scenery order and how to manage

hello,

at the moment I try to build up my new P3D5-sim. Until now I only have installed: globalbase, openLC's and some regions like Germany North, south… SODE is within and for evaluations a link from Ultimate Trafficlive.

In V4 I never was thinking About the order of external linked in addons via addon.xml. Now, in V5, I want to use this method and so I started to install everything in an external library. But flying in the sim is not the same like in V4. Especially surroundings of Berlin and Munich are looking strange. Having a look into my addons I can see another order like in V4. Globalbase is above at all but the american regions are below openLC North America. Is it okay so? If not, how can I move them into the right order?

Unbenannt-1.jpg

Unbenannt-2.jpg

Edited by The Merowinger

8 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi

With the scenery items being install via the .xml method as yours are, it does not matter what order they appear in the list. That is only relevant when they are installed the old method and appear in the scenery.cfg.

This may be right as long it concerns Orbx titles alone. But as soon as other add-ons come into the game it may play a role. That's how I understood it so far. Or am I totally wrong?

3 hours ago, The Merowinger said:

Thanks Doug,

that means that it doesn't matter anymore if a region is above or below openLC in the scenery.cfg?

No, that is not correct, the items that are in the scenery.cfg have been installed the old original way and the scenery order does matter, these items have been installed to the simulator root folder.

The items installed using the .xml method are installed outside the simulator in a library folder, with these items the scenery library order does not matter, these are the items found in the P3D Addons menu.

All the items in your screen shot are installed outside the simulator and will not appear in the scenery.cfg

The "scenery.cfg" and "scenery library" are not the same thing.

Both the .xml installed and the original method installed items will be visible in the scenery library. 

The .xml items will show as greyed out, and can be activated/deactivated in the P3D Addons menu, and appear in the "addons-cfg"

But only the items installed in the simulator root folder appear in the "scenery.cfg"

Edited by Doug Sawatzky
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, hjmx said:

This may be right as long it concerns Orbx titles alone. But as soon as other add-ons come into the game it may play a role. That's how I understood it so far. Or am I totally wrong?

I believe you are wrong.

Thanks Doug,

I understand and now I see the difference between scenery.cfg and the scenery library which is visible in the sim. And I saw that the addons via xml are fixed; they can't be moved. So everything seems to be okay with my settings.

For third party-addons I will set the insertion point at above these all so they will be installed above the Orbx-addons.

Kai

Edited by The Merowinger
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 12:35 PM, Doug Sawatzky said:

No, that is not correct, the items that are in the scenery.cfg have been installed the old original way and the scenery order does matter, these items have been installed to the simulator root folder.

The items installed using the .xml method are installed outside the simulator in a library folder, with these items the scenery library order does not matter, these are the items found in the P3D Addons menu.

All the items in your screen shot are installed outside the simulator and will not appear in the scenery.cfg

The "scenery.cfg" and "scenery library" are not the same thing.

Both the .xml installed and the original method installed items will be visible in the scenery library. 

The .xml items will show as greyed out, and can be activated/deactivated in the P3D Addons menu, and appear in the "addons-cfg"

But only the items installed in the simulator root folder appear in the "scenery.cfg"

Hi,

Thank you for the clarification.

That brings me to a question. What is the purpose of the "Insert Point" option because whatever changes you make, they don't seem to have the desired result, e.g. I have a number of Orbx regions or airports located under Orbx Global openLC instead of above it.
For info, outside of Orbx I have installed 3 FlightBeam airports and FsDreamTeam Honolulu International, all installed with .XML method.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Richard.

Hello Richard,

the Insertion Point tool will only do what you tell it to.

Set Airports and Regions to the top of the library, or

just under the lowest of any other developer's scenery

if you have them.

Set open LC to below Airports and Regions and make sure that

the information bar turns green.

If you have installed everything to an Orbx Central Library, you

may well see some OLC entries at the top, that would be normal.

The test is not "does my scenery library look like I expect it to" but

"does the simulator work as I expect it to".

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2020 at 3:36 AM, Doug Sawatzky said:

I believe you are wrong.

He is not wrong. For example, I have to continually adjust scenery order of other 3rd party scenery above Orbx scenery otherwise i get texture morphing and other undesirable effects. FlyTampa Las Vegas is an example of scenery that must be layered above Orbx, an it is installed via xml method. 

Also Orbx insertion tool is broken ever since v5. The drop down within the tool does not fully represent what I see in the scenery library within P3D. The order of scenery does not match, so using the insertion tool is unreliable. When I use to insertion tool, I get completely different results in the scenery library, forcing me to use Lorby Addon Organizer to clean up the mess, and not touch the insertion tool again. 

After a P3D update and first startup, Orbx scenery will reload into the addon library,  I have to manually reorganize everything. It's very asinine. Never had these issue in v4. I can't be the only one experiencing this with the insertion tool.  

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 9:58 PM, jordancollins said:

I have glacier park at the bottom of the library but all the other Orbx airports are above it. 

Can anyone help I have a bunch of Orbx addons at the bottom of the Scenery Library but then also have them at the top.

i have tried Sync and moving the libraries etc nothing seems to work! 

• 1 year later...

The way I understand it is the add-ons.cfg in the roaming folder under P3d loads first, then the one in the Programdata under p3d.  lastly the scenery.cfg.  I always have a problem with KLAS from Fly Tampa of FS dreams.  Vertical walls for example.  Orbx addon are in the file under the program data area.  FS dreams has their stuff as well as fly tampa in the addons under Roaming.   The only way I can have the KLAS scenery look correct is put it number 1 in the Scenery.cfg file.   So I am thinking if I want anything to be a higher priority over the rest needs to be on top of the Scenery.cfg.  In my case I removed the Fly TAMPA  Libraries and KLAS from the addons.cfg under the appdata/roaming/p3d folder  (you can set active to false too if you want to leave it there, same thing)  Then added the Libraries #1 and KLAS #2 in the scenery.cfg.  

Hope this helps.  back up any file you change as anyone should do