Holey moly!

After taking off from Nairobi...

NPliX0E.jpg

... I consulted my old school atlas to learn about the region. Just north of the city there is Naivasha Flower park, an area of farming houses that produced a huge percentage of the world´s roses.

A8Wfw2S.jpg

Lake Bogoria is one of the smaller lakes of the East African Rift https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_African_Rift, ...

eBNTbnH.jpg

... but a bigger landmark comes soon: The Sifali Crater.

eJZIXcv.jpg

W0SjzKl.jpg

oRArqrr.jpg

And, about 80 miles further north another field of volcanic activity shows up at the coast of Lake Turkana: The Nabiyotum Crater. I am not sure about the spelling, but I am sure it looks great from the air. https://www.charismaticplanet.com/nabiyotum-crater-in-lake-turkana-kenya/

JLC3FIP.jpg

wvkDomI.jpg

Yes it is true, it looks that way:

ji9dYEi.jpg

Due to the long distances I´ll stop in Loyangalani and change for a slightly quicker plane. Sorry for the interruption.

Very impressive, Gerold!

Watch out when flying over the Somalia. Just read an Embraer EMB-120 (African Express Airways) was shot down by rebels... :o

Herman :)

3 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Another great set of shots of your African tour.

Now you know, why it took four days from Johannesburg to Europe in the olden days.

Thank you for watching & commenting, Ebo. Flying along the rift with a propellered plane takes a long, long time, indeed. Travel was much different in the older days.

3 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand set these Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

25 minutes ago, Hauer said:

Very impressive, Gerold!

Watch out when flying over the Somalia. Just read an Embraer EMB-120 (African Express Airways) was shot down by rebels... :o

Herman :)

Thanks for the warning, Herman. I will avoid Somalia in my virtual planning, but there are other dangerous regions around... :-

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Amazing tour Gerold, that crater, wow!

Thank you Jack. These are 2 of the photoreal gimmicks Orbs has added to Africa. A must-visit, obviously...

47 minutes ago, Dario said:

Wonderful shots. The terrain is really impressive! 

Thank you Dario. Quite some distances to fly in Africa, but these sights prove the need to do so.

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Fantastic shots Gerold !! .

John

Thank John. Indeed, that´s what you might feel there. Plus, the grounds may get slowly up or down, depending on where you are. We just have to wait a few million years and we´ll have a new Ocean there.

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

Fantastic crater ... North is the Great  Rift from where many prehumans have been found :) And why so many amazing volcanos are in these areas :wub:

Great trip again Gerold Thanks :)

Merci Jean Marc. Yes a great area to fly and to read about. Wikipedia is my friend in the home office!

1 hour ago, mikee said:

Very Nice shots Gerold :)

Thank you Mikee!

6 hours ago, adambar said:

Great find and captures Gerold. :)

Well Adam, an atlas, a kmz file, Google Earth and plan-g helped a bit... :rolleyes:

Archived