Please resurrect OLC Asia

rtissera

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 6:16 PM, dave302 said:

Question: are there even 2000 people registered on this forum?

Dave

Scroll down to the bottom of the forum index page and you'll see that the forum has currently got 92,759 members registered.

Needless to add that I would buy OpenLC Asia the moment of its release. For my part they can divide the continent into three parts or more and sell me each at a whole continent's price.

Also, Africa took so long just because there was no work done during one and a half year, they just "forgot" to inform us.

3 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Also, Africa took so long just because there was no work done during one and a half year, they just "forgot" to inform us.

I rather think that it took so long because, according to the manual, only one developer was on it: Eugene Krikunov. The poor man but he did manage it to get it done.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes please, OpenLC Asia would be amazing! You can leave out Australia if it helps, since people can buy FTX AU v2 if they want it covered.

Now that P3D v5 is coming, OpenLC Asia has become even more important to have! The whole world covered in perfect Global, OpenLC and Vector... that would be amazing.

I'll gladly pre-pay or pay double the price, no problem!

Don't want to get my hopes up, we were told it was coming and then...I know those of us that logged many hours in South East Asia would like to log some sim hours there again! I would be in head over heels. Never saw the 2000+ request on any other land class, why is it Asia gets this: just saying? 

On 3/31/2020 at 10:45 AM, wolfko said:

Scroll down to the bottom of the forum index page and you'll see that the forum has currently got 92,759 members registered.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out!

Well then, Orbx should at least conduct a poll to gauge interest in openLC Asia.   Then they can implement a pre-pay system for it and start developing once they have enough funds.

Dave

Can anyone point me to the announcement that Asia has been abandoned? This is the first I've heard of it. I've done a forum search and couldn't find it. 

Edit: Found something under a November post re OpenLC Africa. I assume that's it?

5 hours ago, DexyRed said:

Found something under a November post re OpenLC Africa. I assume that's it?

I guess so. Let's bookmark the thread here:

4 months before, Asia was still very much in the game though:

So lets just hope for the Skipper to turn the ship around again, since some more months have now passed...^-^

First of all, I love your products and it makes P3D so much better. I understand, that with the upcoming MSFS there might be concerns about the future of the OpenLC Series. But I believe, that there is still a descent number of people who want to use P3D for some time as many addons surely won’t be available upon release of the new MSFS. Definitely many people are interested in OpenLC Asia and so am I. I would like to ask you (Orbx Team) to make a poll and to reconsider your decision. 

Please RESURRECT OpenLC Asia ! 

I didn't read everything in this post but got the gist.  There have been four open LC programs.  Did they make a profit?  If so you should do number 5.  If not than no.  

This is a screen shot from the edition of  PC Pilot that came out in the last few days

and is from a very long section on Orbx - including interviews with all senior Execs 

and reviews of the latest Orbx products over 6 pages

personally - I couldn't care less about Russia Etc - but my wish - P.I.A. would be

for what we Aussies call S.E Asia - a region most of us consider Australia to be part of 

ie Thailand across to Hong Kong - and Malaysia /Philippines

JV Quote - PC pilot 127.jpg

@John Venema, if you read this thread, a suggestion.

If you're in any way serious with your comment about 2,000 pre-pays, how about setting up a dedicated thread/list somewhere here where interested parties could sign up (and maybe even commit via card). The list should be moderated so that comments are kept out, just sign-ups allowed. Maybe even make it like a funding page with a target total and progress counter, and maybe allow variable donations/fees.

I've no idea how succesfull it would actually be, but you might be surprised - there seems to be a huge amount of interest and maybe enough people would be serious enough to go ahead and commit after all. Even with the prospect of FS 2020 ahead, there are enough of us out here with a huge investment in P3D to make us want to carry on with it as a serious option, especially now with v5 out and no doubt further tweaks to come.

I suspect you wouldn't even need to worry about refunds in the event of the target not being achieved, we'd probably accept a credit on our accounts in that case anyway. Save all the fussing around.

Please consider this a serious propostion,

thanks

Firstly an LC Asia wouldn't be of any benefit for me personaly, because I have completely moved from P3d to X-Plane. Anyway, if I was still using P3d/FSX LC Asia would be an instant buy for me. However, by no means I can imagine that the odds are in favour of getting 2000 users to subscribe a prepay agreement. Just have a look at this topic. There are only around 70 replies (many of them by the same members) and a bit over 2000 views so far. 

There used to be the possibility for each forum member to create polls. I'm not sure if this is still possinle. If it is, why is not anybody of the LC Asia interested members initiating such a poll? This would clarify things.

2 hours ago, wolfko said:

Firstly an LC Asia wouldn't be of any benefit for me personaly, because I have completely moved from P3d to X-Plane. Anyway, if I was still using P3d/FSX LC Asia would be an instant buy for me. However, by no means I can imagine that the odds are in favour of getting 2000 users to subscribe a prepay agreement. Just have a look at this topic. There are only around 70 replies (many of them by the same members) and a bit over 2000 views so far. 

There used to be the possibility for each forum member to create polls. I'm not sure if this is still possinle. If it is, why is not anybody of the LC Asia interested members initiating such a poll? This would clarify things.

Until your post I was only reading but you forced me to comment - yes, I would buy anytime ;)

And I bet there is a lot of people equally interested but not feeling like commenting here and even more thise who do not even care about coming here to even read ;)

&

3 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Appreciate all the enthusiasm in wanting to get something going, but a kickstart/crowd source proposal will not happen for OLC Asia or any Orbx product. 

Hello Ed,

Ok, I understand that.  I guess you have your reasons as a Company.

But what WOULD you accept in order to see if Open LC Asia could be started - or resurrected as a viable project?   It potentially costs you nothing to respond to this idea.

Stay safe,

Regards,

Lee

1 hour ago, BAW9DV said:

Hello Ed,

Ok, I understand that.  I guess you have your reasons as a Company.

But what WOULD you accept in order to see if Open LC Asia could be started - or resurrected as a viable project?   It potentially costs you nothing to respond to this idea.

Stay safe,

Regards,

Lee

The explanation that John Heaton, above, posted seems to cover the most important reason, scarcity of reliable data, pure and simple.  This is a dead issue, imo.  Too bad.  SE Asia might be a viable alternative, though.

1 hour ago, Stewart Hobson said:

The explanation that John Heaton, above, posted seems to cover the most important reason, scarcity of reliable data, pure and simple.  This is a dead issue, imo.  Too bad.  SE Asia might be a viable alternative, though.

I guess, most of us do not need the countryside of Russia, but China, India and many countries in South East Asia as well as Japan are rather important. If they could make sort of "OpenLC Asia Lite" covering the Far East,  it would be enough for me. 
As the Olympics will now be held in 2021, I would be very happy to fly an ANA 777 to Tokyo above a truely great Japan scenery in Orbx quality. 

21 minutes ago, Luca.Schwahn said:

I guess, most of us do not need the countryside of Russia, but China, India and many countries in South East Asia as well as Japan are rather important. If they could make sort of "OpenLC Asia Lite" covering the Far East,  it would be enough for me. 
As the Olympics will know be held in 2021, I would be very happy to fly an ANA 777 to Tokyo above a truely great Japan scenery in Orbx quality. 

I would support that idea.

But as a sidenote - and that's actually the elephant in the room -, you might well be flying over a stunning representating of Japan in 2021 - using the new MSFS. Perhaps even taking off from an Orbx Haneda or Narita, who knows. 

Kind regards, Michael

Given the desolate situation of Asia, landclass-wise, and the cost and scarcity for Orbx to obtain the necessary raw data to specify which type of terrain belongs where for about 42 million square kilometers (Africa: 30 M km2), it should be obvious that we need a different solution.

The problem with the existing situation is twofold: 

• existing landclass distribution is not very exactly defined, resulting in a repetitive, inaccurate landscape
  • existing 3rd-party-products offer a better defined grid, but the allocation to the corresponding terrain textures is off because Orbx Global allocates LC differently, resulting in an unrealistic landscape, e. g. the same street village that covers the entirety of Mongolia

Regarding a possible solution, two options come to mind:

• the porting of existing textures of other OpenLC products to Asia, correctly allocated, thus forming an 'OLC Light'
  • the focus on key areas, a process analogous to the regions, e. g. Japan, Thailand etc., a 'Mini OpenLC'

A third, different solution would be a 'Community OpenLC', where we are learning to do landclass, i. e., doing an 'OpenLC Light' on our own and distribute it freely via the Orbx community. Personally, I'm willing to 'learn landclass' when someone teaches me how to allocate landclass textures. I'm rather not willing to draw textures on my own, I feel no talent for such a task. Prerequisite is the consent of Orbx, of course.

I pushed for Africa because I fly there quite a bit.  I don't fly in asia much.  When I do I have global and trees and buildings and a good mesh and landclass from a different company.   It all looks nice.  Not like an open LC but nice.

It would be interesting to know how many people fly in asia and would buy an lc asia that would be pretty expensive.  It's easy to say yeah I want it.

On 4/1/2020 at 8:40 AM, bvdboomen said:

according to the manual, only one developer was on it: Eugene Krikunov. The poor man but he did manage it to get it done.

... and how brilliant he got OLC Africa done!

5 hours ago, Luca.Schwahn said:

I second that. Or am I the 3rd, 4th or 4000th?

Hm, just one thought. I'm pretty sure there are many more simmers in Russia than in most other Asian countries. Thus an LC product including Russia would have a more solid base of buyers.

Archived