Prepar3d v5 incoming in days...

Medtner

I was about to ask the same regarding Prepar3d v5 and how it'll affect the current add ons eg TE, LC etc., plus if it makes sense to buy stuff like VIE or the current airport range? Should we wait for a few months prior getting v5 or is the focus more on FS2020 or even both? 

Any answer is highly appreciated. 

Kind regards. 

Given the fact that LM's P3D is well established in the addon-community I expect it to be only short delays before compatibility is in order (if any). 
Also, to speak of FS2020... I can't wait. But I have to. It's not out, and most likely will not be out untill very late this year, if not next year. 

P3D v5, however, comes next week. I'll put my money there for now. 

(and why not support several simulators - no need for a war. X-plane is brilliant too, and it is out now for all to play) :-)

Exciting days locked in my sim-basement... :-P

Orbx has developed the new default airport for P3DV5, this is good news. Bad news, at least for me, is DivX12, which I believe is tied to Windows 10, not good for non-users.

So once the non-disclosure  is over , we will find where our Orbx sceneries fit in.

Neil

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Looking forward to this but it may be months before all my planes and utilities are compatible.  As usual.  I hope Orbx has been in talks with LM.

Hi Jack,

Reading the blurb from the link in the first post there is a one line mention of Orbx in the New Features section:

“Updated Randolph AFB (KRND) developed by Orbx”

I take it they have indeed been involved with LM. Hopefully we can get some JV comments soon.

Regards,

Roger

5 minutes ago, Roger Dodger said:

Hi Jack,

Reading the blurb from the link in the first post there is a one line mention of Orbx in the New Features section:

“Updated Randolph AFB (KRND) developed by Orbx”

I take it they have indeed been involved with LM. Hopefully we can get some JV comments soon.

Regards,

Roger

I saw that and thought it odd considering this isn’t a stand-alone product from Orbx.  Oh well, time will tell.

Question is...

FTX Global
FTX Vector
FTX OpenLC 
FTX Trees
FTX Buildings

Are these gonna be compatible?

For example, FTX Vector wasn't made compatible for several months after V4 came out. I just cannot see it will ever be V5 compatible. Let's wait for an official announcement from Orbx though.

Most of us have dealt with new P3d releases over the ten years, We all know pretty much that Orbx have always been involved with LM as a scenery provider and as always Orbx will be quick again. I`m sure John will jump in here soon with an update on the future, so i`m not going to speculate.  I for one am very happy about v5 and will be supporting Orbx as we move forward regardless of other platforms, And for those worried about DX12 your 10 series cards are supported in W10, from 1060 all the way to 2080 TI and Titans including laptops. I`m looking forward to the performance boost.

Maybe the peops on Avsim got out of bed earlier it seems - with a feeding frenzy over there.

Speculation - questions - upgrades - new addons - comparisons - more GPUs needed with DX 12

the list is endless - and 6 pages already !!

I came back to flight simming 10 months ago - and was surprised to see the big changes after an absence

of 12 years - especially in the Orbx world - and various aircraft - and my computer would need a massive upgrade.

I did what I could afford with the beast - and for 10 months I have waded through heartache after heartache with this 

all consuming "hobby" - to the detriment of everything else - in the simming /games world to what I think that -  with P3D4.5

and Orbx - I hope I have finally reached the objective of a reasonable hobby - with FSX in the background for pre 70s aircraft.

I don't need this - potentially new heartache - because it is a distinct possibility that history will repeat itself with

this upgraded (?) sim P3D V5 - possible new or upgraded Sceneries and Aircraft - ( chaseplane will be free a upgrade) - 

and I cannot afford to spend anymore money on add-ons - nor the hassle to install them

Last week I finalised all the possible Orbx scenery I could ever want - (around70 items ) - and bought the last Aircraft

for my Hangar - which contains only GA Aircraft up to 2 biz - jets - and I am  not interested in Wide bodies - or the beautiful AI

airports needed to house them. I have XP11  - but I only bought it because it had the Orbx TE Britain package - and it couldn't 

cope with my 4K  HRD set up - and the new Vulcan can beat it's chest for ever as far as I am concerned

Should P3D v5 prove to be a much better sim than current - and cheap enough - I will think about adding the sim to a spare 2TB HDD

and just playing with the aircraft designed by LM for the sim.

All this is more than enough to keep an old coot somewhat happy until the biggy MS 2020 arrives on the X box  - and all my pennies will be saved for that

It'll be interesting to see if they upgrade the flight model, use all CPU cores, and implement VR properly.

Looking at the trailer, the water still looks pretty awful. This has been a bugbear of mine for years. And the terrain colours are off.

DX12 promises good visuals so let's see if it's playable for proper VFR.

For the record, I will not be jumping on the v5 bandwagon until the dust has settled. P3Dv4 is working beautifully on my new PC, so I do not want to rock the boat just yet. Anyway, I recently purchased Orbx LOWI Innsbruck (and updated my flightplans accordingly), and I have just done the same thing again today with LDDU Dubrovnik (which will be a nice short haul flight from FlyTampa LGKR Corfu).

40 minutes ago, masterhawk said:

The LC textures in v5 have now PBR. 
So there is a lot work required to bring 

Orbx Regions and OpenLC to that standard. 

And virtually impossible to update every enhanced airport to the sloped runways, just too many for a do-over, I think. 1000 in New Zealand alone.

DirectX 12 is designed around multi-core CPUs, because it's way more efficient in using all cores to send more commands to the GPU at the same time, so you should finally see your precious GPU being used more, to do actual stuff, instead of waiting for the CPU to send data. This has increased complexity for developers, A LOT.
DirectX 12 moves a lot of the responsibility in managing resources to the developer. With DX11, lots of memory management ( what goes in and out from RAM to VRAM ) happened inside DX11 itself or the video driver, nobody really knew and nobody had to care about it. Which means, if you had your settings too high, even more than your actual VRAM, the sim would just become slower and start to stutter, textures would start to appear slower than usual, but nothing worse than that could happen. With DX12, you have a budget, which the OS sets up for you ( I'd guess it's about 80% of your entire VRAM, since Windows still needs some for itself ), and you MUST stay within, and if your app needs more, you are supposed to manage memory in your own code. This clearly have a performance advantage, because none the developer of the graphic engine surely knows better when and how HIS app needs more memory, surely better than the video driver or the OS. This, again, causes an increase in complexity, and the potential for developers to mess up, but also to get better performances.

If you see uninformed people saying "DX12, no big deal, it looks the same to me" or "I have this DX12 game, it's just 5% increase in fps compare to DX11, so what ?", it's because DX12 is so complex compared to DX11, that even the high-end games still haven't used it as they could. Just to put things in perspective, I think it has been YEARS since X-Plane developers discussed moving to Vulkan, and it came out just now, and it's still in Beta, and it doesn't provide ANY visual enhancement, just an fps increase.

One of the main difference in the V5 graphic engine, is that now almost everything is PBR, including the base Terrain/Landclass. This was a bit of a problem in V4 when doing airports, since sceneries builders could make a 100% PBR airport before, it was more like 90%, because for ground polygons, they generally use PBR only for Aprons, since the other background ( grass, snow, etc. ) had to offer a visual continuity with the surrounding scenery, which didn't use PBR so, it was as if they were living in different worlds, and if they did everything in PBR, it would look very weird, since the ground from the airport would react to the light in a different way than the ground outside.
In V5, the base Terrain is PBR as well, which means it looks better over different times of the day, it's more integrated with the sky lighting, so now it's possible to make an airport 100% PBR and won't have it stick it out badly as it would have in V4.

(from another software house forum)

12 minutes ago, patful said:

And virtually impossible to update every enhanced airport to the sloped runways, just too many for a do-over, I think. 1000 in New Zealand alone.

I read that there is a performance loss for doing sloped runways and to only use if really necessary. That came from the FSDreamTeam forums quoting P3D V5 SDK notes.

6 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

The new skies look fantastic! And almost everything will be compatible from the get-go...

I think Orbx should reconsider doing OpenLC Asia...

Hi, actually, I would have preferred much more an Asia Open LC instead of Africa, at least for the lots of good airport add-ons available, while in Africa the choice is very poor - leting apart FSDG -.

2 hours ago, patful said:

Well, not every runway has to get sloped. No real need to "slope" every possible runway.

I'm really excited for the news and what will be Orbx' say on the matter.

11 hours ago, Kulbit said:

DirectX 12 is designed around multi-core CPUs, because it's way more efficient in using all cores to send more commands to the GPU at the same time, so you should finally see your precious GPU being used more, to do actual stuff, instead of waiting for the CPU to send data.

Will this be the case instantly? Will we see this spread over cores see in v5 with the scenery and vehicles developed in the P3Dv4 DX11 SDK?

Hi Guys,

Looking at the above post saying DirectX 12 is far more efficient at usinig all the cores on your CPU...

That begs the question will Hyperthreading enabled be better doubling my cores...albeit half of them virtual...

Dave

On 4/8/2020 at 1:15 AM, Neil said:

Orbx has developed the new default airport for P3DV5, this is good news. Bad news, at least for me, is DivX12, which I believe is tied to Windows 10, not good for non-users.

So once the non-disclosure  is over , we will find where our Orbx sceneries fit in.

Neil

DirectX 12 (not DivX ;-)) works in Windows 7 as well.

I guess like with V4 there will be the P3Dv5 compatible scenery (ie. works in P3Dv5) and optimized P3Dv5 scenery. 

Impossible to believe that Orbx was caught by surprise yesterday as they have developed an airport for P3Dv5.

Given the fact that the sale is still ongoing, it would be helpful to let us know what is their strategy regarding the while the sale is still ongoing and not after P3Dv5 release. I am thinking to pick some regions but I can't do that except I know for sure that they will work perfectly in P3Dv5.

I did heavy investments (4 digits...) into purchasing addons this time with P3Dv4. I guess the only thing making me jump to v5 soon would be built-in night time darkness finally appearing as dark as in reality and (of course!) an Orbx release of OLC Asia for P3dv5...

8 hours ago, Josh Sawyer said:

Where did they say the LC textures in V5 are now PBR?

It was Umberto from FSDreamteam:
- One of the main difference in the V5 graphic engine, is that now almost everything is PBR, including the base Terrain/Landclass.

3 hours ago, masterhawk said:

It was Umberto from FSDreamteam:
- One of the main difference in the V5 graphic engine, is that now almost everything is PBR, including the base Terrain/Landclass.

Ok thanks for that - interesting its not listed in the official change log.. 

Archived