Prepar3d v5 incoming in days...

Medtner

Rob Ainscough has a very powerful PC, and he tends to push the boundaries where P3D performance and VRAM usage are concerned, so I would not be too worried about that. I was running P3Dv4 last year on my old PC with only 2GB VRAM, so I am confident that my current 6GB GTX 980Ti powered PC will be able to handle P3Dv5 at the screen resolution and scenery complexity settings that I prefer.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 1:40 AM, Airlifter said:

DirectX 12 (not DivX ;-)) works in Windows 7 as well.

Thanks, I am reluctant to upgrade from Windows 7 at this time. It appears that Microsoft is releasing DX12, for some games, ie World of Warcraft, with a patch required for the game. This is what I am reading from PCGamer. Microsoft then must work with Lockheed Martin, for a P3D solution. I will have to wait and see if MS comes up with a solution. Are you running Windows 7, perhaps you can lead on this one.

Neil

I'm still not sure if the 'upgrade' is worth $313 AUD to me. (at the present time)

Many of the things ('improvements') I am reading about in the features list seem to be fixes to V4.5. Not a whole new product worth $313. A question is; will they offer existing users a discount for just these 'improvements' and not the default product?

I'm currently using REX Environment Force and Active Sky and have been getting very nice clouds over time for a while.

I have yet to see much improvement in the ground scenery in the video? Most of them are just flying through clouds.

I guess if you have all the Orbx products on top of the default P3D scenery, that is what you will see? And, if everything in Orbx isn't brought up to PBR standard, then I guess it will look the same at it does on v4.5?

Or does P3D V5 replace all of Orbx tiles?

Aussie

Like most I was excited to hear a new version is fast coming. Last night I filled in half hour just looking on YouTube of a few new vids showing off certain aspects such as the clouds. I was not so impressed but then I was shocked that in the comments on the videos viewers are comparing the graphics to FS9 or even FS2004. One thing that appears missing is cloud shadows. LM said its the start of a new sim so in a year v5 will look a lot better but a lot of disappointed people on YouTube right now.

9 hours ago, Neil said:

Thanks, I am reluctant to upgrade from Windows 7 at this time. It appears that Microsoft is releasing DX12, for some games, ie World of Warcraft, with a patch required for the game. This is what I am reading from PCGamer. Microsoft then must work with Lockheed Martin, for a P3D solution. I will have to wait and see if MS comes up with a solution. Are you running Windows 7, perhaps you can lead on this one.

The security risks of running such an outdated OS as Windows 7 is not worth it. If it's other security (surveilance by MS) that concerns you, there are a number of apps that will keep that checked such as W10Privacy. If it's HW then there are solutions for that too. HW that is just a little out of date is far cheaper than when it was first released & getting it on Ebay can be a bargain, just ensure you can return it if its not working

1 hour ago, aero-3fsx said:

I was shocked that in the comments on the videos viewers are comparing the graphics to FS9 or even FS2004.

Hello,

FS9 and FS2004 are the same thing and in fact the clouds in both of them and in FS2002 were better than the clouds in FSX.

A new version of a flight simulator is not always a step forwards in every respect.

As ever, the best opinion to rely on is one's own, there is a much smaller chance of being misled.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

As ever, the best opinion to rely on is one's own, there is a much smaller chance of being misled.

Not sure about that, I've managed to delude myself many times over the years, and will probably do so with increasing frequency as the years continue to pass <grin>

17 hours ago, Neil said:

Neil

Here's a pretty good explanation as to why MS may, or more likely may not, port DX12 to Windows 7 for P3Dv5: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/297092-microsoft-makes-it-easier-to-bring-directx-12-games-to-windows-7

Replies on DX12 and Windows 7

Aero-3FSX - thanks for a good summary of advice on Windows 7. W10 will be on my next desktop, an upgrade is in my plans for MSFS 2020.

W2DR - excellent link to discussion  of DX12 and Windows 7, we shall have to see.

This probably means that I will not be downloading V5 on day 1.

Thanks to all for the discussion, and stay safe.

Neil

• So far as I have researched it, it seems that DX 12 is compatible with Win7, too.
  • There's no evolution in flight physics afaik.
  • The clouds seem awesome and a huge step forward in my opinion. Comparing them to 18 year old products is teenager b*s*.
  • Nobody should ever buy a software product on day one. Well, except OpenLC, of course...

31 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:
  • So far as I have researched it, it seems that DX 12 is compatible with Win7, too.
  • There's no evolution in flight physics afaik.
  • The clouds seem awesome and a huge step forward in my opinion. Comparing them to 18 year old products is teenager b*s*.
  • Nobody should ever buy a software product on day one. Well, except OpenLC, of course...

..except that, of course.

6 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Not sure about that, I've managed to delude myself many times over the years, and will probably do so with increasing frequency as the years continue to pass <grin>

No, No, No. you are supposed to get wiser with age and your delusions less frequent! Tut tut! :D

No improvement in flight physics appears to be the elephant in the room. I'm surprised that is not receiving more critical observations presently.
My take is that we all face some decisions about what our own personal visions are of what our flight sim should look like by the end of this year and beyond.

We have choices.
I must admit I'm dithering about my own decisions but doing a lot of reading to see where I think I should be by the end of this year.
This is a big year for customers and developers alike.

You are correct about the flight physics Daz,

Any required improvements don't seem to be in the 'features and fixes' listing.

On the other hand, I have been impressed with the videos released by MSFS2020 explaining their aerodynamic and environmental improvements.

Personally, Regarding all these nice videos of clouds in P3D v5. I would be interested in how the aircraft correctly reacts to them. i.e. what happens when you enter or leave them, or fly parallel to cloud bank?

Otherwise, it is all eye candy. Something to take a screen capture in front of.

Aussie

On 4/7/2020 at 2:57 PM, Aussie123 said:

"we are excited to introduce our new default airport, Randolph Airforce Base in Texas, which was developed by Orbx"

So happy to hear that Orbx played a part in the v5 release.

So looked at the site and it states Windows 10 as minimum requirement.  Wondering if the software might still work in Windows 7.  If anyone tries it out let me know...

And I know Windows 10 is safer and supported, but I have a stable Win7 P3dv4 platform with my own AV software, just wondering if I'll have to wait for V5 for my next computer upgrade.

Archived