Island crossing

Stillwater

Continuing the Tasmanian Tour (I fear the famous road tour https://targa.com.au/targa-tasmania-competition/ will not take place this season) we depart from Strahan...

h954AUh.jpg

... along the B24...

Lc5Xj0T.jpg

... up to the environmental disaster around Queenstown.

gHHImuy.jpg

Then we follow the A10 along the wilderness mountains, ...

ZueX0RS.jpg

... and pass a lake that is named "Laughing Jack Lagoon". Who has given it this name and why?

tN80aX9.jpg

However, at Tarraleah Falls we can simply fly over the meandering road...

SkkfWJO.jpg

... until we come to the lowland plains near Ouse.

XKarvqu.jpg

A little detour brings us to Mt. Field NP with the famous Russell Falls, ...

jSPLsFq.jpg

... before we continue to follow River Derwent along the Paper Mill at New Norfolk.

37MG6hp.jpg

Some sights added by @teecee: Bridgewater bridge, ...

FDUXSlB.jpg

... and Hobart harbour at Sullivan´s Cove.

3gJaA06.jpg

Nice views of Hobart during the approach.

YDSWbbi.jpg

jBXJKu9.jpg

sQkfXr5.jpg

And here we are!

92Rf5vK.jpg

2PMw8rr.jpg

2 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

These shots look very good. Nice journey!

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Super shots from Tassie Gerold !! .

2 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great set of shots.

cheers 

Iain 

2 hours ago, schtroumf said:

Superb series:)

Thank you all for your comments!

7 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Another top set, fingers crossed for a TE Tasmania.

Thank you Ken. Did you get hints if the Targa Tasmania (with one leg scheduled quite close to Port Sorell) would be taking place this year?

5 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Very nice indeed Gerold - as you know our old mate Teecee is not too well at the moment so hopefully these shots of his favourite place will brighten up his day :)

Thanks for your comment, and also for the ungood news. I keep my fingers crossed that he´ll do well, and my thoughts are with all who are struggling currently.

5 hours ago, adambar said:

Wonderful shots Gerold! :) 

Thank you Adam.

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Another nice tour Gerold!  Maybe Jack was laughing because he wanted to put a bridge there?

And what was the environmental disaster? :unsure:

Hahaha, not enough use for a bridge there, me thinks. Unfortunately!

Re Queenstsown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queenstown,_Tasmania gives a glimpse of the nature´s fate there: "Queenstown's history has long been tied to the mining industry. Owing to a combination of tree removal for use in the smelters and the smelter fumes (for about 40 years), and the heavy annual rainfall, the erosion of the shallow horizon topsoil back to the harder rock profile contributed to the stark state of the mountains for many decades. the low-level succession of plants might affect the stark 'moonscape' appearance of the southern parts of Mount Lyell, and northern Mount Owen. Although there are still large areas incapable of sustaining regrowth due to the acute slopes and lack of soil formation, revegtation projects have been stymied."

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you Ken. Did you get hints if the Targa Tasmania (with one leg scheduled quite close to Port Sorell) would be taking place this year?

I doubt it mate 

, were in pretty tight restrictions ,only essential services, can't even go to the beach

Archived