Where the streets have no name

Stillwater

Leaving Madagascar shows the borders of a) P3D´s airports, b) my livery collection and c) my geographical knowledge:

a) and b) can already be seen at Mahajanga airport (FMNM): Mediocre buildings and a South American airline in use...

fgRLnCb.jpg

What we´ve got now is a very diverse landscape, even at remote places like this.

AsuU64l.jpg

XV5L5ct.jpg

And now... the 10 Dollar question is c): What is the name of the strait between Madagascar and Africa?

e2tnwOg.jpg

Under the clouds the coast of Mocambique shows up.

6loQaEF.jpg

Thank you Orbx - even flying at high altitudes shows the progress in Africa´s scenery.

evieBll.jpg

hWp95vH.jpg

The big blue area in the background is no mistake, it is the huge Lake Malawi.

FugPZxB.jpg

Descending downwind into Lilongwe.

l15wKV3.jpg

Don´t expect much from the default airports, ...

Tnf6QCS.jpg

... but at least there is a building and an afcad which works with GSX.

Jt8MGfj.jpg

I owe you the answer to the question above (and the post title): My ols school atlas knows that the sea between Madagascar and Africa is named "Strait of Madagascar". My learning of the morning!

7 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

absolutely stunning shots.

Great livery!

Thank you Eberhard. I was looking for African liveries for this Airbus, but no success. At least this one seemed colourful enough.

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A wonderful set and livery Gerold.

We are Green with envy with what you have taught us about Africa!:wacko::wacko:

Thanks, mate! Good to have you back, here in my little geography lessons :ph34r:!

5 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Thanks for the tour of Africa Gerold!!!!!!!!!!!

You are welcome, John!

4 hours ago, Hauer said:

Lovely series... well done, Gerold!

We're really putting this long-forgotten FS continent (with Orbx's great help too) on the map...

Herman

Yes, that´s it Herman. So great to have this OpenLC project, as of today it would be impossible to cover entire continents with photoscenery or "full-fat" Orbx region packs. This is the way to go with current hardware.

4 hours ago, mikee said:

Beautiful shots Gerold :)

thank you Mikee.

3 hours ago, Caluma65 said:

Great shots.  These are making me want to explore this part of the world.  Cheers,

Calum

Did I get you hooked? Or do you need a little bit more...;)?

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Cool set and that song, U2, I like it.

Thank you Jack. I always think of some creative post titles, and this one came to me during breakfast... now I can´t forget the "earworm"!

2 hours ago, schtroumf said:

Beautiful livery, well done:o

Thank you Olivier!

2 hours ago, BradB said:

I dunno , the title reminds me of a song ........ grand shots Gerold . B):)

You want it, you get it, John. The full dosage.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:58 AM, Stillwater said:

Leaving Madagascar shows the borders of a) P3D´s airports, b) my livery collection and c) my geographical knowledge:

a) and b) can already be seen at Mahajanga airport (FMNM): Mediocre buildings and a South American airline in use...

Gerold, I'm so happy that your keyboard is working again.

And now... the 10 Dollar question is c): What is the name of the strait between Madagascar and Africa?

The answer is: The Mozambique Channel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique_Channel

What we´ve got now is a very diverse landscape, even at remote places like this.

Thank you Orbx - even flying at high altitudes shows the progress in Africa´s scenery.

You are absolutely right, and I could cry when I think of Asia and that we may never see the world complete. :(

... but at least there is a building and an afcad which works with GSX.

Really cool to see you flying to such remote places! Thank you for offering this flight.

26 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Gerold, I'm so happy that your keyboard is working again.

Oh yes, it was a pleasure to see the a-key recovering.

The answer is: The Mozambique Channel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique_Channel

Hmm, who should I trust? wikipedia or the Diercke Weltatlas? Being grown up with the printed version I know what I will stick to. 

P: We have versions of the Diercke from print date 1942 to 2009 here at home. Amazing to read and compare.

Really cool to see you flying to such remote places! Thank you for offering this flight.

You are welcome, Lars. Remote these places are according to Navigraph, it is not possible to add some of these places to a flight plan. But... Lilongwe is not so remote - it is the capital in Malawi, nearly 1 Million inhabitants...

You are absolutely right, and I could cry when I think of Asia and that we may never see the world complete. :(

Seeing this OLC Africa so brilliant, I strongly hope for the continuation in Asia: This product is so great, and will be suited for weaker computers in stand-alone simulators for some years to come. I keep my fingers crossed :rolleyes:!

27 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

You are welcome, Lars. Remote these places are according to Navigraph, it is not possible to add some of these places to a flight plan. But... Lilongwe is not so remote - it is the capital in Malawi, nearly 1 Million inhabitants...

And China has over a billion inhabitants, yet it is rather remote in the flight simulator world... :D Just kidding. I should go there, but I am currently busy carrying passengers from their Mediterranean Easter Holiday destinations back to mother Germany. So many options. There's a South African airline (Comair) flying in the livery of British Airways to destinations like Mauritius, Harare and Victoria Falls. I could even hop over to St. Helena.

13 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

There's a South African airline (Comair) flying in the livery of British Airways to destinations like Mauritius, Harare and Victoria Falls. I could even hop over to St. Helena.

THAT is the reason why UTL puts BA liveries to even the remotest airports! You made my day, Lars!

Archived