How to update Orbx Central 3.0 to Orbx Central 4.0

sbclark

What are the exact steps to update my current Orbx Central 3.0 to Orbx Central 4.0.

I could not find this information on the forums. I have P3D V4.5

Bill Clark

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  Win 10

Simulator:  P3D V4.5

Screenshot:  

Issue:  How to update from Orbx Central 3.0 to 4.0 or above

Nick.

I replaced FTX V3 with the newest, but I got a slew of errors, the first time I launched P3D, here is an example of one, as they all look similar to this example:

orbx/ftx_olc\olc_na_lights\scenery\portland_Im

The only reason I updated to FTX 4.x, is so I could continue with Chase Plane, as they recently moved to your website. After hearing the horror stories when simmers rolled over to this version over this past year, I have essentially stopped buying your products, and by the way I have a ton of Orbx scenery, and have always been a big fan of your products, and I really enjoy them. I hope you can help me fix these issues as there were a lot of them?

BTW - I ran P3Dv4.5 a second time and these errors didn't occur again, so I am left feeling the transition did not go correctly, and my confidence level has been shaken!!

Bill Clark

Hello Bill,

orbx/ftx_olc\olc_na_lights\scenery\portland_Im

That file is disabled by installing PNW. Doing so has so far had no adverse effect on the simulator.

Here are a few questions.

Do you mean that your have the P3D v4 developer's error reporting active?

Apart from a "slew of errors", did you see anything wrong with the performance of the simulator?

I read also in your post that the slew of errors occurred once and has now stopped, do I understand correctly?

There is nothing I can do to address the "horror stories" and I regret that you have decided to follow

the course of action that you have.

I note that you have also turned to the Avsim Forum for expert advice on Orbx Central. 

Nick,

I have PNW installed, it has been installed for a long time, and it shows a green check mark in the Orbx Central v4.x.

These slew of errors occurred just one time, when starting and watching P3D v4.5 load the first time, after completely installing the new Orbx Central. By the way, I followed the instructions during the install of Orbx Central, and uninstalled the FTX v3.0 when requested by the new installer. As far as I know, I have never turned on P3D v4 developers reporting feature, I don't even know where it is located?

The errors never appeared again after shutting P3D down. I have have since restarted and run the sim several times with no apparent issue, yet. What I don't know, is what will happen when I have to verify all my Orbx, FlightBeam, FSDreamteam, and other payware airports to make sure nothing is broken.

And yes, I did post in the Avsim forums, but only after posting here first!! I wanted to see if others had issues and what they think.

Bill Clark

Hello Bill,

here are the two settings for you to check.

1.jpg

What I don't know, is what will happen when I have to verify all my Orbx, FlightBeam, FSDreamteam, and other payware airports to make sure nothing is broken.

I would advise you that you need to do nothing unless you identify an anomaly.

In this case, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a very good idea.

Verify files is a troubleshooting tool and not intended to be run for no reason. 

Nick,

As a precaution, when I make a major change to my sim PC, or if the change may be considered risky by me, I always make a full backup copy of my primary SSD, which includes the OS and all the simulator software. After restoring back my previous image, which was prior to upgrading to Orbx Central 4.X, I noticed the artifacts completely disappeared.

However, once again, I proceeded to follow the steps again to update to v4x, and this time, I did not experience any errors, as I updated the libraries and some airports that needed updates. I don't think I did this during the first pass. Everything seemed to go well, except that the artifacts came back. And these artifacts are scattered all over in the area between San Diego up into the Las Angeles area. Most the areas are black with orange stripes. See the attached example image attached.

I have the following Orbx scenery installed:

- BASE Pack

- OpenLC North America

However, Southern CA scenery is not installed because of the frame rate hit.

Possibly you may have an idea how to fix, otherwise, my choice is to re-image my SSD back to the when I had FTX V3.0 installed to eliminate these artifacts. Unfortunately, Chase Plane is now only available from your website, and there is no way to get, or keep the this addon up to date, without updating to Orbx Central 4X, and reinstalling it?

Bill Clark

Dark Areas with Orange strips.jpg

Hi Bill

Please Ensure the Orbx Libs are installed and up to date, and I would do a verify files of them from within Orbx Central.

I would then go to settings/help and run the Sync Simulator function.

Then you can go to settings/Insertion Point and set them like this.

Ensure all of your 3rd party non Orbx addons are at the top of your scenery library and above your FTX entries.

Then in Orbx Central Insertion points "Orbx Airports and Regions”, put your last non Orbx 3rd party listed in your scenery library addon in the INSERTED BELOW window.

Then for the "Orbx Global openLC” ensure the Orbx Airports and Regions are in the INSERTED BELOW window.

Doug,

The first two screenshots are of Orbx Central, and the last is a screenshot of P3D Scenery Library.

To be quite honest, I don't understand what I am looking at in the Orbx Central window? However, when I look at the P3D scenery library, it appears to me that all the Orbx scenery is above the 3rd Party add-on scenery.

So how do I fix, if Orbx scenery is above the 3rd party scenery, assuming I am interpreting everything correctly?

Bill Clark

1287508090_OrbxGlobalopenLCInsertedBelow.thumb.jpg.34e6d7a543f121fadc3cd50a54aa74ae.jpg467507288_P3DSceneryLibrary.thumb.jpg.f6b40462713e1ac96721d5fbeacfca89.jpg

Attached are three screenshots. The fi801471710_OrbxAirportsandRegionsInsertedBelow.thumb.jpg.c5456d21da65291d27408c9a89dcfc55.jpg

Doug,

I can access the Insertion Point Tool via settings, the problem is, is that Nick's single image provides very little information on how to actually use this tool?

In fact, the image on Nick's page looks out of date, as it differs from what I am seeing on my monitor. In the past, I remember moving scenery around in the FSX or 3D scenery folder directly. It was a pain, but after 1 or 2 hours I could have re-configured all my scenery the old fashioned way......I'm now on day 2 or 3 with this issue and no resolution? However,  no matter what I do, the Orbx scenery is still above the 3rd party items after stumbling around with the Insertion tool.

BTW - I have over 50 separate Orbx add-ons and 27 3rd Party Airports. So I have been a big fan of Orbx for many years.

Bill Clark

Doug,

I found a video that helped me set the FSAD_navaids correctly under the "Orbx Airports and Region" pull down menu. When I checked the P3D Scenery Library, now all the non-Orbx payware products are above all the Orbx products.....that was a good step in the right direction.

However, under the "Orbx Global openLC" pull down, I do not see the openLC North America entry anywhere in the drop down list? All I see all are just the 3rd party payware add-ons, but not one Orbx entry..........this seems odd?

I did run the sim again, ant the black artifacts are still there. By the way, I did the synchronize choice.

Bill Clark

4 minutes ago, sbclark said:

However, under the "Orbx Global openLC" pull down, I do not see the openLC North America entry anywhere in the drop down list? All I see all are just the 3rd party payware add-ons, but not one Orbx entry..........this seems odd?

As I suggested above, just leave this one as is which should be "Orbx Airports and Regions"

Insertion Point.PNG

Doug,

Attached are two images, one shows my insertion points, and the other the black artifacts that still remain.

I did another synchronization, but to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Bill Clark

Black Artifacts.jpg

Orbx Central Insertion Points.jpg

Thanks and my pleasure! :)

Ok, everything looks good except we need to install Orbx OblectFlow, and it requires to be installed outside of the simulator folder.

So, You will need to go to settings/Libraries and create a new Library in a location of your choosing, this is required for the installation of ObjectFlow  for Orbx Central, then it will be installed and use 7mb of space in that new folder, and everything will work properly. You do not need to use this folder for anything else, Orbx Central will then give you the choice to install your products to that folder or to the root simulator folder. Then please do a verify files of the Orbx Libraries.

OF.PNG

Doug,

I installed ObjectFlow in a new directory outside the sim and verified the Orbx library files. A library location had already been created earlier when I updated to v4x, but was empty. 

Unfortunately, the artifacts are still there.

All my original FTX 3.0 files are still installed inside P3D v4.5.

Bill Clark 

Ok, then we should do a verify files for the products of that area where the night textures (artifacts) are present. This has been a common issue with the OpenLC products, and I am assuming the area you see them is North America..I would also do a verify files of the region.

Bill

it appears installed to the One Drive directory,  I don't know if I would go that route, may or may not work. The library location that had already been created earlier that was empty would probably be better.

Also, if verifying files doesn't work, you may then need to delete the Scenery\Global\scenery\lclookup.bgl and then run verify files for Orbx Libraries again to build a new one.

Doug,

Verifying LC North America appears to have fixed the issue.

I will do more flying tomorrow, but it looks like problem solved.

Thanks so much for your help.........that takes a big load off my mind!!

Cheers to you,

Bill Clark

Doug, 

I may have spoken too soon. Although the artifacts appear to be gone, I have discovered on issue I never had before, which is deep furrow elevation issues next to runways at the following airports under the Pacific North Region:

KBVS - Skagit Airport

KORS - Orkas Island

KFHR - Friday Harbor

I did check a few other airports in Pacific Northwest, and no issues.

Of course I have not checked every Orbx airport in PNW, I have installed, but these three have for sure have this issue. I checked a couple of major airports payware, and no issue so far.

BTW, I do not have Vector installed as it hits frame rate in VR.

Bill Clark

Doug,

As it turns out my Mesh Resolution was already set to 5m in P3D.

I did run verification on KBVS Skagit and the problem still exists.

I have purchased, but not installed Vector. Would Vector fix this issue......as I know it has a feature to fix these kind of issues?

Could I de-tune some of the Vector settings to minimize the impact on VR frames?

BTW, the Orbx directory I previously selected is not in the One Drive directory, I took a look this morning at the file structure. I would assume Orbx Central would install Vector in the same directory as ObjectFlow was saved.

Bill Clark

Hi Bill

Vector may or may not fix it, but the only prerequisite for KBVS is the PNW region, so it should work without Vector, but out of the three above airports you listed, only KBVS is affected by Vector and shows up in mine in the disabled list.

You should have a scenery\world\scenery\ADE_FTX_PNW_KBVS_elevation_adjustment.BGL file? If not, maybe do a verify files of the PNW region.

If you do install Vector, please install it to the root simulator Orbx folder, and not the same directory as ObjectFlow.

And yes, Vector does have an extensive control panel that the user can disable many features.

Doug,

Vector didn't solve my problem.

On my system prior to updating to Orbx 4.x, all of my Orbx scenery has been installed into the p3D v4.5 directory.

My question is, why wouldn't object Flow Flow not be installed in the Orbx folder inside of P3D, just like Vector?

I've decided to start over by restoring my system back to what it was a few days ago, and starting over to see if I made any mistakes, or doing things a little differently to avoid these scenery elevation problems.

What I would like to really do is just update to Orbx 4.x, without making any scenery changes at all, including updating the existing Orbx library to the latest version.....can this be done? I don't know if the installer will permit this?

The only reason I am updating at all is to get the latest version of Chase Plane.

I sure am thankful that my image backup/restore software, Macrium Reflect is so reliable, that I can experiment a bit to fix my issue.

Bill Clark

22 minutes ago, sbclark said:

My question is, why wouldn't object Flow Flow not be installed in the Orbx folder inside of P3D, just like Vector?

This is required by the new system so products can be installed outside the simulator. Your issues have nothing to do ObjectFlow or Vector.

I would recommend against restoring your system back to what it was, these are minor issue that can be worked out and there is no more support for FTX Central 3.

22 minutes ago, sbclark said:

What I would like to really do is just update to Orbx 4.x, without making any scenery changes at all, including updating the existing Orbx library to the latest version.....can this be done? I don't know if the installer will permit this?

Yes, you have basically already done this.

Do you have a scenery\world\scenery\ADE_FTX_PNW_KBVS_elevation_adjustment.BGL file? If not, maybe do a verify files of the PNW region.

Doug,

The restore process is already in progress.......by tomorrow, before you look at the Orbx forums (I assume you are in Australia), I will make one more try at installing V4.x.

Until I did the migration, my scenery was fine......afterwards, three Orbx airports had elevation problems (I haven't checked all the airports I have to see if there are more issues).

I will check to see scenery\world\scenery\ADE_FTX_PNW_KBVS_elevation_adjustment.BGL once install Orbx 4.x? Any idea how fix the other two airports KORS and KFHR? 

Bill Clark

Bill

I am in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and it is 8pm here now.

The transition for the majority is as simple as you imagined.

There is no need to disturb anything already installed.

The only new thing is the create a library for Objectflow, and setting the insertion points...nothing different than using the FTX Central 3. 

I think a lot of users imagine this huge transition that is not the case.

Unfortunately you are experiencing minor issues that are not common.

Doug,

BTW - I am on Pacific Coast time and live in a city near San Diego CA. 

After restoring my system, I successfully installed Orbx Central 4x. I performed all the items you suggested in this thread, such as setting the Insertion point correctly and verifying the following items just to mention a few of them:

KBVS

Pacific Northwest

openLC North America (this updated some files)

Orbx Library

I did not install Vector this time.

The file you wanted me to check on is where it is supposed to be - scenery\world\scenery\ADE_FTX_PNW_KBVS_elevation_adjustment.BGL file

I have also attached "fresh" copies of CFG files you had requested before as well since this is a brand new configuration after the system restore.

I will wait to see what suggestions you make next as the elevation issues still exist at KBVS, KORS, KFHR?

Bill Clark

add-ons.cfg scenery.cfg scenery_add-ons.xml

Archived