Great Lakes

Stillwater

... and quite a distance today. Two factors influence the choice of plane: Not all airports are present in the navigation databases of my jetplanes. And I want to see the scenery from low altitude. So I chose to take the King Air for this leg out of Lilongwe.

now1ufN.jpg

JFlK6rQ.jpg

First a short visit to the huge Lake Malawi. Africas 3rd biggest lake, 560 km long and up to 80 km wide.

lcXYoVV.jpg

oNkAkku.jpg

Cape Maclear.

9Ibl1Kd.jpg

qgCR7wI.jpg

The airstrip ahead is named Monkey Bay. What kind of ground crew may be employed here?

RE563P1.jpg

We leave Malawi and turn west over the Chirobwe Hills to Mocambique, ...

LnNmxTS.jpg

... Songo airstrip, ...

6S64CY9.jpg

... towards the Cahora Bassa Lake. The name means "finish the job", and it is Africas 4th biggest artificial lake, about 290 km long.

Ynnrw6L.jpg

Some lack of vector data to its western end. A pity that shows us how difficult it is to get public data for every square meter of the world.

uZWD2wR.jpg

The next airfield is Kariba. Lake Kariba is the world's largest man-made lake and reservoir by volume. It lies 1,300 kilometres (810 mi) upstream from the Indian Ocean, along the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe. Lake Kariba was filled between 1958 and 1963 following the completion of the Kariba Dam at its northeastern end, flooding the Kariba Gorge on the Zambezi River.

CMpuDqK.jpg

jYxI7U9.jpg

Great impression of the ground near Sinazongwe.

SXqerKJ.jpg

Todays destination is hidden behind a cloud...

Nhl2nDH.jpg

... Livingstone FLLI.

aVtZQDc.jpg

u4yxDJy.jpg

I needed to change vehicles for an exploration of the city, ...

OxYEAMW.jpg

... the nearby River Sambesi...

ztj9E9D.jpg

... and the Victoria Falls.

evq4fDu.jpg

Mosi-oa-Tunya, "The Smoke That Thunders". While it is neither the highest nor the widest waterfall in the world, Victoria Falls is classified as the largest, based on its combined width of 1,708 metres (5,604 ft)[5] and height of 108 metres (354 ft),[6] resulting in the world's largest sheet of falling water. Victoria Falls is roughly twice the height of North America's Niagara Falls and well over twice the width of its Horseshoe Falls. 

Usually. In 2019 unusual low rain falls have lowered the water flowing down to a small and thin fall only. Global Climate change and changed climate patterns are suggested to have caused this. Victoria Falls are facing the worst drought in a century https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Falls . In February 2020, National Geographic, announced that the extreme weather conditions were threatening the natural existence of falls. This is because of the rising temperatures that makes the region grow hotter and drier.

zFcYYED.jpg

A wonderful set Gerold. What a great addition OLC Africa is to our places to fly and good to see Victoria Falls represented so well.

It was predicted our dams would never fill again but many have been over flowing with the recent heavy rains along the east coast.

The broad acre farmers are dancing in their paddocks as our drought has broken and with a wetter than average winter forecasted.

18 minutes ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

59 minutes ago, Dario said:

Lovely flight. These clouds are amazing! 

Thanks Dario. Not only amazing to view, but also a challenge to fly. I need some altitude to get the scenery crisp and clear, and there are also some unknown mountains around here. Low hanging clouds really become a problem then... but I usually do what ASCA wants!

58 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

A wonderful set Gerold. What a great addition OLC Africa is to our places to fly and good to see Victoria Falls represented so well.

It was predicted our dams would never fill again but many have been over flowing with the recent heavy rains along the east coast.

The broad acre farmers are dancing in their paddocks as our drought has broken and with a wetter than average winter forecasted.

Thank you Martyn. Indeed OLC Africa shows here how diverse it is - and how much work has gone into this product.

Lets wait up and see how the extremes between wet winters and dry summers will develop. Our farmers moan whatever comes (soil either too hard or too wet), that is no scientific indication to me.

1 hour ago, lifejogger said:

Great shots of Africa Gerold and thanks for the narration.

Thank you, John!

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Heck of a post Gerold !! .

Thank you, John!

If you both continue to comment in short sequence, I will have double the fun but save a lot of typing!

2 hours ago, mikee said:

Great Shots Gerold , I like them all :)

Thank you Mikee!

31 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

This is within a lake?

Epic journey, Gerold!

Thanks Lars. Yes, this peninsula and Domwe Island are within Lake Malawi. As mentioned above, this lake has a maximum extension of 560*80 km, there is enough water around.

588nGki.jpg

1 hour ago, schtroumf said:

Superb trip and beautiful waterfall:)

Thank you Olivier! It was a long virtual travel to that place, but well worth it. And I have heard some people even travel trere in real life ???:D!

8 minutes ago, TerribleT said:

Outstanding post Gerold as usual, gripping narration along side excellent captures, thank you!

Thanks TT. The captures were easy to make and hard to select. The area looks great in the sim - and I did not know it at all before. I would´t even know the countries... :banghead:

9 hours ago, adambar said:

Wonderful post Gerold, well done. :)

Thank you Adam!

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Great shots. Too bad the falls weren't a little more detailed but still cool to look at.

Thanks Jack - and I totally agree. Room for improvement, not much, but some. And, maybe, some enthusiastic soul could even do this as freeware scenery add-on?

4 hours ago, Hauer said:

Stunning series & great descriptions making it extra interesting... well done, Gerold!

Herman

Thank you Herman. "The way is the destination" is a saying in German...

3 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Wonderful set Gerold! I like the terrain. And again. lessons learned.

Thanks Ben. I can´t tell you how much I learned during this flight. Orbx really enhances my geographical knowledge... ;)

6 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Amazing collection! Must have been a great flight.

It was - in preparation, flight and even during combination of this post!

6 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Nice shots!!!!

Thank you JJJ!

Archived