LC Africa - why no Levant

Dear all.

With great joy did I receive the mail announcing the release of Africa LC. As I remember from the initial announcement many, many years ago the Levant was to be included in Africa. While Egypt and Sinai, as well as the Arabian peninsular is included, the states of Jordan, Syria, Lebanon or Israel are not. May I ask why and if there are plans to include them at a later date? 

It would be a great addition and complete the Mediterranean area for especially those who fly there regularly or depart to or arrive from Europe (a mere three hours of flight). 

Your answer is highly appreciated. 

Kind regards. 

Screenshot_20200326_233655.jpg

Since the product is "Global openLC Africa", I'm not surprised to see that the Levant is not included, since it is in Asia.

The Arabian peninsula is actually in Asia too, so I just consider it a bonus that it happened to be included with oLC Africa.

I would like to see Asia get the Orbx treatment too!

During development this area and Iran was brought in but these areas represent more unique landclasses and settlements.

Early on it was decided not to incorporate those areas (technically Western Asia) as we did not have enough free LC allocations and it would represent another 5GB worth of new textures.

Essentially in the end it was a decision made on what would work now for the majority of customers.

5 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

During development this area and Iran was brought in but these areas represent more unique landclasses and settlements.

Early on it was decided not to incorporate those areas (technically Western Asia) as we did not have enough free LC allocations and it would represent another 5GB worth of new textures.

(...) 

And how about just adding Israel, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan (or perhaps Iraq), leaving the remainder for a possible future LC Asia? That'd at least complete the Mediterranean area, which is where most simmers fly to or from ex Europe. 

But, I thank you for the reply and explanation. I'll support this project, as I don't think FS2020 will gain importance for at least a year after the initial release with many sticking to P3D 4(5).

Kind regards. 

On 3/27/2020 at 5:08 AM, sun_king_135 said:

And how about just adding Israel, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan (or perhaps Iraq), leaving the remainder for a possible future LC Asia?

They don't want to scenery to look wrong.  (Looking like Africa instead of the middle east.)

If I understand Ed's post correctly, they used all the available land class allocations making unique African land class types and textures. 

There are a limited number of land class types and textures that the sim can call for in each LC area.

Since the middle east has unique land class and settlement types of its own, they didn't want to represent a settlement in Israel using a settlement texture designed for Nigeria or a type of desert in Jordan with textures designed for Morocco. 

A separate LC area for the middle east will allow Orbx to create textures that look correct for the area.

Archived