How to update Orbx Central 3.0 to Orbx Central 4.0

sbclark

Bill

Maybe disabling it in scenery library does not actually disable it, I have seen many elevation issue reports caused by this addon and can't see any other possibility at this point, sorry I am surprised I didn't notice it earlier. It is definitely not an Orbx Central created issue.

Below is the latest topic I recall....you may have to do a search in your entire sim installation for the individual airport codes and .off the navaid .bgl's

Doug,

This morning I turned off the KBVS.BGL file in the fsAerodata folder. I tested the airport, and sure enough, it fixed the elevation. As it turns out, I discovered you only need to change the one BGL, that is, the one in the P3D folder (see "Make P3D Mod on just one file.jpg). I can ignore the FSX and the OLD files locations.

The rub, unfortunately, is that I have a subscription to fsAerodata on a monthly basis. Because fsAerodata was out of date, I updated the entire database. As you can see from ("After Updating to Latest fsAerodata.jpg") the KBVS.bgl.off files previously modified, are moved to the OLD file locations, and replaced by newer files. Every time I update fsAerodata, I will have to manually make a mod to each of the affected BGL files.

Currently, I am only aware of a total of 3 Orbx airports affected by this issue. The other two are KORS and KFHR. What I have to do the rest of the day, is test every airport I have, including all my large airports, from FSDreamteam, FlightBeam, etc., for example. I have a ton of Orbx small airports.

If I only find a few more, then I may stay with Orbx Central 4.x. If I find this issue in a large number of airports, or other locations, then I will have to make the hard decision as to if I need to revert back to FTX Central 3.0?

Based on my assessment, the changes made by Orbx is what caused this conflict with fsAerodata. These problems never existed before updating to Orbx Central 4x. 

BTW - I used the three above mentioned airports more than any Orbx airports.

Bill Clark  

After Updating to Latest fsAerodata.jpg

Make P3D Mod on just one file.jpg

12 hours ago, sbclark said:

Based on my assessment, the changes made by Orbx is what caused this conflict with fsAerodata. These problems never existed before updating to Orbx Central 4x. 

Hi Bill

Thanks for the information. Let’s ask @Mitchell Williamson to respond to this as FTXC3 will no longer be available in the near future.

Hello Bill,

since P3D v4.5, airport elevations have been read, as seen in the in-game scenery library, from the "top" of the scenery

library down, instead of from the "bottom" upwards, as was the case before this version was released.

This means that added navdata is read first and sets the airport elevation.

This is not good, because the navigation data does not contain the airport model, so when the airport is

displayed and its elevation is different to the elevation in the navigation update database, it displays the anomalies that

you have reported. 

I have no knowledge or indeed interest in the product that you use, but I have seen it written that if a similar product's

scenery library entries are moved to below all the airports, these anomalies will go away.

Doug,

I currently don't plan on adding anymore Orbx scenery to my setup, as I plan on staying with P3D V4.5 for a while.....so removing V3 form support should not affect me as I will not be updating anything, that is if I choose to go that route. I'm banking on the speculation, that Lockheed Martin will either move on to V5, or strike a deal with Microsoft, and move over to MS2020? This is a pure guess on my part.

Also, it appears most of the Orbx airport development, is moving developed airports to X-Plane. I have not seen much, if any development, for small airports in the Western part of the USA, where I do most of my GA flying.  I'm also being swayed by the supposed introduction of MS2020 this year, which is tempering my add-on purchases. Because I am primarily a VR pilot with my Oculus Rift S model, I have to consider the impact of scenery on frame rates. I have both Southern and Northern Regions, but they are not installed for that reason.

Attached is a PDF spreadsheet of all my airports.....as you can see I have been a big fan of Orbx.....really hard to keep track of all my scenery, see the attached.

Bill Clark

Parking Cargo and Passenger.pdf

Nick,

I like your suggestion of moving the navigation data down.

Should I move it via the P3D scenery tools (i.e., move up or down) or using the Orbx Insertion Tool? If this works, then my problems are resolved!

I like fsAerodata, as the basic nav data is really old. For example, I fly the VRS Super Hornet F-18E. Now I can load current navigation data I didn't have in the sim before, directly into the F-18E. This is pretty slick.......I can fly the F-18 on long cross country flights and use the most current ILS frequencies for airports as well as updated VOR's and way points that didn't exist when FSX was first released.

Bill Clark

Thanks to Nick and Doug for finally helping me fix this problem.

I appreciate all the time and patience both of you spent with me on this issue.

However, I did discover a better way to move the three Navigation files to place them below all the Orbx scenery files.

This morning, I moved these Navigation files manually in the P3D Scenery folder to be below Orbx scenery. Later in the day, I opened Orbx Central v4 to install Chase Plane, and then started P3D. I noticed P3D was rebuilding the scenery, I checked the Scenery folder. The Insertion Point I had previously set, caused Orbx Central to move these Navigation files back above the Orbx Scenery files where they were originally placed when this all started.

By changing the Insertion Point as is shown in the image below, Orbx Central then correctly placed the Navigation files where I wanted them, below all the Orbx scenery. This is much easier than the manual P3D method.

Bill Clark

Set Insertion Point here.jpg

Archived