Kakadu Touring

Stillwater

The second day of our (virtual) Dragonfly Dreaming tour will lead us through the northeast of Kakadu NP. And making the descriptions easier for me, I just take them from a suggested operators´ website.

"Awake for breakfast this morning before joining an iconic Yellow Waters Cruise. A must do activity within Kakadu National Park, the award winning Yellow Waters cruise is Aboriginal owned and centres around a spectacular billabong system that is home to some remarkable and diverse wildlife. Spotting crocodiles is only one of the many wildlife viewing opportunities on this unique water system.

i8y9HMm.jpg

Departing camp we travel to nearby Nourlangie Rock. Here you can see how local Aboriginal people lived in this area through changing times. Environmental and social changes are reflected in the rock art and in the ground, where archaeologists have uncovered over 20,000 years of Aboriginal occupation."

aTi9y0r.jpg

96yiZcp.jpg

Driving past Jabiru, tourists will surely not visit this POI added with OZx: The Jabiru Uranium mine.

qraHjb5.jpg

"Later this afternoon we arrive at the culturally significant Aboriginal art site of Ubirr, located within the East Alligator region of the park.

DiIzXuP.jpg

Here you will view a wide range of ancient Aboriginal art which will be interpreted by your guide. Learn the story of the Rainbow Serpent and climb the Nadab Lookout for panoramic views over the floodplain and beyond into Arnhem Land. After learning about the area, it’s time to pick out a quiet spot to sit while we watch the sun set over the Kakadu escarpment before making the short journey to our private and permanent campsite for the night."

XbGkHxy.jpg

I change planes in Oenpelli...

AEdLkPe.jpg

TLAA9rB.jpg

... to start day 3 of the tour from here ...

4dL9YAM.jpg

... and leave the virtual camp at Jabiru.

Ocjf2Os.jpg

"Today the jewels of Kakadu National Park await. Departing early we travel ...

Ef5yZmP.jpg

... to Twin and Jim Jim Falls. Explore Twin Falls Gorge which is accessed by 4-wheel drive track, a boat shuttle service and a rocky walking track and boardwalk. Once there relax on the sandy banks and admire the falls.

ftmsVl6.jpg

There’s more 4-wheel driving as we make our way to Jim Jim Falls where a walk through monsoon forest and over boulders takes us to the waterfall and plunge pool which are surrounded by 150 metre cliffs.

veowalz.jpg

Spend the afternoon taking in the sheer beauty of your spectacular surrounds before we make our way back ..." crossing Mary River...

p05uMRa.jpg

.. and the Adelaide River...

rsdtrpE.jpg

... "to Darwin and your accommodation after three magical days of adventure and wildlife, rich in cultural history and natural beauty."

GObIUIJ.jpg

a5s4A3B.jpg

9hFC3zZ.jpg

Italic text is copied directly from the cited tour operators website. According to my experience they do not compete with Orbx but also provide good entertainment. I already enjoyed the descriptions as much as the virtual flights.

1 hour ago, Ken Hall said:

and now two pleasnat weeks IN QUARANTINE:ph34r:

another great trip good to see OZx still doing stuff, enjoy the snack bar

That is the doubtless advantage of virtual travels, Ken :D!

2 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great set these Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you for commenting, Iain!

2 hours ago, boetie said:

Always a pleasure to peruse your shots mate. Danke.

Graeme :)

Thank you Graeme, you´re welcome!

1 hour ago, schtroumf said:

:o (it's amazing these screens)B)

Sorry Olivier for the "amazement" :D!

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

really nice shots and a very informative flight, thank you.....

Thank you Wain. Just a good way to prepare future holidays, when ever....

44 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice shots, have you been here many times in real life Gerold?

Thank you Jack. I have to admit. Not at this place of the world. But I would not refuse to!

Thank you Gerold for another great set which is special for me, I lived in Gunbalanya (Oenpelli) for 4 years and worked across the whole of western Arnhem Land from Jabiru to Ramingining -  islands and inland areas inclusive.  Later I helped provide air charter and RPT services to this area for 8 years.  The sim scenery is only just starting to do justice to this area with the help of Orbx Vector and AU2 plus the massive contribution made in the past by OZx of which I was privileged to be part in a minor way.

5 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Thank you Gerold for another great set which is special for me, I lived in Gunbalanya (Oenpelli) for 4 years and worked across the whole of western Arnhem Land from Jabiru to Ramingining -  islands and inland areas inclusive.  Later I helped provide air charter and RPT services to this area for 8 years.  The sim scenery is only just starting to do justice to this area with the help of Orbx Vector and AU2 plus the massive contribution made in the past by OZx of which I was privileged to be part in a minor way.

Oh that is amazing! Great to learn these details of your work - and personal part of history. I am not sure if living there is so easy, could be somehow humid with fiercing animals?

OZx was (and still is!) a fantastic project of enthusiasts. And a key as well to bush flying and the Australian sceneries we enjoy today.

Archived