Mister Sandman

Stillwater

Lüderitz, Namibia, was named after tobacco trader A. Lüderitz, born in my hometown Bremen. The oysters of the region are claimed to be some of the best of the world, and the nearby diamond mines as well.

DFEKKmE.jpg

The clouds disappeared seconds later, as could be expected for the region.

pychwsC.jpg

Not so many trees around in the Namib desert. Instead, we find ahead the famous Sossusvlei. It is a pan of salt and clay (of course surrounded by red dunes), which in some years collects water, but does not have any outflow to a river or the sea. "Sossus" is Nama language for "dead end", "vlei" means marsh in Afrikaans.

IUk7AxW.jpg

The Namib is characterized by high sand dunes of vivid pink-to-orange color due to a high concentration of iron oxide in the sand. These dunes are among the highest in the world; many of them are above 200 metres, a famous one nicknamed Big Daddy, about 325 metres high, however the highest dune in the Namib Desert, Dune 7, is about 388 metres high.

gjGuAbS.jpg

Here we pass Walvis Bay. The name of bay and town has German roots and means, easy to translate, whale bay. To the north a long beach extends: Langstrand. Well, there is enough sand for a beach...

hgwpkZQ.jpg

It was a safe haven for sail ships due to the protection by Pelican Point.

T1msc3A.jpg

Our flight today ends in Swakopmund. Again, this name is German-based and means "the mouth of Swakop river". Initially it was the main port for imports and exports to the country. 

ksp2XwZ.jpg

Another area we do not learn much about in school. Let´s see what the next flights bring!

5 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Thanks for sharing these, with us Gerold.

Absolutely stunning shots and thanks for the pictorial geography lesson!

In case you carry on your flights in Namibia, here is a correct paint for you South West Airways Douglas C-47. Its not by me.

Thanks for your comment and the link. I had another SAA paint but it did not show up in p3d :blink:...

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

ANother very interesting and information packed flight Gerold.

Thank you Martyn. Needless to say I learned a lot during posting this.

5 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great set these Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain!

4 hours ago, jean marc said:

A lovely trip with great narrative thank you very much Gerold :) should be amazing in RL with an old DC3 ... I think a few one are still flying in Ecuador but to be checked ....

Not to imagine travelling around Africa in real life and in a DC-3. I would even take a screwdriver and some cans of oil with me!

2 hours ago, adambar said:

Very nicely done Gerold! :)

Thank you Adam!

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Fantastic shots Gerold and a catchy title :

Cheers

John

Hmmm, now I can´t get it out of my ears... ;)

2 hours ago, Traveller said:

I am aware that it is a common cliché, but ... how good it was in my childhood!:)

Cheers,

A cliché, yes, but a good one!

15 minutes ago, lifejogger said:

Enjoyed your narrative about the area Gerold and the shots!!!!!!!!

Thank you John, come fly with me!

2 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

The reason is probably a wrong entry in the aircraft.cfg file. Send it to me and  I will sort this out for you. 

Okay, I´´ll try it again and send you my trial...

2 hours ago, Hauer said:

Very nice & interesting series... well done, Gerold!

Herman :rolleyes:

You are welcome, Herman.

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Another nice and informative tour Gerold.

Thanks Jack. When I come over to Atlanta I will give you a Geography test, so learn well and be prepared :D!

7 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

The reason is probably a wrong entry in the aircraft.cfg file. Send it to me and  I will sort this out for you. 

I got it working! I did not copy the text given with the livery, but took a working version and entered the necessary changes line by line. Obviously there were some details not fitting with the simple version.

1 minute ago, Stillwater said:

I got it working! I did not copy the text given with the livery, but took a working version and entered the necessary changes line by line. Obviously there were some details not fitting with the simple version.

Great and that is wonderful. 

2 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots and a very informative narrative Gerold. :)

Thank you Karl! I should have considered hiring an experienced DC-3 crew to get sufficient supply during the flight over dry territory.

4 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Not too many people can make a desert sound interesting but you did!  And it looks interesting as well thanks to your great captures and Orbx's Africa .....

Thanks TT. Some textbooks and wikipedia helped me... plus a little interest in the area.

Archived