A new level for me

Stillwater

Staying at home convinced me to buy a new monitor. A slight risk, as Doctor Internet told me UHD/4k resolution (3840*2160) would only be working with GPUs 1070 or above, and you can see from my spoiler I use a 1060. Nevertheless it works, frames are ok, the only borderline point is the temperature: As my GPU is utilized between 70-110 % during flying, its temperature raises to about 75°C. This causes the CPU to warm up to 71°C as well, which gives me a BIOS warning. I´ll have to watch this...

After the tech talk, we go to the results: Overwhelming. So many more details seen during the flights, not only from the instruments, but also from the scenery. I am enthusiasted.

A first test flight lead me over my home town, Hanover:

bAt4ypW.jpg

3 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Looking good Gerold!

From what I understand is, that you can lower your AA settings with 4K. Maybe that helps.

Sounds like an idea, there are not so many steps in the graphics left... but I do not enjoy playing with settings. A search on the web could do for me...

Gerold, I have been sim flying with a UHD 4k monitor for at least three years now (last count I have at least 4 of them in various sizes, currently a 42" 4k UHD display) and you are right, the clarity and color depth are a whole new level of simming gorgeousness. If it helps, I have tested the AA settings over the last years, and on my system, which is higher end with a 2080 Ti GPU, I have found that 4xAA is best. Smooths out any left over jaggies and shimmers, but does not really effect the smoothness of flight on my system. Granted, it may be different on your GPU, but at least that gives you a benchmark to test out. 

7 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Gerold, I have been sim flying with a UHD 4k monitor for at least three years now (last count I have at least 4 of them in various sizes, currently a 42" 4k UHD display) and you are right, the clarity and color depth are a whole new level of simming gorgeousness. If it helps, I have tested the AA settings over the last years, and on my system, which is higher end with a 2080 Ti GPU, I have found that 4xAA is best. Smooths out any left over jaggies and shimmers, but does not really effect the smoothness of flight on my system. Granted, it may be different on your GPU, but at least that gives you a benchmark to test out. 

Thank you for the comparison, Landon. I´ll have a look at these settings.

Archived