Captnchris KSAN.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/57437-ksan-san-diego-intl-airport/&page=7

In playing with the elevation edit, I'm pretty sure that the "grey" was simply an effect to sim the extra worn area of the most common touchdown area on RWY27. By increasing the elevation in the apt.dat file to about 66 or 67, the "foggy" grey becomes much more black and accurate/realistic. 

Once your patch/fix is out, I'll try reverting back to the original apt.dat file from the Captnchris package. 

@Tony Wroblewski In the latest xp 11.50b6 was a revised Global Airports which added some new versions of a couple of existing airports plus some additional airports.If you look at the link you will see that there is a new edition of KSAN which looks similar ( green edges) to that of Captchris version. It is now the default KSAN in 11.50, but has not been added to 11.40/41. That is why we are seeing different issues. I have the new default KSAN and it is flat not bumpy.

Here is the Gatway link. The file is the Scenery ID 50988 dates 15 Feb 2020

https://gateway.x-plane.com/scenery/page/KSAN

Yep, this is a real problem. Flattening KSAN makes a really ugly cliff around the airport and causes floating buildings.

I've submitted an update (currently in testing) that smooths this out and included a version of KSAN that works. Unfortunately, MisterX's version won't have the edits he did.  I'd suggest anyone angry about this to please take it up with Laminar Research who need to give developers the ability to patch meshes locally (This would solve so many issues). If MisterX is willing to provide his modified DEM data for both KLAX and KSAN, then I'd be happy to integrate them in to the product.

Archived