Jump to content

active CTD in PNW


ChriKa
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I have encountered some CTD while flying around WA56 (Israels Farm) and KBVS (Skagit). Does anyone have the same problem? A flight from concrete (3W5) to Darrington (1S2) could be done without any problems.

 

Thanks and best regards

Christian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reproduced the problem. I started from Israels Flfarm to Skagit and in the middle of the flight the sim crahsed with the indication that P3D is not working anymore. Same with launching the sim direct from KVBS. The atmosphere Option is switched of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a known problem with VRAM usage. What size VRAM do you have? If you use the shift + Z function it now shows how much you are using versus what you have .Known issues seem to centre around too high settings and 4K monitors. Setting FPS to 30 rather than unlimited appears to help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

like you, I have had v5 for 36 hours or so.

It looks like the results of the settings in v5 do not relate to the same results in v4.

I expect that it is not for no reason that the Shift + Z menu now includes a measure

of how much RAM remains on your graphics card, as it is reasonably easy to exceed

the maximum.

A little research seems to reveal that Direct X 12 does not allow the graphics card limit

to be exceeded, so when there is none left, P3D v5 generates and error message and stops.

 

If you activate the Shift + Z display, you will see how your settings affect the amount of

RAM remaining and reduce them accordingly.

I would advise starting with the "Image and Texture Quality" sliders, it seems that the

image quality remains good even with reduced settings.

 

Note: this is a GTX 1070 ti with 8 GB of RAM.

1.jpg

 

2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Nick,

thanks for your reply. I am currently using the same settings shown on your second picture. As I mentioned the sim only takes around 1.9 to 2.1. GB of the VRam, so far away from the maximum.

 

The CTD I depicted so far happend only the vicinity of KBVS and WA56. I will try out other airports in the region. In other regions for example Boulder City, Catalina and Monument Valley no CTD appeared.

 

I will continue testing and will let you know.

 

Regards

Christian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update: First flight from 0S9 to Kors with no CTD but some severe FPS-drops from 60 to 5 and back to 60. Second flight from KBVS via WA56 to 3W5 CTD after going around at WA56. Really weird. Further flights around 7S3 or 61B took place with no problems. VRAM usage again around 2 GB.

 

Tomorrow I try to fly with HT switched off. Maybe this is a solution.

 

Best regards

Christian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update:

 

Good evening,

 

1. Flying from 3W5 to WA56. Once again CTD between both airports (position: N41* 31.38 W121* 57.93) 

 

2. Uninstalling 3W5 an WA56. No crash, I could fly with no problems.

 

3. Reinstall 3W5 and WA56 again. Graphic Setting medium (VRam usage under 2 GB), Flight without CTD but extreme stutters in the same area as the CTD.

 

4. Setting graphics to high. CTD in the same area.

 

It seems as if some CTD  occur in the edge area of Orbx airport sceneries.

 

Hope you find those information useful.

 

Best regards
Christian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems that CTDs in PNW and especially in Seattle area a more frequent than in other areas. At least I get them very easily and it has also been reported in other forums. Unfortunately they are not reproducible in each case and maybe more of a random nature. Unexpected CTDs are already discussed at LM forums and it seems that they can fix it in the upcoming hotfix.

Edited by hjmx
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChriKa said:

3. Reinstall 3W5 and WA56 again. Graphic Setting medium (VRam usage under 2 GB), Flight without CTD but extreme stutters in the same area as the CTD.

 

4. Setting graphics to high. CTD in the same area.

 

It seems as if some CTD  occur in the edge area of Orbx airport sceneries.

 

Hello, 

 

I can't speak to the airports in question but I've done extensive testing of some of the seaplane bases with v5 and based on LM feedback, at least in the cases I've tested the following may be going on:  VRAM usage per se may not necessarily be the issue. It's also useful to monitor GPU and to some extent CPU usage in real time (as opposed to an average over some period of time). In areas with a large number of complex objects (eg approaching the CAE3 dock), when the aircraft gets within a certain range these objects are paged in.  Compared to v4, the new features of v5  can consume considerably more resources and when the new objects are added your system can become 'GPU bound' as LM calls it. (Being CPU bound is also possible.) At this point, a slide show develops. There may be further opportunities for reducing the work load and get more bang for the same buck, but based on the resources needed for the new additions to v5,  I am tempering my optimism. 

 

Cheers, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2020 at 4:26 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

like you, I have had v5 for 36 hours or so.

It looks like the results of the settings in v5 do not relate to the same results in v4.

I expect that it is not for no reason that the Shift + Z menu now includes a measure

of how much RAM remains on your graphics card, as it is reasonably easy to exceed

the maximum.

A little research seems to reveal that Direct X 12 does not allow the graphics card limit

to be exceeded, so when there is none left, P3D v5 generates and error message and stops.

 

If you activate the Shift + Z display, you will see how your settings affect the amount of

RAM remaining and reduce them accordingly.

I would advise starting with the "Image and Texture Quality" sliders, it seems that the

image quality remains good even with reduced settings.

 

Note: this is a GTX 1070 ti with 8 GB of RAM.

1.jpg

 

2.jpg

 

How do you get the image and texture quality window to open?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2020 at 3:01 PM, Larry_R said:

 

Hello, 

 

I can't speak to the airports in question but I've done extensive testing of some of the seaplane bases with v5 and based on LM feedback, at least in the cases I've tested the following may be going on:  VRAM usage per se may not necessarily be the issue. It's also useful to monitor GPU and to some extent CPU usage in real time (as opposed to an average over some period of time). In areas with a large number of complex objects (eg approaching the CAE3 dock), when the aircraft gets within a certain range these objects are paged in.  Compared to v4, the new features of v5  can consume considerably more resources and when the new objects are added your system can become 'GPU bound' as LM calls it. (Being CPU bound is also possible.) At this point, a slide show develops. There may be further opportunities for reducing the work load and get more bang for the same buck, but based on the resources needed for the new additions to v5,  I am tempering my optimism. 

 

Cheers, 

 Hi Larry, any experience with settings that could be reduced to "survive" this?

KSEA absolutely kills my system..

Loading KSEA.jpg

Edited by Bert Pieke
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Bert, 

I've not done the sorts of experiments power users like to do but at this point I don't think there is a magic answer.  But maybe some will come up with  the secret sauce. Compared to my v4 setup (for more isolated places) I've reduced my texture resolution from 4k to 2k and I've unchecked 'use high resolution terrain textures'. However that does not solve problems in high demand areas like KSEA but it helps some. Using new enhanced atmospherics does not seem to reduce performance. This new feature has a number of less than desired visual features to my eye so most of the time I'm leaving it off. From here, I suppose it's a matter of biting the bullet and backing off the scenery sliders while considering the areas you care about most. To me, very different than v4.

 

Larry 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to offer an alternative experience. For me, flying around and over the Seattle does not cause any CTD's, pauses or even a loss of much FPS...the flying is the smoothest for me over the KSEA area that I have ever experienced in modern flight simming, and it sure does look good. I have my sliders pushed far to the right, some maxxed, some close to maxxed. My resolution is set at 2K, and I am running on a 2080Ti with 11 Gb VRAM. Now, this is my experience and I understand it may not be everyone else's. But, I wanted some people to know that flying smoothly over Orbx PNW Seattle with many Orbx PNW airports also installed is very possible in P3Dv5.

 

Cheers!

Landon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Larry_R said:

Hi Bert, 

I've not done the sorts of experiments power users like to do but at this point I don't think there is a magic answer.  But maybe some will come up with  the secret sauce. Compared to my v4 setup (for more isolated places) I've reduced my texture resolution from 4k to 2k and I've unchecked 'use high resolution terrain textures'. However that does not solve problems in high demand areas like KSEA but it helps some. Using new enhanced atmospherics does not seem to reduce performance. This new feature has a number of less than desired visual features to my eye so most of the time I'm leaving it off. From here, I suppose it's a matter of biting the bullet and backing off the scenery sliders while considering the areas you care about most. To me, very different than v4.

 

Larry 

 

I'll just stay away from KSEA for a while... there is a big world to explore!  :)

 

Vancouver+ scenery is quite OK, so there is just something about Seattle (at present..)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a bit hit and miss for me. Sometimes I can load up a flight and fly with no CTD's. Other times it crashes right after the loading bar reaches 100%.

Seems to happen more frequently around Orbx airports such as KTIW, S43 and others so there still seems to be some issues with the Flow modules etc.

 

The errors are usually 0xc0000005 (Access Violation) or 0xc0020001 (The string binding is invalid).

Edited by JimmiG
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...