Gardens and Deserts

Stillwater

This flight takes us westwards from Plettenberg...

8FldNc5.jpg

... over coastal forests...

gaDCzeg.jpg

... to the touristical hotspot village of Knysna.

wAu5uqq.jpg

The N2 road goes on through Sedgefield...

yyPceOk.jpg

... to places named Wilderness East and Wilderness. Though I would not consider these places as wilderness.

892MmI3.jpg

In George (FAGG) we turn north and away from the coast, ...

NZ2H9mM.jpg

... across the Outeniqua mountains, ...

TOH7KHV.jpg

... towards the Little Karoo desert.

GrkCzqN.jpg

Indeed this looks like a land of thirst. It was a true barrier for European settlement in 17th and 18th century.

rBUvml8.jpg

And the next barrier awaits: Ahead are the Swartberg mountains. Though these mountains are indeed red, they appeared black (german: schwarz / dutch: swaart) from the distance.

XsNOMq3.jpg

The unpaved Swartberg pass road is another famous pass road with great views. It was built using convict labour and opened in 1888.

tpz8Xmt.jpg

PVe08hT.jpg

3nXoXMY.jpg

North of the mountains another desert - the Great Karoo.

4Vx2Xh8.jpg

We turn back to the coast at the green oasis of Prince Albert.

UFiddtb.jpg

Amazing these mountains.

S1loC3W.jpg

The Little Karoo plains near Calitzdorp.

tnTIIyH.jpg

Near Swellendam we meet the N2 again...

BizCL9A.jpg

... but we make rest at Overberg AB.
0iMu0Gn.jpg

Creating this post with the Realair Lancair pictures was a little pain for me: After this flight I installed wildlife+ and numerous p3dv5 scenery updates - and now I am back to the mode when the sim always crashes when I fly the Lancair and move the autopilot altitude knob. I had that before and solved it, but I do not rmember. A fresh install of the Lancair did not help. Does anyone have an idea?

You are showing all the variations of the scenery in South Africa which I am finding quite eye popping in my FSX installation (lots of freeware airport upgrades for FSX which is nice but a little time consuming installation wise) - beaut shots as always and your commentary is giving me ideas for my aerial tour, thank you.

34 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Creating this post with the Realair Lancair pictures was a little pain for me: After this flight I installed wildlife+ and numerous p3dv5 scenery updates - and now I am back to the mode when the sim always crashes when I fly the Lancair and move the autopilot altitude knob. I had that before and solved it, but I do not rmember. A fresh install of the Lancair did not help. Does anyone have an idea?

I have a suspicion that wildlife + causes these crashes in v5. It seems very finicky with older add ons, especially the ones created for 32bit.

It also has a tendency to crash with complex aircraft and scenery. But this is being worked on. 

Stunning pictures, Gerold.

5 hours ago, Stillwater said:

My deepest sympathy. :D

6 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

Stunning pictures, Gerold.

My deepest sympathy. :D

Thanks Lars. I knew you can only help with a bigger type of plane.

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Looking fantastic Gerold , is this V4 or V5 ? .

v4, John. I am a late mover, and I will wait until my major add-ons are guaranteed to work.

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Such amazing and varied terrain Gerold, and yet again, another great narration.

Thank you Jack! Route planning is already a pleasure in Africa, and there is much literature around.

6 hours ago, TerribleT said:

You are showing all the variations of the scenery in South Africa which I am finding quite eye popping in my FSX installation (lots of freeware airport upgrades for FSX which is nice but a little time consuming installation wise) - beaut shots as always and your commentary is giving me ideas for my aerial tour, thank you.

You really make a point with the freeware add-ons. I had lots (e. g. aeroworks), but now with OLC I use less than a handful of them. Unfortunately some airports NEED upgrades, and Orbx does not supply them, yet.

6 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Thanks for this memorable and stunning trip. 

The more I see of your posts, I wonder,, whether you do not live in this part of the world.

Your knowledge is amazing.

Hahaha, you make me smile, Eberhard! I just read through some teasers and roadbooks for flight planning. Plus, the maps in Plan-G already point at interesting places.

6 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

I have a suspicion that wildlife + causes these crashes in v5. It seems very finicky with older add ons, especially the ones created for 32bit.

It also has a tendency to crash with complex aircraft and scenery. But this is being worked on. 

Unfortunately the crashes also happen when wildlife+ is not active. I can only suspect it had caused some changes in the setup, maybe with simconnect. I tried to revert that but did not find the right solution. Yet, I hope.

6 hours ago, boetie said:

Danke Gerold. A great journey, I should get my kids to view your shots and narration for their home learning geography lessons :) 

Cheers

Graeme :)

Be careful Graeme, they might occupy your sim computer in the future.

Or ... wait: This may be a good option to convince your minister of finance to release funds for a new machine?!

4 hours ago, Hauer said:

Splendid series of a lovely region of South Africa. It is often said, "The World in One Country"!

So much detail at low altitudes...

Herman :rolleyes:

Yes Herman, I am also really happy with the details in this "simple" OpenLC pack. At least those countries I have flown yet look great regarding mesh, landclass, autogen. And there is more to discover...

Archived