Just dropping in

tennyson

Hey Orbx People.

I haven't posted here, much for a long while. For those that remember me, I built a 737NG cockpit and ORBX allowed me to post all of my progress in 3 rather amazingly long threads, which totalled over 500000 views.

I haven't been idle in the last few months, I drop in here very day and check out what is happening in your neck of the woods and watch the steady progress of the most brilliant Scenery based company in the world.

I decided, over 12 months ago, to upgrade my cockpit from the 737-800 to the latest Boeing 737 MAX8. (please, no comments about the real plane or the saga surrounding MAX)

It has been my most ambitious project to date.

I sold off most of my original NG parts and scratch built the MAX MIP. I compiled drawings from original photo's and plans and tech drew all of the necessary panels in autocad.

I then took them off to a laser cutting business and after two iterations, I had a working prototype.

I decided that Sismo Solutions were the people to buy all of my modules from, so I designed the MIP to suit. I also sourced 15 inch monitors worldwide, suitable for the job.

My son and I bought into the world of 3D printing and began the tedious job of learning the skills and manufacturing all of the support parts for the MIP.

Cut a long story short, we are racing towards a finish date. All of the necessary parts have fallen into place and I am hoping to have the fully functional cockpit, together with MAX throttle, Pedestal and both forward and rear overheads finished by mid-2020.

We have a selected Avionics suite on the horizon, as well as a new flight simulator platform, which has already shapen up to be our target visuals.

It's all been exciting and full of precarious investment, but we have never shied away from either of those things in Flight simming.

I just finished our latest trailer for the upcoming sim, so if you wanna take a look at some of the progress we made in the past 12 months, head over to our youtube channel for a look. Many of my old friends from here, are already subscribers there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whqx7wAQtQ4&t=5s

Take care, great to still be lurking around and sharing the passion with all of you fellow enthusiasts and looking forward to a really bright future for simming….

Frank

G'day Frank.  I was just showing a work colleague a couple of your videos the other day, and needless to say he was blown away by your home cockpit.  You must really love the build process as much as you do flying to do it all over again.  The new cockpit sounds amazing.  Can't wait to see some videos.

Cheers,

Thanx Guys.

Nice to be back, Iain. Always a seat in the sim for you, mate, anytime you come to Brissie.

Scott, It isn't so much the joy of manufacture any more for me. I love that I still have the skills and it's a great outlet, but it has honestly been a struggle with failing health. I recently had a stint in hospital with fluid in the heart cavity and pneumonia. That slowed my progress down to a crawl.

I knew when I started this project off last year, that it would be a all on or nothing, but as usual, it kept growing.

My biggest downfall is that I want so badly to just fly in the cockpit, but my desire to achieve the highest degree of immersion and reality overcomes it and I start tweaking.

I've been blessed with the most fantastic family, who have helped enormously and an incredible wife who has faith in my ability to see the project through and remain fiscally sensible about it all. 

So, as far as the video's go, we are all set up with new GoPro 8 with all the media accessories this time around, so we'll be shooting 4K every video and editing in Premiere Pro.

As long as the guys from ORBX don't mind, I'll pop the url's over here, in case anyone is interested in seeing what's going on....

Frank

Great update Frank, and nice to see you around again. Also, happy to hear that you are over the health issue and are/or getting better. And lastly, the loving and understanding family makes it all the better to enjoy your passion. Great stuff! 

Always a good read Frank. My hat goes off to you ...... you are indeed a dedicated enthusiast, but give your health the highest priority - and good to hear you’re OK again. Will continue to follow your progress with renewed interest.
Go well and cheers.

Thank you, guys. I am hoping that the biggest upgrade Ive ever done, pays off. I still need some major events to take place and some key features to fall into place. Some of the stuff happening in the wings, I'm not at liberty to discuss, but the excitement levels are fever pitch here.

I am nearing the nd of the formal build process, I have all my major components either finished or very near. 

From a technical point of view, my swap to Sismo Solutions modules was the best thing I did. Their quality of components is second to none, in the cockpit building business and their unending devotion to the MAX project, was amazing. Added to that, their costs were very competitive and the sales and after sales were exemplary.

However, apart from all of that great stuff, their dedication to network baseplates, instead of the ago old, problematic USB, has been a god send.

I've managed to reduce half of the clutter of cables and IO cards in the back of all the major components, like the pedestal, overheads and the MIP.

So far, from the testing I've done, the system is the future, certainly for me.

The next part of the exercise will come a little later in the year, when we finally see the release of MSFS 2020. I have a list of wish list components for a new main PC that will be used for the graphics, but it's subject to change. 

My secondary PC, which will run all of my peripherals, such as the 4 big 15 inch MIP screens and the CDU's, is all set up and tested and ready to run the Avionics suite as soon as it's released.

Finally, my foyer area that used to present our older 737-800NG Pseudo Airline, is also undergoing a spruce up and a new graphic for the wall is under way. We'll also slap a new coat of colour on the foyer and give it a new MAX look.

I will not forget to put up a few pics and some vids as the time goes by, I know you guys have been keen supporters for a long while.

I'm still an avid follower (fan boy) of ORBX (always will be) and look for ward to their advancing role in the new flight simming industry that will be happening this year...

Take care, fellow ORBX friends,

Frank

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2020 at 3:19 PM, tennyson said:

It isn't so much the joy of manufacture any more for me. I love that I still have the skills and it's a great outlet, but it has honestly been a struggle with failing health. I recently had a stint in hospital with fluid in the heart cavity and pneumonia. That slowed my progress down to a crawl.

I've been blessed with the most fantastic family, who have helped enormously and an incredible wife who has faith in my ability to see the project through and remain fiscally sensible about it all. 

It is really sad to learn that Frank will not be able to continue his pleasure and the interesting contributions to our community. I miss words.

On 4/4/2020 at 7:04 PM, Stillwater said:

It is really sad to learn that Frank will not be able to continue his pleasure and the interesting contributions to our community. I miss words.

I did not really understand what you meant with sbove post, Gerold. Only just now I have read in the Neil Hill Memorial Lounge about Frank's passing on last Thursday. This is really sad news. RIP Frank.

Archived