P3d v5 and RTX 2080TI

Mawson

Has anyone been able to benchmark the underwhelming performance of the RTX 2080Ti compared to the old 1080Ti in V4 now compared to v5?

I noticed 1 maybe 2  FPS improvement when i switched from the 1080TI a few months back.

I also use some First Person Shooters that use this card really well as I knew there was not much in it for us flight simmers but I am tempted to put the old 1080Ti back in unless someone has already done that. Its a lot of mucking around just to satisfy the curiosity.

It would be an even bigger win if these RTX cards actually can now outperform the previous generation that cost half the price!

My frame rates are doubled in VR to 45 in the Country airstrips from Orbx.

I think 45 is the maximum is that correct in Vive Pro HMD? 45 per eye = 90?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 4:15 PM, Mawson said:

I noticed 1 maybe 2  FPS improvement when i switched from the 1080TI a few months back.

Hi Mawson, you've prolly got this from other threads, so forgive any redundacy.

As you've found for P3D there is not much graphics scaling with an increase in grunt. A plain 2080 will clobber it. My plain 1080 does just fine.

But P3d is P3D, and what happens here has no relation to how other programs use the Ti, as you've found in games.

It blew my mind to find this out, as I lusted for a Ti card, thinking it would give me so much more, and it doesn't. Go figure.

Note - X-Plane does seem to scale more with Gx grunt, but that's from others, my experience is limited.

Where it does help is the extra memory if you are flying in Central London on 4K and 4096 textures on very high settings. There is so much data to load into VRAM, that if you don't have enough, the sim goes POOF...

Unless you turn your sliders down so that less textures are needed. Then even I can fly in London with my 8 Gb

HTH

Archived