Further problems since migration

westbros

Operating system:  Windows 10

Simulator:  Prepar3D v4.5

Screenshot:  

Issue:  Hi. I recently upgraded to Orbx Central from FTX Central 3. I also migrated most of my Orbx products from my small C drive to my much larger D drive. Since then I have been noticing problems in several addon airport sceneries.

For one thing there seems to be elevation issues - I realise that this can often be sorted out through the Vector AEC, although this doesn't always work and I have to physically remove the airport vector bgl file from the directory. All of the adjustments that I had previously made with Vector were lost when the migration took place, and I will now have to check and adjust every airport individually. It's a shame that we weren't warned that this would happen when migrating, as I would have made a note of what adjustments I had made before starting the migration. 

The main issue that I would like to raise today is that I seem to be getting default scenery popping up in my addons, like default jetways for example, or the aircraft position seems to be wrong (aircraft sitting with its nose inside the terminal building for example), or I'm getting floating airport vehicles (Flytampa Amsterdam). All of this has appeared since the migration. I have also spotted that many of my Orbx products now sit at the top of my scenery library and that you have now implemented the xml method which makes it impossible to move the scenery layers up or down. At the top of my scenery library are Orbx Libraries followed by my Orbx airports. After that comes Orbx England and then Open LC Europe. All of my other non-Orbx addons sit below all of this. Vector and Base all sit towards the bottom of the scenery library, as does FreeMesh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that many airport addons need to be positioned higher in the library than things like regional sceneries. I'm pretty certain that my Orbx products like Open LC Europe were previously positioned much lower in the library, and we could move them because the xml method wasn't used. Could the new layering be causing my problems?

I would appreciate your advice. I was assured by you that the previous issues with the migration that many people had complained about had been fixed with the latest version of Orbx Central. For me it has been anything but a smooth transition (check out my previous posting). Thanks. 

central.log

Hi!

If you had an insertion point set in FTX Central 3, you'll need to set it again in Orbx Central. 

In Orbx Central under Settings, Insertion Point, set "Orbx Airports and Regions" to be inserted below your lowest third-party airport (which I believe is MKS-Fuerte2017 P3Dv4 in your case). You do not need to change the openLC insertion point and can leave it at "Orbx Airports and Regions".

Hi Mitchell.

I thought of that too after I made the posting, and did exactly that. However this made no difference to the problems I was experiencing with Flytampa Copenhagen and Amsterdam. I have now had to reinstall those sceneries to fix the problem. I'm fairly certain I have a problem with Justsim Brussels, and I may have to reinstall that too. I am going to have to check every single addon airport to check that they are working correctly. I cannot prove that these problems have been caused by the migration, but they have certainly all appeared since the migration. I suspect it may be to do with all the changes to scenery.cfg. 

Adrian

Hi.

Yes. I ran that shortly after the migration. However the AEC tool isn't infallible - see the following posting about the Aerosoft Madeira scenery and the impact that Vector has on it:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/120871-madeira-mesh-mega-topic/

We have to make a manual adjustment after every time we have run AEC, because otherwise Vector completely screws up the scenery. To avoid this I have resorted to removing the offending files. 

As further evidence of what I am saying, I have discovered problems this morning with both Fangzahn's Zakinthos (LGZA) and MK-Studios Fuerteventura (GCFV). AEC doesn't even seem to recognise LGZA at all as it doesn't appear in the enabled or disabled lists. I had to remove the Vector file for LGZA manually, and now it works. GCFV was showing in the disabled column, but was still giving elevation issues - so I moved it to enabled - no change. So now I have had to reinstall the scenery to fix the problem. I have a feeling there may be a problem with MK-Studios Tenerife South (GCTS), but will check that later. 

This is not good. As I said before, I was assured by Nick that these problems had been fixed. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally managed to go through all of my addon sceneries, and have to report that I have had to reinstall around half of them. Orbx sceneries do not seem to be affected (of course!), but many others displayed an overlap of the addon and default airport scenery, and incorrect parking positions. Some had problems with floating airport objects and other elevation issues which the Vector AEC could not fix. 

While I appreciate the migration option, for you to claim that the function is now fixed of all problems with the latest version of Orbx Central is misleading. I acknowledge that during the migration process you advise not to continue if the Orbx sceneries are working correctly. However it is not the Orbx sceneries that are the problem here - it is the effect that the migration process appears to have on non-Orbx sceneries. 

I would appreciate comments by Orbx on the matter.  Thank you. 

On 3/3/2020 at 4:14 AM, westbros said:

While I appreciate the migration option, for you to claim that the function is now fixed of all problems with the latest version of Orbx Central is misleading. I acknowledge that during the migration process you advise not to continue if the Orbx sceneries are working correctly. However it is not the Orbx sceneries that are the problem here - it is the effect that the migration process appears to have on non-Orbx sceneries. 

We do not modify any third-party content apart from modifying their layer in add-on.xmls to maintain compatibility.

In Orbx Central can you run 'Sync Simulator' under Settings, Help and then attach your Central log file? This will let me see your scenery layering and suggest if there may be a cause for this.

Archived