• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today at the press conference of the Italian Civil Protection to communicate the updated data of the situation in Italy the manager Angelo Borrelli was absent and today he is quarantined and has undergone a test for positivity to COVID-19 having experienced feverish symptoms. The outcome of the test is still unknown.

These are the updated data on COVID-19 in Italy :

In the last 24 hours the COVID-19 positives have been 3,491 so today in Italy there are 57,551 people positive for COVID-19.

683 died for a total of 7,504.

3,889 positives are in intensive care.

30,920 asymptomatic positives or with mild symptoms are in home isolation.

1,036 people were cured for a total of 9362.

6 hours ago, robpol471 said:

China will resume domestic passenger flights to and from Wuhan starting April 8, when travel restrictions placed on the original epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak are to be lifted, according to the Hubei provincial transportation authority.
Speaking on Wednesday, the authority's deputy head Wang Benju said that while most domestic flights will resume, all flights from Wuhan to Beijing and international destinations will remain suspended.
On Tuesday, the Hubei provincial government announced that travel restrictions on Wuhan will be lifted on April 8, and residents that have been issued green health QR codes will be able to leave the city and move about.

And they are afraid about a second incoming wave…..

A top US military medical official said the Pentagon’s modeling shows the pandemic is likely going to “continue to grow” in the next three weeks, the farthest out he said they were able to model, despite President Trump’s comments that he wanted the country “opened up” by Easter.

“We think the best way to limit that growth, or mitigate that growth, are to limit the measures that we’ve been talking about,” Joint Staff Surgeon Brig. Gen. Paul Friedrichs told reporters at the Pentagon on Wednesday. “I don’t think there’s a great deal of value in speculating on a particular day.”

Friedrichs further warned, “If we stop doing the right thing today, because we think something is going to happen in four weeks, we will make this worse. What we need to do is focus on what we individually and collectively can do today to mitigate this outbreak.”

“It’s a worrisome narrative when we try to say there’s some reason that we should question the guidance that’s being given out, or there’s some reason why we should pull apart a shared approach to this,” Friedrichs said. “I don’t think it matters what day things start to get better. What matters is what we’re doing right now to mitigate this outbreak.”

The World Health Organization is warning that opening schools and businesses too early could cause a resurgence of coronavirus.  

“We understand that these countries are now trying to assess when and how they will be able to ease these measures. The answer depends on what countries do while these population-wide measures are in place," WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

Speaking on Wednesday, Tedros said, “Asking people to stay at home and shutting down population movement is buying time and reducing the pressure on health systems. But on their own, these measures will not extinguish epidemics.”

“These measures are the best way to suppress and stop transmission, so that when restrictions are lifted, the coronavirus doesn’t resurge. The last thing any country needs is to open schools an businesses, only to be forced to close them again because of a resurgence,” he added.

"No Russian will have to go to work next week", excluding those who provide essential services and all medical personnel. It is one of the measures announced by Russian President Vladimir Putin to slow the spread of Covid-19 infections. In a speech to the nation, Putin assured that the wages of those who will not work will be paid regularly. Grocery stores, banks and pharmacies will remain open. "The health of the Russians is our priority," said Putin.

US :   At least 11 states  have reported over 100 new cases of coronavirus on Wednesday, according to updates from each state's Department of Health or state officials.

Here is the breakdown from each of these states:

New York added over 5,000 cases
New Jersey added over 700 cases
Louisiana went up 400 cases
Pennsylvania reported 276 new cases
Texas increased by 259 cases
Florida jumped over 215 cases
Georgia went up 150 cases
Ohio added 140 cases
Indiana gained 112 cases
North Carolina climbed 106 cases
Virginia added 101 cases

Hi Doug,

I really appreciated your concern for me and your kind invitation to devote myself to ... rest.:):)

In thanking those who have had the courtesy to read my posts and, dear Dug, in apologizing mainly to you, if after your post # 152 I went on posting mine, I follow your kind invitation and if it is allowed for the last time I invite you all   to " STAY HOME " if we want to defeat this damned COVID-19 because if now we can only ... fly but virtually, I hope that as soon as possible we can return as well as virtually but above all in reality to... " Volare.. volare...nel cielo dipinto di blu  (to fly ... to fly. ..in the sky  painted blue )" !

Ciao  everyone from Italy,

Roberto

7 hours ago, robpol471 said:

Hi Doug,

I really appreciated your concern for me and your kind invitation to devote myself to ... rest.:):)

In thanking those who have had the courtesy to read my posts and, dear Dug, in apologizing mainly to you, if after your post # 152 I went on posting mine, I follow your kind invitation and if it is allowed for the last time I invite you all   to " STAY HOME " if we want to defeat this damned COVID-19 because if now we can only ... fly but virtually, I hope that as soon as possible we can return as well as virtually but above all in reality to... " Volare.. volare...nel cielo dipinto di blu  (to fly ... to fly. ..in the sky  painted blue )" !

Ciao  everyone from Italy,

Roberto

Hi Roberto

I and I suspect many others, have been using your posts instead of the mainstream media (in my case the BBC and Sky which are very biased in many ways).

Please continue if you feel able!

The great English poet, author and insecure person D H Lawrence wrote a poem about the colour blue which goes:

the optimist builds himself safe inside a cell
and paints the inside walls sky-blue
and blocks up the door
and says he’s in heaven

That's me, to a tee. And probably most of us simmers!

Best wishes.

I think we could have still a lot to write here. Many arguments, many implications, media that are not informing in the correct way, at least this is my thought. Something is wrong with all this situation. The virus started from China, this is what we know, from a city that connects every part of the world, but the virus didn't hit in the same way, or at least countries reacted in the same exact way, increasing measures of restriction, but in different periods. Maybe this is the first example where the world countries are synchronized and agrees that it's a real menace. I listened a virologist who was interviewed in Italy and she said that the probability that a coronavirus passes from an animal to a human is very low, and even more low that once time the virus is inside a human body mutes in the correct way because this human body can transmit that virus to another human body. So it seems we were very unlucky. And the first time that there is a health Emergency along with a very bad economic incoming situation. It's difficult to predict what will happen after, but i seriously think that the world we knew, it won't be the same after, under many aspects.

I think you could apport your thoughts, maybe to help to understand better the situation, because in general i see that people is worried. Another thing that i noticed is that while some time ago the world "war" seemed almost prohibited in the media reports, now instead in every situation they tell we are fighting a "war", obviously against this coronavirus, an invisible enemy. And since the media usually prepare to a situation that comes after, it's not good.

Update: The US is the first in the world by contagion with 83.533 (+18.335). Following China with 81.299, Italy with 80.586, Spain with 57.786 (+8.271), Germany with 47.592 (+6.236) and France with 29.551 (+4.474).
It is speculated that from now on the USA, Spain, Germany and France will have exponential growth.

Mates, for whath seems to us, your leaders are taking insufficient measures to contain contagion, perhaps in the name of an innate liberalism in your democracies. But to extreme ills extreme remedies. Follow the advice of us Italians, who have already experienced what will happen to you in the coming days:
- Stay home as long as possible
- Exit only for urgent needs with mask and gloves
-Outside, stay at least 1.5 meters from any other person, even if they are your friend or relative.
-When you return, wash and disinfect your hands before doing anything else
All this is indispensable to decrease the chances of contagion but you will not be 100% sure anyway.
The golden rule is STAY SAFE STAY HOME !!.

Hello everyone,

As of midnight last night we are in lock down in Ireland. Everyone told to stay at home for at least the next two weeks and only allowed to go 2km for essentials and or exercise. Our hospital ICU's is near capacity. All the usual rules apply to try and contain the spread. One can only stay at home and keep busy. Our wonderful hobby is a great way to relax and pass time and as I have plenty to do I am lucky. In the face of this disaster we will prevail.

Stay safe.

John.

2 hours ago, John Mac said:

Hello everyone,

As of midnight last night we are in lock down in Ireland. Everyone told to stay at home for at least the next two weeks and only allowed to go 2km for essentials and or exercise. Our hospital ICU's is near capacity. All the usual rules apply to try and contain the spread. One can only stay at home and keep busy. Our wonderful hobby is a great way to relax and pass time and as I have plenty to do I am lucky. In the face of this disaster we will prevail.

Stay safe.

John.

Hi John

My family is in Claregalway and Cahir and they're symptomless so far. Let's hope it stays that way!

Meanwhile flying from Waterford to Clonmel, then following the Suir over Cahir and going West over the Galtees down to Kerry and up to Donegal is a pleasant way indeed to pass an afternoon. 

Wish Orbx would get Ireland done!

Best wishes.

People here in central Florida seem to be taking this seriously. I had to go the grocery store today to restock the food supply. This is the first time I've left the house in days. Very few cars on the road and almost nobody in the store. In our neighborhood we're following the Italians and the Spanish. Every day at 4 p.m. we all go outside and wave to our neighbors. It's a good way to stay connected and to be sure that everyone is OK. Never forget, we're all in this together. This isn't an Chinese problem, or an Italian problem, or a Spanish problem. Rather it's the World's problem. If we all do our part we'll eventually get through this. Take care, be safe, and frequently check on your friends and neighbors.

21 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Hi John

My family is in Claregalway and Cahir and they're symptomless so far. Let's hope it stays that way!

Meanwhile flying from Waterford to Clonmel, then following the Suir over Cahir and going West over the Galtees down to Kerry and up to Donegal is a pleasant way indeed to pass an afternoon. 

Wish Orbx would get Ireland done!

Best wishes.

Hi Fizz,

I hope you and your family and indeed anyone reading this stays safe. I was out and about in my day job travelling around the north east and it was frightening the amount of people not taking it seriously. I shall take your flight plan and give it a lash. Knock to Donegal set to summer time is a nice one I have planned.

Re Orbx Ireland as in TE, source imagery from the OSI is mad money. Hence the delay.

Take care,

John.

With the rapid increase in testing, the number of infected will certainly continue to climb.  These numbers look scary, however, the latest reports indicate that the mortality rate is 0.1-0.5%, so worse than influenza, but not much worse.  I don't believe this is anything to panic about.

By implementing travel restrictions and practicing social distancing. frequent hand washing, and staying home, I am confident that the world will beat this thing soon. 

Dave

52 minutes ago, dave302 said:

With the rapid increase in testing, the number of infected will certainly continue to climb.  These numbers look scary, however, the latest reports indicate that the mortality rate is 0.1-0.5%, so worse than influenza, but not much worse.  I don't believe this is anything to panic about.

By implementing travel restrictions and practicing social distancing. frequent hand washing, and staying home, I am confident that the world will beat this thing soon. 

Dave

Actually Dave the mortality rate is above 4% per this link:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Not sure where you get your figures?

1 hour ago, Fizzelle said:

Actually Dave the mortality rate is above 4% per this link:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Not sure where you get your figures?

I should have qualified my statement.

Admiral Giroir, Assistant Secretary of Health in the U.S., said the mortality rate is likely 0.1-0.5%.  He may be basing that only on figures here in the U.S.  I'm not sure.

I have also read reports from other doctors that the mortality rate is not nearly as high as the WHO is claiming. 

Dave

On 3/21/2020 at 4:40 PM, carlosqr said:

Not only casualties are to regret or worry about here, the economic disaster is a deep wound, something to be afraid of because it is causing havoc, instability that could lead to fatal social chaos. Being tourism the #1 source of income to the country this virus threw us to the ground.We're biting the dust. More that 600 employees have been fired, me one of them. And searching for a job at this stage is useless until not recovering a bit. If tourism doesn't improve a second round of layoffs may occur. Some other sectors industries have also fired people, Spoon for example, 100 employees. Though numbers might look small compared to other countries they are significant for a small country like ours where we suffer a unemployment rate of 12.4%. This is not a nice picture.

I'm sorry to hear this! :(

Well it's getting bad here also and my province (Quebec) is the worse one
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/info/2020/coronavirus-covid-19-pandemie-cas-carte-maladie-symptomes-propagation/

Everything is closed here except for the obvious basic need, border are also closed. Now the worse is all those Snowbird (people that go in Florida for the winter) are coming back up.

We are the second biggest country in the world size but with the less people in it (about 36 millions), by that  I mean that in general we don't live close to another.

Just south of me is the NY state.

Scary time.

9 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Thank you to all for your thoughts and reporting. I'm specially gratified to see the calm common sense shown by all. Well done, mates.

I agree Rodger: it doesn't have quite the ring about it to say, "My virus is better than your virus", or similar!

23 hours ago, dave302 said:

I should have qualified my statement.

Admiral Giroir, Assistant Secretary of Health in the U.S., said the mortality rate is likely 0.1-0.5%.  He may be basing that only on figures here in the U.S.  I'm not sure.

I have also read reports from other doctors that the mortality rate is not nearly as high as the WHO is claiming. 

Dave

Yes, he's referring to the rate in the U.S. But there is nothing to indicate that we're not going to approach, or possibly exceed, the worldwide number. Anyone who doesn't believe the WHO statistics on mortality is a fool and a major part of the problem.

Archived