Poll: An OpenLC solution for Asia

Captain Lars

OpenLC products for Asia  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding Asia, I'd support (BUY) the following products, namely:

• OpenLC Light: the allocation of existing Orbx-landclass without specific textures unique to Asia
    • Mini OpenLCs: key areas of heightened interest, e. g. Japan, Thailand etc., complementary to OpenLC Light
    • Multiple OpenLCs: splitting Asia into a few bigger OpenLC areas (e. g. Middle East, Far East, Central Asia)
    • OpenLC Asia: a landclass product for the whole continent

Just some more thoughts on the "multiple OpenLC" variation: For sure one can split Asia in two regions (like it was done with the Americas): Russia/Kazakhstan and the southern part. If both were to be priced like the Americas for a sum of 120 AUD, this might be split in 50/70 here, with the tundra part being cheaper. And given the total of 70 AUD for the southern part, this could even be splitted releases (like is was done for NA as well), starting with a bigger cake and then decreasing towards completion. That could provide an earlier cash return and an ongoing project payment.

Well, this is basically how I understood Lars´ suggestion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Just some more thoughts on the "multiple OpenLC" variation: For sure one can split Asia in two regions (like it was done with the Americas): Russia/Kazakhstan and the southern part. If both were to be priced like the Americas for a sum of 120 AUD, this might be split in 50/70 here, with the tundra part being cheaper. And given the total of 70 AUD for the southern part, this could even be splitted releases (like is was done for NA as well), starting with a bigger cake and then decreasing towards completion. That could provide an earlier cash return and an ongoing project payment.

Well, this is basically how I understood Lars´ suggestion.

You understand my suggestion exactly as it was intended and added details. :)

The suggested plan to split the remaining 41 million square km of Asia into two or three parts makes sense, absolutely. Northern America encompasses 25 million square km, its southern counterpart 18 million. Europe in the borders of OpenLC EU not more than 9 million. Africa plus the Arabian peninsula covers 33 million square km.

My suggestion would be to split Asia into two parts, a northeastern one and a southwestern one. I did a little calculating and here's what I come up with:

OpenLC Asia Northeast:

23.581.000 km2

The Russian territory east of OLC EU, Mongolia, Eastern China, the Korean Peninsula, Taiwan and Japan.

OpenLC Asia Southwest:

20.103.600 km2

The rest, including the Caucasus, Middle East, Central Asia, India, the Himalayas, Tibet, Xinjian, Southeast Asia incl. Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, optionally stretching to some of the Pacific islands to the east.

This repartition of Asia would allow for two almost equally sized landmasses that both feature a nice number of showcases and areas of heightened interest: the cities of mainland China like Beijing, Shanghai, Guanghzou, Japan and Korea for OpenLC Asia Northeast; Israel, the glorious mountains of Central Asia incl. the Himalayas, India, Thailand and Singapore for OpenLC Asia Southwest. For longhaulers, OLC-ANE (the northeast) would allow the route from Europe to all of eastern Asia, OLC-ASW (the southwest) would make the routes to India, Singapore and South East Asia possible.

I edited a little map to illustrate my point, OLC-ANE in red, OLC-ASW in blue:

l0nnpmF.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

My suggestion would be to split Asia into two parts, a northeastern one and a southwestern one.

That sounds and looks really tasty, Lars. And the map is a nice work.

Indeed with that split both product parts would be attractive.

• Like 1

Wasn’t the original (way back in the midst of time) plan to have Russia as a stand alone anyway?  I’d be inclined to carve China and Japan off, along with SE Asia and Indonesia/PNG/Borneo, have Western Asia/India/Middle East/Persia as one, and Russia still stand alone.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 12:33 PM, Mickel said:

Wasn’t the original (way back in the midst of time) plan to have Russia as a stand alone anyway?  I’d be inclined to carve China and Japan off, along with SE Asia and Indonesia/PNG/Borneo, have Western Asia/India/Middle East/Persia as one, and Russia still stand alone.

This might have been the original idea.

OpenLC Asia North:

14.693.800 km2

OpenLC Asia South:

15.023.800 km2

OpenLC Asia East:

13.967.000 km2

I see it a bit problematic with this suggestion that Siberia / OLC Asia North doesnt hold any special points of interest, so that the question arises, why anyone should pay for it (though I certainly would). Or they treat Russia as an extension of OpenLC North / Canada and give it away for free or for around 10 Euros. Anyway, I drawed a map of your suggestion:

6cZwKXv.png

Let me show you another suggestion:

OpenLC Asia Northeast:

23.851.000 km2

OpenLC Asia Southwest:

15.023.800 km2

OpenLC Asia Pacific:

5.079.800+ km2

tAVeqGT.png

In this vision, South East Asia is a landclass region on its own, together with the islands of the South Pacific Ocean. This option would still allow for a lot of fancy destinations for each of the three parts and give Orbx the opportunity to model some of the Pacific Islands in greater detail.

Alternatively, you could view OpenLC Pacific as one of the stages of a two-stage release of OLC Asia Southwest, alongside with what @Stillwater pointed out. The possibilities are endless.

Edited by Captain Lars

But wait we cannot leave Turkey out at all

As far as I know it is not included in Europe or Africa right?

A post I made with pictures of Turkey was deleted last year ( I'll never forget that) and I deduct is because there was no land class for it though it is covered by Global, trees, buildings and vector products, therefore the post should not have been deleted

But let's make sure to include Turkey as it is not highlighted in any map. I Know middle east is mentioned but let's colored Turkey too :)

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

6cZwKXv.png

This fragmentation looks more doable to me based on the size of the territories compared to Africa (proportion) and I would go for red, purple  Turkey, green

just my opinion

Cheers

• Like 1

Well well well

Just look at this...

Turkey is part of Europe Land Class

rCzSFUJ.jpg

So if Turkey area has:

Orbx Global

Orbx Vector

Orbx Trees

Orbx Buildings

And Orbx Europe Open Land class products

Why my post of pictures of Istambul was deleted? I was only showing Orbx products then...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Carlos,

do you still have a copy of the picture?

It must have been some time ago.

Hi Nick

Yes sir I do

I just have to search for them among my 10K :)

m8V0k58.jpg

It will take time thought. I felt it was a nice post, maybe I'll upload it again for approval??

Thanks for your concern, very much appreciated

Cheers

Carlos

15 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Well well well

Just look at this...

Turkey is part of Europe Land Class:(

rCzSFUJ.jpg

So if Turkey area has:

Orbx Global

Orbx Vector

Orbx Trees

Orbx Buildings

And Orbx Europe Open Land class products

Why my post of pictures of Istambul was deleted? I was only showing Orbx products then...

What the heck … A part of Cyprus is Turkish :angry:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I understand what you mean, Mikee. However, let us turn this post back to the discussion on OLC Asia, okay? ;)

Of course  !  Absolutely no problem Gerold :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here's the result of the poll I made where simmers like to fly to in Asia as of june 7th 2020. I think it might be of relevance for this thread, too, since we discussed the possible partitioning of Asia in terms of OpenLC.

ZJ9yVZ1.png

How I made this: I divided the maximum number of votes into four and gave the regions dots in four sizes according to the number of votes received by each.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Here's the result of the poll I made where simmers like to fly to in Asia as of june 7th 2020. I think it might be of relevance for this thread, too, since we discussed the possible partitioning of Asia in terms of OpenLC.

ZJ9yVZ1.png

How I made this: I divided the maximum number of votes into four and gave the regions dots in four sizes according to the number of votes received by each.

You're so German!

Excellent

Thanks you Lars

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2020 at 7:35 PM, Captain Lars said:

Here's the result of the poll I made where simmers like to fly to in Asia as of june 7th 2020. I think it might be of relevance for this thread, too, since we discussed the possible partitioning of Asia in terms of OpenLC

Summarises distinctly - what we in Australia see and expect those spots to be - by definition -  South East Asia - or what people in the Americas and Europe

call "The Far East"

In Market Research terms - What percentage was the total of contributors / general Orbx forum contributors ??

------------------------------------------- What percentage of the Orbx Customers - past and present - live in the area defined as S.E Asia - including Australia/NZ ?

Orbx - if you did do think more of - what seems to be the "want" - I would be the first to give you the money now - on trust 

as I once did in May 2009 - when you wanted to join the Aussie Regional  colours into 1 programme - i.e. FTX Australia SP3 - pre order.

- or maybe Orbx are just waiting to see the impact MS might bring later this year - since we haven't yet seen any screenshots of the S.E Asia scenery !!

@John Heaton

For us Europeans South East Asia and Far East is not the same.

Far East is China (at least parts of it), Japan, the Koreas.

South East Asia is Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, The Philippines,  East Timor, Brunei. I hope I haven't forgotten one.

Edit: I have forgotten one in South East Asia, namely Singapore.

Edited by wolfko

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello John,

do you really want your address on the internet, or is it someone else's now?

No worries Nick - thanks for the heads up - I was to lazy to get out my photoshop to black it out

time has moved on since those days and form no part of the digital world that matters.

(I kept the document just to prove to Roger that I was a bona fide customer all those

years ago so that he would let me have Aus V1 12 months ago free of charge - 

but he wouldn't accept the UK bit so I had to buy again.);)

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

@John Heaton

For us Europeans South East Asia and Far East is not the same.

Far East is China (at least parts of it), Japan, the Koreas.

South East Asia is Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, The Philippines,  East Timor, Brunei. I hope I haven't forgotten one.

Edit: I have forgotten one in South East Asia, namely Singapore.

When I was a European of North of England/UK domesticity - 50 years - the Far East was a derogatory term for all the above - because it was a description of "shoddy goods"

stemming mainly from Hong Kong - Taiwan (you missed off) -  Japan(cars) and the Philippines. Mainly plastic toys and cotton goods Very little came from Communist  China.

The current name as far as we - in the modern day Far East - are  concerned is the description "The Asean Nations" of which all of the above are members 

- and the 3 others you might have forgotten --- Australia - New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

However - my point was where the largest spots on the chart were - and should be the starting point for a much easier starting point for Orbx

as a marketing research in terms of SQ Kms - whatever it can be politically called 

13 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

When I was a European of North of England/UK domesticity - 50 years - the Far East was a derogatory term for all the above - because it was a description of "shoddy goods"

stemming mainly from Hong Kong - Taiwan (you missed off) -  Japan(cars) and the Philippines. Mainly plastic toys and cotton goods Very little came from Communist  China.

The current name as far as we - in the modern day Far East - are  concerned is the description "The Asean Nations" of which all of the above are members 

- and the 3 others you might have forgotten --- Australia - New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

However - my point was where the largest spots on the chart were - and should be the starting point for a much easier starting point for Orbx

as a marketing research in terms of SQ Kms - whatever it can be politically called 

How times have changed. Now all the 'shoddy' goods come from the UK :D

7 hours ago, John Heaton said:

John, you are correct, of course I have forgotten Taiwan. 

Austalia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea, together with Irian Jaya (the western, Indonesian part of the Island of New Guinea) we count among Oceania though.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 3:39 PM, Captain Lars said:

Only three votes left to the next milestone: 197 voters / 296 votes.

Do you have any updates, Lars? I would not be unhappy to see the 2000 voters limit reached... and to fly around Asia in proper scenery...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Let me see if I can do something about it

Can this be shared as a link? Like when there is an announcement of a new product?

I always share it in forums

Thank you very much, Carlos. Any help is appreciated!

In any case, this should be share-able by posting the URL.

16 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Thank you very much, Carlos. Any help is appreciated!

In any case, this should be share-able by posting the URL.

You're welcome Lars

I posted in a forum in a facebook group which is pretty popular. let's see this attracts interest

I posted this and the new region one of course :lol:

Cheers

Carlos

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 3:05 AM, KIM Young said:

How is the situation in ,OpenLC Asia?

Well, I think the latest Orbx scenery release can answer that question.

TrueEarth Oregon, yet another area for which a detailed scenery package already exists. 

I really don't think that Orbx is interested in pulling resources away from something that they apparently believe is a money-maker in order to work on openLC scenery, even if they did promise to cover the entire world with openLC.

Dave

• Sad 1

220 voters / 329 votes.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:05 AM, KIM Young said:

How is the situation in ,OpenLC Asia?

I'm afraid I can't really answer this question, you would have to ask Orbx. My take on it is that MSFS 2020 ruined OpenLC, since everyone seems to believe that the new one is going to be the solution to absolutely everything. People rejoice at the sight of a (quite dull) default airport and think that they are not going to need any scenery addon products anymore (well, according to YT comments).

1 hour ago, dave302 said:

Well, I think the latest Orbx scenery release can answer that question.

TrueEarth Oregon, yet another area for which a detailed scenery package already exists. 

I really don't think that Orbx is interested in pulling resources away from something that they apparently believe is a money-maker in order to work on openLC scenery, even if they did promise to cover the entire world with openLC.

Dave

Has anyone ever raised the question to which ends you're going to need a TE product in MSFS 2020, a sim that's based on photogrammetry on a world wide scale? I'm never going to understand why people want the same regions done over and over again.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting question Lars. I will wait until the dust is settled, then we know how many problems come with fsxx. Be it hardware, missing planes or other add-ons or whatever.

And for this time, I would still be investing in p3d additions, especially from Orbx. And especially OLC...

• Like 1