We keep SAA flying!

Stillwater

Despite the increasing rumours that SAA would end their services by 30rd April we will keep them flying here. Today from FACT...

[It is worth clicking on the pictures to increase their size]

598f1Nn.jpg

... climbing out over Cape Town...

qLwsV8S.jpg

v4bkBH8.jpg

... and heading north over the coastal mountains.

m6RpuEZ.jpg

Whyever this place is named Elandsbaai ("misery bay") - someone must have had a bad time there.

YJF9hcT.jpg

Oranje River at the border of South Africa to Namibia.

3mCuaCk.jpg

The Namib-Naukluft NP, ...

lruAgC1.jpg

... quite a huge desert, they say it has the highest dunes in the world.

8rf9YhI.jpg

That needs a closer inspection, and luckily this flight is scheduled to Walvis Bay. No need to show the airport, it has standard FSX 2006 look.

q2vwWPW.jpg

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Gerold you are going to be posting a lot of shots this year of all the airline's that go belly up sadly , I guess you would call it screenshot job security . :(:)

So sad when I read the comments on some media sites where misguided people are glad of their demise. A shame they didn't stop to think of the number of people who work for the airlines and ancillary businesses who will lose their jobs.:(>:(>:(

Another great flight and set of pictures, with great descriptions of locations.

However you said "Whyever this place is named Elandsbaai " Eland's Bay is actually named after a big antilope that roamed the plains of of our country.

220px-Taurotragus_oryx_-_young_bull_-_Et

For those who like to probe further here is an article from Wikipedia - Common eland.

8 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

8 hours ago, mikee said:

Impressive Shots Gerold !!

Thnaks Mikee.

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Excellent narration from your continuing African escapade Gerold.

"escapade", that is a good word for it. I just pay some little tribute to this fantastic OLC pack.

8 hours ago, BradB said:

Gerold you are going to be posting a lot of shots this year of all the airline's that go belly up sadly , I guess you would call it screenshot job security . :(:)

You make a painful point, John, but a valid one. For most of the airlines that are in current trouble I have made good experience as a customer. In case only the crap ones survive, I will have to travel with cargo ships or by bike.

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

So sad when I read the comments on some media sites where misguided people are glad of their demise. A shame they didn't stop to think of the number of people who work for the airlines and ancillary businesses who will lose their jobs.:(>:(>:(

Totally right, Martyn. And if competition goes down it will also hurt every traveller with increasing prices, once we can get back to travelling.

6 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Another great flight and set of pictures, with great descriptions of locations.

However you said "Whyever this place is named Elandsbaai " Eland's Bay is actually named after a big antilope that roamed the plains of of our country.

220px-Taurotragus_oryx_-_young_bull_-_Et

For those who like to probe further here is an article from Wikipedia - Common eland.

Thank you Eberhard - I had totally forgotten about the Elenantilope, how it is called in German.

10 minutes ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

SA Express another state owned enterprise has also filed for liquidation. Sad news indeed. 

Sad news! When in ZA, I usually fly to Kimberley with them.

Guess it will be long vehicle journeys in future...

:(

4 hours ago, Hauer said:

Very nice series, Gerold!

:rolleyes:

Thank you my friend!

3 hours ago, adambar said:

Beautiful shots and flight as always Gerold! :)

My pleasure, Adam.

1 hour ago, schtroumf said:

Great tripB)

Thanks, Olivier!

1 hour ago, Taph said:

Grand shot Gerold

There is some scenery beyound that makes is easy...!

2 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Very nice posting. Even LH announced they'd need 10 Billion Euros. Air France KLM, 11 Billions.

Big companies, big amounts. But my Italian restaurant next door suffers as well, and so does the...

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice shots Gerold.  I imagine the airline industry will be decimated.  Such is life in the airline business, I know firsthand.

We will have to wat and see, Jack. A huge backdrop.

42 minutes ago, Hauer said:

Sad news! When in ZA, I usually fly to Kimberley with them.

Guess it will be long vehicle journeys in future...

:(

They would still have a customer base, and chances to optimize their operations - but I do not believe this will come true.

6 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Great shots and all the best to South African - the airline is very well represented in my freeware FSX AI and will at least continue to operate virtually on a t least one PC.

Thank youfor commenting, TT. And indeed: All the best to the struggling airlines and their employees.

Archived