Is the new P3d worth it??

shane280172

Just now, shane280172 said:

I dare say it will have a couple of bugs early on? Maybe best to wait a while.

I just switched onto AVSIM and received the "notification" that I had 37 notifications

in the last 6 hours since I was on B4

Guess what the subjects were ----- all of the P3D V5 - How ??etc etc

I am very happy with it.

CPU, mb and ram are 7 year old. With 2x recent gtx1070. Performance much better than v4 and with higher settings. Have installed most of my Orbx ADD-ONS using the ."fast lane" option.

No problems my end.

Cheers

gibo

I usually don't skip any flight sim release just because i am such a fanatic of all sims, however this time i decided not to yet.. and don't know if i will. It just doesn't have that wow factor for me to switch, i've got x plane and 4.5 to keep me busy until MSFS. I hope i do get into their alpha though that would mean i most likely wont jump to v5. 

Also just to make it clear, v5 apparently has a few issues from what i read in the forums, but which software doesn't on release? However apparently there's a big performance jump. You decide!

37 minutes ago, gibo said:

I am very happy with it.

CPU, mb and ram are 7 year old. With 2x recent gtx1070. Performance much better than v4 and with higher settings. Have installed most of my Orbx ADD-ONS using the ."fast lane" option.

No problems my end.

Cheers

gibo

Gibo

For 'Fast Lane' to work, do you need v4 & v5 on the same SSD or HD?

TTM

For me it was absolutely worth it to upgrade to v5. My v4.5 wasn't running too great (my settings were definitely too high for my i7 4790K + GTX 1070), but now I can run even higher settings even in 4k resolution. I have moved almost all Orbx sceneries over to v5 and so far only found a few bugs, that could also just be my setup. I have not seen any VRAM crashes, like other people reported. I do mostly use PhotoReal scenery (MSE)  + my own autogen with Orbx airports and it's a joy flying for hours without blurry textures and popping trees. Of course, it all depends on the other addons that are not yet available for v5 if they increase the load too much. But so far I still have headroom.

My CPU is well balanced over all cores and my GPU is loaded more heavily than my CPU is, something I've never seen before. IO from disk also seems a bit better, but not by much, so that could just be a side effect of a new install.

Unfortunately, every system is different and I can totally understand that some people are having problems.

For me it was “Meh...” at first. Plain looked awful. Then I remembered I had been using Orbx products in P3d for over three years now.  I had forgotten just how plain and “meh” these simulators look without an Orbx touch!

Added some Orbx products back yesterday (global base, a few regions and some airports). All is back to normal and I’ve moved from “meh” to “wow”

-Braun

If you can afford it then, yep, it is worth it. Now, Orbx scenery is a must if you had Orbx scenery in v4.5 etc. All of our eyes are different. What you see as red is not the shade that I see so shade as fits you.

8 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Gibo

For 'Fast Lane' to work, do you need v4 & v5 on the same SSD or HD?

TTM

TTM,

I have v4 & v5 on separate SSD Drives due to space. I selected v5 when selecting toi nstall and was given an option of where to install. I selected Install to my v5 Directory.

btw, the "Enhanced Atmospherics (Beta)" selection in graphics looks nice. It certainly changes the world appearance.

Cheers,

gibo

Hello,

I have removed two posts.

The question is "Is the new P3d worth it??"

The topic is not an invitation to conduct a personal critique and comments from those who

have not purchased P3D v5 are by definition of no value.

It is also not an invitation to put forward one's view on the company policies of the various

developers of simulators.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Josh Sawyer said:

Is it correct that the "Enhanced Atmospherics (Beta)" option does not yet support cloud shadows?

Yes, that's correct. There is a general darkening of the ground depending on cloud coverage, but no individual cloud shadows. TBH, the "beta" label is a bit of a stretch ("late alpha" would be appropriate), but the feature shows some promise. The clouds need a lot of work, but the lighting and light scattering are a big step in the right direction.

Very much worth it and whilst the enhanced atmospherics don’t provide for cloud shadows right now they do make the sky more immersive in my opinion.  V5 brings a crisper view and I’m seeing better performance.  I’m enjoying reacquainting myself with some Orbx fields I’ve not been to in a long time.    

As I mentioned previously, I have a huge amount of Orbx stuff along with Aussie Airports, A2A planes, PMDG planes, Active Sky, Chaseplane, GSX. Because of space I do not keep the installers. Once I download these products I delete the installers from the download folder. (I do not have a large c Drive)

All installations go into my E: drive with all my P3d stuff.

Will I have to re-download and install everything again or is there an easier way?

3 hours ago, shane280172 said:

As I mentioned previously, I have a huge amount of Orbx stuff along with Aussie Airports, A2A planes, PMDG planes, Active Sky, Chaseplane, GSX. Because of space I do not keep the installers. Once I download these products I delete the installers from the download folder. (I do not have a large c Drive)

All installations go into my E: drive with all my P3d stuff.

Will I have to re-download and install everything again or is there an easier way?

2TB external drives are extremely cheap and worth the extra expense in order to save those installers.

Hi Dave,

While it is essentially the same addons we are using, v5 is more fluid, and it has a more 'atmospheric' appearance.

You'll see that if you check out some of the newer screenshots.

You planes will fly exactly the same.

On 4/16/2020 at 6:44 AM, Ridvan Celik said:

It just doesn't have that wow factor for me to switch

I totally agree

Some shots look great but sunset for me is the best time for flying and the clouds they made and those colors look awful unrealistic, pure cotton candy, so I rather wait too.

Some clouds look like a bunch of whipped cream all over shapeless and the colorful they make my hair (hypothetically speaking jaja) stand on end

3GSqoCp.jpg

3 hours ago, ozboater said:

Hi Dave,

While it is essentially the same addons we are using, v5 is more fluid, and it has a more 'atmospheric' appearance.

You'll see that if you check out some of the newer screenshots.

You planes will fly exactly the same.

I don't have V5 yet - but keen to see screenshots of the new sim

However - more and more I see that many of them - purported to be atmospheric -

reminds me of the early days in Photo manipulation - the early days of Photoimpact - Paintshop Pro- 

and Photoshop - and the use  of an "Effect" called "Posterize" which turned a photo into a sort of watercolour - or 

painted "poster' effect -  which used to remind me of a Disney type landscape - very unreal.

I came across an  item on Avsim from a regular contributor - "Chock " - and his review of V5 from which - incidentally - I learned a lot

about DX 12 and a good interpretation of each item new in the sim. However - last few minutes of his video of him

flying around Liverpool airport-  show exactly what I mean when he demonstrates this so called "Atmospheric"

https://youtu.be/X3GKXR6XHnk

There is also a technique in video manipulations to give these atmospherics  - and I wonder if they are making use of

such a technique via Nvidia? - a sort of early VHS effect - which we all remember in a "Blurry" way.

PS -----  @ carlosqr -------- I love your cotton candy description - sums my view above - perfectly !!

To Ozboater

Whilst we are still on the subject of the new sim and its presentation

I had a good long look at your community screenshots - and your separate contribution elsewhere

with the Imagur URL

In the latter - your first shots are what I would expect - but I'd like to query the 4 that you used in the C/Shots

As well as what I commented on above re posterization  - I was interested in another Post "Photoshop" photograph operation -

i.e. "sharpening"

On those 4 shots  - did you have the effect facility - offered by Nvidia of changing the "sharpening" of the pic.-  i.e. the Southampton pics.

I refer to the forum article by Renault some weeks back and speaking of various settings.

The reason I ask is that I have also noticed on  - quite a few of other peoples shots -  that have the same - "over" sharpening effect -

a common mistake used by some photographers   when reviewing what they have taken   - and who should now better.

(I have an live example of a major wedding photographer taking 627 shots of my granddaughters wedding  -  in post production  - 

hitting the wrong key - "Batch" - when adjusting one particular shot - not having saved the set in BMP first)

On 4/24/2020 at 8:57 PM, John Heaton said:

To Ozboater

...>  - but I'd like to query the 4 that you used in the C/Shots

As well as what I commented on above re posterization  - I was interested in another Post "Photoshop" photograph operation -

i.e. "sharpening"

On those 4 shots  - did you have the effect facility - offered by Nvidia of changing the "sharpening" of the pic.-  i.e. the Southampton pics.

I refer to the forum article by Renault some weeks back and speaking of various settings.

Hi John, and all good questions.

There was no 'post production' at all. They were straight screenshots using Game Bar to capture them.

Being 4K images, they had a big file size, so the only thing I did was to re-save again as .jpg using 80 or 90% quality setting to reduce the file size using IrfanView.  No sharpening, contrast, colour manipulation done at all. If anything, this reduced the quality of the .jpeg as it softens the image just slightly.

I was thinking of those on laptops and people like me with internet you have to pedal.

You are welcome to the originals, Some of the cpu pics were saved a couple of times and are a little blurry. Jpg re-saves does that.

The only nVidia software I use is  for the drivers for my 1080. I uncheck everything else when installing nVidia (even then they still force some sh.t on you and I don't want it or use it).

When this lockdown stuff finishes, John, and you are visiting your daughter in Coffs you are welcome to come over and have a look and a play. Gotta say, True Earth HD is utterly spectacular with maxed settings and ALL autogen and detail on a 65" 4K screen. While I will certainly buy MFS when it comes out, I will certainly be keeping my P3Dv5 as the screen experience is incredible.

Cheers

P3D5 and Orbx is as good as it gets until fs2020. I am frankly blown away at P3D5 compared to 4.5. If you aren't going to run enhanced atmospherics then don't bother but the atmospherics turn it into a whole other realm of realism. The lighting and sky/cloud enhancements are amazing now. There are a ton of bugs and crashes though. It needs work without a doubt.

7 minutes ago, j0nx said:

There are a ton of bugs and crashes though.

God all mighty

I rather stay on the safe side meanwhile

My biggest fear is that some or all of my FSX sceneries stop working in this version.

Through the updates it had happened with just a few but I fear the worst and it would be sad if happens as there is lack of interest in updating most of them, being the majority for Latin America.

Thanks

Carlos

17 hours ago, ozboater said:

And John, the 4K pic in 'My Story has no reduction at all. And also no fps/performance bullshit.

Just the beautiful experience.

no Worries Mate !!

My Photography manipulation - background makes me suspicious of what LM might have included in the new sim

that has nothing to do with flying - but designed to compete with a number of MS2020 inclusions - 

that of the many colourful scenes - Rainbows - sunrises and good colour in scenery - especially in Suburban scenes

that show no sharpening and appear natural.

I haven't installed V5 yet - and having read a multitude of comments in AVSIM - (strange not too many in OrbyxP3D Forums ?)

- I doubt that I will be risking the headaches for a while - certainly until this "Beta" situation  is resolved - and because

a number of them seem to be based on my theory as to the problem - not least the problem that 1 in 5 males are colour blind

where monitor visuals are concerned - (see below).

I am basing my comments in the last few posts on the screen shots that I have seen - leading to my Queries on appearance issues

and the sneaking suspicion that LM have introduced "Photoshop" techniques into the sliders and other choices

- such as Brightness - Contrast - Hue and posterization -coupled with Blur -  to obtain "atmosphere" - as an example of  - the various scenes

I have seen so far.

I just wish that posters would state the P3D version they have used  - and whether they are using 2K or 4K  - HD or UHD in 

their computer P3D settings - the monitor setting having no bearing - unless the complaints are based upon visual appearance

caused by having different settings --e.g. HDR setting on a non HDR Monitor - or  different resolution settings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 12:30 PM, shane280172 said:

Hi guys,

I currently run P3dV4, have a reverse image search email checker port checker stack of add ons, a stack of Orbx stuff. Im happy to do a clean install but is it worth the Extra $$.

I run a 1080ti card with an I9 9900k cpu and 4K Acer monitor. Will I be blown away????

Performance much better than v4 and with higher settings. Have installed most of my Orbx ADD-ONS using the ."fast lane" option.

I tried it for a whole day by a friend of mine but I wasn't able to find the wow factor!

My 4.5 runs optimal (butter smooth as many say:) ) and I just finished some month ago all my personal edited aircrafts to run on 64bit.

For me the v5 release seems a bit rushed  ahead of comming Fs2020. A hotfix with that massive list of fixes only after two weeks

says for me that they are well known befor the release...

Archived