OLC Africa: Etosha pan contains water all over the year

Hi everyone, I have just made flights at different seasons over Namibia´s Etosha pan: As we can read in wikipedia, Etosha, meaning 'Great White Place' is made of a large mineral pan. The area exhibits a characteristic white and greenish surface, and is seldom seen with even a thin sheet of water covering it. Unfortunately OLC shows it filled with water, not white-green:

y859DM3.jpg

Coordinates (18°47′07″S 16°15′50″E) and example pictures can be seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etosha_pan

I think it's one or the other in the sim.  Personally I'd prefer to see it dry by default but if a lake or pan is marked as a water body by the geographers who compile the data, the sim will show a lake.

If it was changed to dry, the trade-off is there won't be photoreal textures so the landclass alternative might well look worse.

8 hours ago, John Dow said:

I think it's one or the other in the sim.  Personally I'd prefer to see it dry by default but if a lake or pan is marked as a water body by the geographers who compile the data, the sim will show a lake.

If it was changed to dry, the trade-off is there won't be photoreal textures so the landclass alternative might well look worse.

Thanks for your assessment, John.

Nevertheless, in my eyes, a well-known dry area should be dry (as the Lake Eyre for example) - I would not matter the trade-off.

4 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

FYI, there's a service pack in the works for OLC Africa that will include the Etosha Pan as a photoreal area similar to the photoreal saltpans included in Australia v2.

Cheers, Holger

Great to hear that, Holger. You support us (our pleasure), and we try to give some support back. If possible... :D

On 4/30/2020 at 8:00 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

FYI, there's a service pack in the works for OLC Africa that will include the Etosha Pan as a photoreal area similar to the photoreal saltpans included in Australia v2.

Cheers, Holger

Fantastic! I hope you will also be able to change the brown grass to green in the farms and grasslands of Eastern and Central Africa. As it stands, the area looks much drier than it actually is.

On 5/9/2020 at 4:45 AM, jnyanjui said:

Fantastic! I hope you will also be able to change the brown grass to green in the farms and grasslands of Eastern and Central Africa. As it stands, the area looks much drier than it actually is.

\I asked for this in beta testing but it seems there's a limit to how many textures can be provided so maybe trying tom green up the highlands is a step too far.

Archived