Poll: An OpenLC solution for Asia

Captain Lars

OpenLC products for Asia  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding Asia, I'd support (BUY) the following products, namely:

• OpenLC Light: the allocation of existing Orbx-landclass without specific textures unique to Asia
    • Mini OpenLCs: key areas of heightened interest, e. g. Japan, Thailand etc., complementary to OpenLC Light
    • Multiple OpenLCs: splitting Asia into a few bigger OpenLC areas (e. g. Middle East, Far East, Central Asia)
    • OpenLC Asia: a landclass product for the whole continent

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

224/335

How many more votes can we get until august the 18th? And how many after this date? :D

Maybe we can ask the new CEO of Orbx, Anna, what she thinks about developing landclass scenery for Asia. I think, we all know the answer :)

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Interesting question Lars. I will wait until the dust is settled, then we know how many problems come with fsxx. Be it hardware, missing planes or other add-ons or whatever.

And for this time, I would still be investing in p3d additions, especially from Orbx. And especially OLC...

Yeah, me too.

Some of the statements by seemingly adult males today were just cringy.

Edited by Captain Lars

6 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Maybe we can ask the new CEO of Orbx, Anna, what she thinks about developing landclass scenery for Asia. I think, we all know the answer :)

Women and boys' toys, is this a good combination? In the meantime, another fellow simmer expressed his vote and commitment to OLC Asia. :)

5 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Women and boys' toys, is this a good combination? In the meantime, another fellow simmer expressed his vote and commitment to OLC Asia. :)

Lars, as you know, I'm totally with you on good scenery for Asia, I have lived there for over 20 years. I'm an alpha tester, so I can assure you that our prayers have been aswered :):)

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Lars, as you know, I'm totally with you on good scenery for Asia, I have lived there for over 20 years. I'm an alpha tester, so I can assure you that our prayers have been aswered :):)

OK, that's good news!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, mi hua said:

I want to know if Asia is still doing it. I'm waiting for you in China.

In about 10 days it won't matter.  What we'll have is orders of magnitude better than openLC.

Dave

2 hours ago, dave302 said:

In about 10 days it won't matter.  What we'll have is orders of magnitude better than openLC.

Dave

If you like to fly in the Arctic or in Antarctica, you're better off with the old Addon Antarctica X from Aerosoft, because these areas do not even exist in MSFS. Not everyone is so keen on chasing Giraffes or looking for his house in a Cessna. Not everyone thinks that the lighting in MSFS is so great, or even that the default airports would look somehow... well non-default. MSFS doesn't matter to me now, in 10 days or in a year. MSFS doesn't make sense to everyone.

231 voters / 347 votes

Edited by Captain Lars
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mi hua said:

I don't want to switch to mfs2020 for the time being. P3D is good for me. Unfortunately, there is no Asian landscape.

Unfortunately I think MFS2020 is the death of OpenLC Asia. I sorely wish for us to get a conclusive update on OpenLC Asia. The market is still there. 

• Upvote 1

I have been pleading for OpenLC Asia for a long time, as you can see from my posting track, and I would have bought it immediately up until, say, half a year ago. After all, you are right that it was promised once to cover the whole world in a unique scheme.

However, the world keeps turning. After having flown for several months now over Japan in MSFS alpha, I am not prepared to buy any landclass-based scenery any longer.

Nothing wrong if anyone wants to keeps his present sim and fly in the scenery he bought but the future is elsewhere. And the future starts now. LC-based products will not sell anymore in numbers to be profitable.

Kind regards, Michael

One (for me the only) advantage of landclass sceneries is the existence of seasons.

But then, from what I have seen of MSFS so far, I can easily take it without seasons. And at least MSFS has snow and snow fall implemented anyway.

4 hours ago, pmb said:

I have been pleading for OpenLC Asia for a long time, as you can see from my 

Nothing wrong if anyone wants to keeps his present sim and fly in the scenery he bought but the future is elsewhere. And the future starts now. LC-based products will not sell anymore in numbers to be profitable.

Kind regards, Michael

No. Prepar3D offers no scenery like MSFS does. If this is OK for a customer, he's still going to buy LC scenery for his P3D as much as he is going to buy airports. Why shouldn't he? If this is not OK for him, he's not going to buy airports either. There's no difference between the two categories of products for someone who stays with P3D for the time being. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

No. Prepar3D offers no scenery like MSFS does. If this is OK for a customer, he's still going to buy LC scenery for his P3D as much as he is going to buy airports. Why shouldn't he? If this is not OK for him, he's not going to buy airports either. There's no difference between the two categories of products for someone who stays with P3D for the time being. 

From the point of view of users there may be no difference between an OpenLC region and an airport but for the developer there is. I am convinced, Orbx will go on developing airports for MSFS and others simulators in parallel for quite some time.  There are a lot of assets and know-how they can re-use, notwithstanding differences of the platforms. However, LC-based regions are useless in MSFS and I doubt their production for the remaining Prepar3d users will pay off.

In my mind, the cardinal error has been the never-ending delay of the OpenLC series. It was a great series of products once but became unprofitable over time. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3

I have always been a lover of land class, which put Orbx where it is. Unique products, exclusive airports, lovely locations.

I am a "sightseeing" pilot, I like to see the plane flying over beautiful landscapes, mainly cities. I'm not a cabin pilot.

I was very excited when Orbx announced they will have a division to create cities...but never saw an increase of those.

Actually Orlando, Charleston and Barcelona have not yet even been updated to V5 !  and it has been quite a long time already.

Now I wonder if, is it worthy doing it having them in MSFS the way the look like..

As Orbx took so long doing cities I bought every single one out there. Some may not look outstanding or Orbx quality but definitely better than default.
My feeling is that you sacrificed developing for the world to satisfy the US market creating airports and products for their locations in the different platforms, as priority, and that is an awful sensation.

After having seen some MSFS videos and then turned to P3D, I must admit that some products look kind of toyish/ cartoonish, some look yet very far from a real appearance. So depending on what I want to experience I will fly one or another. I do love the small unique Orbx airports as I can sense the devotion put in those and it is great experience to fly them but realism and cities captivate me a lot.

I consider the job done by Orbx, outstanding, beautiful, I think it could be no better being the platform used and its limitations.

I do not doubt at all that Orbx will be able and capable to do sceneries for MSFS, matching the quality expected, and it would be great if most of the current products could be redone for MSFS, if possible.

Something I don't like much of MSFS is that everything is an image and sometimes these look a bit blurry. Images sometimes bore me

I would have to test myself to have a better opinion on this.

For now my intentions are:

01.- Flying the world in MSFS

02.- Flying Orbx exclusive airports in P3D.

The question here is

Which one will I be using more or prevail in time  based on my flying preferences.?

I think that is a fact we all will face at some stage, unless you definitely hate MSFS.

Currently, I am very open to use both and enjoy the best of each until one lets me down.

Cheers
Carlos

"""Currently, I am very open to use both and enjoy the best of each until one lets me down.

Cheers
Carlos""""

I echo your entire post Carlos.   I'll use both for sure but only time will tell which one gets the most use.  I'm looking forward to visiting Costa Rica in the new MSFS since my time there in 2016.  Beautiful country and wonderful people.

I don't think either one will ever let me down as I'll enjoy each one to provide me with what I'm looking for on any given day.  I will have to run all the sims anyway for testing purposes but that's ok..........I like 'em all.   :D

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

"""Currently, I am very open to use both and enjoy the best of each until one lets me down.

Cheers
Carlos""""

I echo your entire post Carlos.   I'll use both for sure but only time will tell which one gets the most use.  I'm looking forward to visiting Costa Rica in the new MSFS since my time there in 2016.  Beautiful country and wonderful people.

I don't think either one will ever let me down as I'll enjoy each one to provide me with what I'm looking for on any given day.  I will have to run all the sims anyway for testing purposes but that's ok..........I like 'em all.   :D

Thanks Rob

I also want to see how CR is done :lol:, thank you for your appreciation of my country.

I think I'll be fine with both but I feel one will be getting more investment  $$$

If P3D v5 doesn't get fixed and works perfectly in my system I think it'll be gone for me but I am very satisfied with 4.5 so I hope Orbx continues developing for that version.

I hope to enjoy both too

Cheers

Carlos

238 voters / 357 votes

Three days before the release of the new one, people still vote for a landclass solution for Asia. To be honest, I would have never thought that so many people would speak up in favour of a landclass solution for Asia.

145 out of 238 = 61 % commited to buy (remember, I made this question rather rigid) a single lc product.

141 out of 238 = 59 % would positively buy more than one LC product for Asia.

Let's assume Orbx (or someone else) would make three OLC products for the area for P3D for EUR 30 each, these would generate EUR 12.690 just by the people who have a forum account and visit here often enough and who care enough to take part in such a poll.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Let's assume Orbx (or someone else) would make three OLC products for the area for P3D for EUR 30 each, these would generate EUR 12.690 just by the people who have a forum account and visit here often enough and who care enough to take part in such a poll.

You remember the $/€ figure JV once quoted? :):)

2 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

We do not know on which base the development decisions are based. What we do know is that some people are not only interested to buy olc Asia, but even vote and comment here!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

We do not know on which base the development decisions are based. What we do know is that some people are not only interested to buy olc Asia, but even vote and comment here!

That's fine, but I assume that you must be aware that you are betting here on a dead horse and that OLC Asia is never going to happen, as it will be commercial nonsense based on what we know for a couple of months now regarding MSFS

• Confused 1

As long as there are people who fly P3D, XPlane or even FSX, there's a market for these products. This market likely may be gradually giving way to MSFS. TE, Regions and OpenLC will have no future in MSFS. The somewhat limited future in the field of scenery is airports and POI collections.

While landclass technology is of no use for MSFS, it is already there. So, while it is a "past technology", it doesn't need invention first, and we can safely assume that people will buy it for their P3D, just as they will buy airports. There's no difference between the two products from a customer perspective.

This:

On 8/8/2020 at 3:42 PM, pmb said:

In my mind, the cardinal error has been the never-ending delay of the OpenLC series

has been the key error.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:43 PM, bernd1151 said:

I remember the figure, it was 2000 customers. Let's say 600 if we split Asia into three reasonable parts. A quarter of these expressed their commitment to buy an OLC part of Asia. I think that's more than it looks like if we take into account that not all customers visit the forums and express their opinion there.

On 8/15/2020 at 11:41 PM, bernd1151 said:

That's fine, but I assume that you must be aware that you are betting here on a dead horse and that OLC Asia is never going to happen, as it will be commercial nonsense based on what we know for a couple of months now regarding MSFS

I don't think so. The hype apart, OpenLC can still be commercially viable due to the reasons I stated above. It also takes its time until PMDG has all their planes in MSFS, MS has ironed out the worst bugs and people have better hardware.

As it looks now, Orbx has but airports and POI collections in their portfolio. I guess a POI collection is a lot less costly to produce than an OpenLC part, granted. But how much does it yield? They can keep on stating phrases of excitement about "enlarged customer bases" as much as they want, but in my opinion, MSFS has narrowed down their business perspective quite considerably.

Following the logic of the worshippers, people are throwing away their P3Ds and view state-of-the-art LC as a somewhat deficient thing of the past. My guess is that ratio comes when the hype goes. Due to commercial reasons, Orbx will / has to continue to produce for the other platforms, too.

Edited by Captain Lars
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/15/2020 at 11:12 PM, Stillwater said:

You are right. A lot of people care enough for expressing their opinion here by voting. But that's just the die hards!

My guess is that we can multiply this number by 5 at least.

Edited by Captain Lars
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

remember the figure, it was 2000 customers. Let's say 600 if we split Asia into three reasonable parts. A quarter of these expressed their commitment to buy an OLC part of Asia. I think that's more than it looks like if we take into account that not all customers visit the forums and express their opinion there.

You could be right, problem is we don't know. Only Orbx knows, whether OLC SA and Africa made them any money. Maybe you should take it up directly with management, so we get a definite answer on whether they will develop OLC Asia or at least the part of it, that is the more interesting one.

13 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

You could be right, problem is we don't know. Only Orbx knows, whether OLC SA and Africa made them any money. Maybe you should take it up directly with management, so we get a definite answer on whether they will develop OLC Asia or at least the part of it, that is the more interesting one.

Apparently a customer desperately looking for OLC SA and Africa. :D

A single customer looking for a discount, so?? May I quote myself:

15 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Maybe you should take it up directly with management, so we get a definite answer on whether they will develop OLC Asia or at least the part of it, that is the more interesting one.

Edited by bernd1151

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after testing  MSFS for the past couple weeks I must say that it has stunning scenery that far surpasses the landclass-based scenery of past flight sims.

Having said that, the new sim has many flaws and is not ready for prime time.  The photogrammetry, while fabulous in some places, looks horrible in others.  There are other aspects of it which make me question the developers' choices, and I keep asking myself "where were the beta testers???".

Anyway, I've no doubt that, just like FSX, MSFS will improve over time and eventually will be the sim of choice for the vast majority of folks.  It will take years, though, and in the meantime I need a reliable, proven sim with which I can have great weather, great AI traffic, and lots of freeware and payware addons.  Which is why I'm shelving MSFS for the time being and returning full time to P3D.  I suspect that quite a few others are doing the same.

Is there enough of a market for Orbx to make money on openLC Asia?  I suspect there is, although there's no doubt that MSFS will cut into those profits.  I'd certainly buy it.

One thing I find a bit strange is that there has still been no official response from Orbx on whether they will develop openLC Asia or not.  It wouldn't take too much, literally a couple minutes to post a message about this to answer the question once and for all.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, dave302 said:

There are other aspects of it which make me question the developers' choices, and I keep asking myself "where were the beta testers?"

It seems, many of the alpha and beta testers have been busy making YouTube videos. B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, dave302 said:

I'd certainly buy it.

Me too. And for the same reason: I suspect it will take quite the time until MSFS totally fills my interests (study-level planes, sceneries in the level we are used to, all the utilities we use).

And during that time I will continue to buy p3d-addons. But: Only top-prio-add-ons, as I would probably have to pay a significant amount for bringing them into MSFS later. 

In other words: This will be a cheap year for me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thank you for all the support guys. In the meantime, 248 people cast 370 votes. It seems that the hype is slowly fading away and people are realizing what @dave302 stated: it is going to take years until we have MSFS on par with our trusted P3D. If they want me to switch, they'll have to offer at least the standard I already have in P3D.

2 hours ago, dave302 said:

One thing I find a bit strange is that there has still been no official response from Orbx on whether they will develop openLC Asia or not.  It wouldn't take too much, literally a couple minutes to post a message about this to answer the question once and for all.

They'll have reasons not to declare themselves on the matter and I'm not pressing them.

Edit: not yet.

Edited by Captain Lars
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 10:42 PM, Captain Lars said:

224/335

How many more votes can we get until august the 18th? And how many after this date? :D

'Until august the 18th'...

You probably meant until MSFS2020 was released...  well, it's released now, I bought it and I can tell: I still prefer flying P3D with Orbx.

So... yes, come on with openLC Asia! (please!)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/14/2020 at 7:13 PM, Captain Lars said:

it is going to take years until we have MSFS on par with our trusted P3D. If they want me to switch, they'll have to offer at least the standard I already have in P3D.

It might not be years, but some time.

In that time I´d continue to invest in (hopefully upgradeable) P3D stuff.

I hesitate on tools and on planes from certain producers. But I would never hesitate to buy the missing OLC link.

• Like 1

253 voters / 377 votes.

Awesome!

7 hours ago, mfannee said:

'Until august the 18th'...

You probably meant until MSFS2020 was released...  well, it's released now, I bought it and I can tell: I still prefer flying P3D with Orbx.

So... yes, come on with openLC Asia! (please!)

Thank you for your support.

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

It might not be years, but some time.

In that time I´d continue to invest in (hopefully upgradeable) P3D stuff.

I hesitate on tools and on planes from certain producers. But I would never hesitate to buy the missing OLC link.

Exactly. Just yesterday I flew from Addis Ababa to Mogadishu over OpenLC Africa. 8)

Edited by Captain Lars
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

253 voters / 377 votes.

Awesome!

Thank you for your support.

Exactly. Just yesterday I flew from Addis Ababa to Mogadishu over OpenLC Africa. 8)

How strange - yesterday I too took a similar OLC Africa flight  - Cairo to Djbouti - Dassault FA 50 -

O/Night - refueling - to continue today - to Nairobi via Addis Ababa -- and thence to South Africa.

Next month's pension will buy the VC 10 - then I can replicate the BA London flights to Capetown

and the EA flights  on a similar route.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seeing all these posts (mainly MSFS nowadays) and releases (only MSFS nowadays) I fear that our hopes for keeping alive landclass-based sceneries are dead. Consequently there have not been any announcements in the last (many) months. So we will only see eye-candy of the yet-released MSFS airports here, but no further virtual excursions around the globe. A pity for me.

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1