New Kos (LGKO) scenery doesn't display

Mac6737

I hope I am not getting tedious with scenery problems, but after about a year of delightful simming with Orbx, it seems every scenery DL brings problems.

This time, it's Kos (LGKO), just rolled out by Orbx.  Bought it and installed it.  But wait, at the install stage, Orbx Central said this scenery cannot be installed in a simulator, but must be put in a library.  My only library (I think) is "Main Library." So that's where I put it.

It does not show up in the sim.  The screenshot I will post here is thin gruel compared to the lavish screen shots in the Orbx adverts.  So I'm thinking the new scenery is not enabled.  What must I do?

Thanks all,

Mac6737   

Kos.jpg

13 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

please try creating another library and install it into there.

Thank you, Nick.

Well, I'm trying.

I have re-read the Orbx Central user guide.  I find it opaque, at best, and must ask for further clarification.

1.  First:  the Kos installation guide says this: "Once you have purchased LGKO it will be added to your account and you can have Orbx Central download and install it for you. The appropriate scenery library entries will also be managed by Orbx Central."  Please confirm whether this statement is operative.  That's what I tried to do, but I was required to choose a location (but NOT in P3Dv4) and so I put it in the only other choice -- what Orbx Central calls “Main Library.”  After that, I posted the cry for help to which you have responded.

2.  In "My Account," Orbx Central says Kos is “installed and up to date.”  Maybe, but Windows File Explorer could not find it.  That’s because the user (me) would have no way of knowing the NAME OF THE FOLDER!  Also, there is in fact no “Main Library” folder.  Long story short: I finally found “LGKO Kos International Airport” here: C:\users\Me\Orbx Library\P3Dv4.  Well, we know the sim wasn’t finding it there, so: --

3.  You suggested I try “creating another library.”  Back to the manual: Trying to work around the numerous (and, I say, confusing) prohibitions on p. 19, after about 8 tries, I succeeded in creating "C:\Library" and moving “LGKO Kos International Airport” to it.

4.  Then I booted up.  First it asked me if I wished to enable Objectflow 2.  Yes.  Then I peeked in the scenery library: no Kos anywhere.  So I tried to “add scenery.”  Browsed to my new Library and added Kos. 

5.  Then I went to LGKO in the sim, but got an error message: “Can’t find area 212’s local scenery directory . . . [specifying the pathway to the SCENERY folder within LGKO].  Do you want to unload this scenery?”  NO.

6.  Click OK.  LGKO is just as before, with the same unadorned terminal in my last screenshot.  In other words, this new scenery is still not displaying.

Nick, I’m sure you can sense my frustration.  I have now spent 8 hours on this simple scenery purchase.  I first put LGKO where the installer required, and I have now put it in a new Library, as you suggested, all to no avail. Time was, you could install Orbx scenery, open the sim and find it.  No more.

Do you, or someone else on this forum, have any other ideas?

Thank you,

Mac6737

Hi

LGKO does not get installed to the conventional scenery library, it is installed via the .xml method and will show in the P3D add-ons menu.

LGKO.PNG

So you will need to reverse the self inflicted error you created when you did the below...

"Then I peeked in the scenery library: no Kos anywhere.  So I tried to “add scenery.”  Browsed to my new Library and added Kos. 

5.  Then I went to LGKO in the sim, but got an error message: “Can’t find area 212’s local scenery directory . . . [specifying the pathway to the SCENERY folder within LGKO].  Do you want to unload this scenery?”  NO."

And select yes to unload this scenery...

Then you will need to go to settings/Libraries and create a new Library in a location of your choosing, this is required for the installation of ObjectFlow  for Orbx Central, then it will be installed and use 7mb of space in that new folder, and everything will work properly. You do not need to use this folder for anything else, Orbx Central will then give you the choice to install your products to that folder or to the root simulator folder (except for LGKO and KSUN, which can only be installed to an external library).

Then ensure Orbx ObjectFlow is properly installed and activated, and that there is only one instance of it as per the below topic.

16 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

LGKO does not get installed to the conventional scenery library, it is installed via the .xml method and will show in the P3D add-ons menu.

Then you will need to go to settings/Libraries and create a new Library in a location of your choosing, this is required for the installation of ObjectFlow  for Orbx Central, then it will be installed and use 7mb of space in that new folder, and everything will work properly.

Doug,

Sorry, I don't understand these comments.  As stated in ¶1 of my last post, I did what the LGKO/Kos installer told me to do.  I do not know what "the .xml method" is.  Are you saying I must do something other than use the installer?  Assuming that gets a "no," the installer gives only two choices: to P3D or to a "Library."  And, as you say, LGKO cannot be installed to the root simulator folder.  I knew that, and put it in the only other choice offered: a library.

As matters stand, Kos is in the library I created, following Nick's earlier device.    I have already put it in the new library I created, as Nick advised.  And, as required by the Orbx Central manual, I had to create a new directory in order to create a new library.  Are you saying I must now uninstall LGKO?  If, so, how do I reinstall?

As for my "self-inflicted error": actually, I answered "No" 2d time around.  First time around, I did indeed click "Yes" to unload, and the scenery did not display.  So, there were 2 choices, and I tried them both.  Neither helped.

Your second comment seems to tell me to do what I have already done.  It is unclear to me, however, what that library has to do with ObjectFlow.  You seem to be saying I must put ObjectFlow in that same library.  Is that right?

Finally, there are now NO instances of ObjectFlow in the Add-ons menu.  There used to be.  The only thing in Add-ons now is "SODE."

Thanks for your attention.

Mac6737

Hi

ObjectFlow is required and needs to be installed to a library for your products to work.

Please go to My Products/Misc/Orbx and install Object Flow to the same library you created for LGKO.

Then do a verify files of LGKO.

When LGKO is installed correctly it will show in the Add-ons menu as in my above image.

When products are installed via the .xml method they show in the Add-ons menu, and not necessarily the scenery library.

59 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

When products are installed via the .xml method they show in the Add-ons menu, and not necessarily the scenery library.

Doug,

Please give me a break.  I have already told you: I don't know what "the .xml method" is.  Not the vaguest!

Also, I have just posted another request for help on the P3D forum: I can no longer access my Orbx Central account.  It just gives me this error message:

"An error occurred when fetching the "Fastlane" status: Forbidden."  No reason, out of the blue.  So, I can't do what you advise, at least not now.

As to ObjectFlow:  Look, I had no problem with ObjectFlow before I purchased LGKO.  With or without ObjectFlow in a library, everything was fine before.  Assuming I can recover access to my Orbx Central account, I have ZERO IDEA how to move it to a library.

Please understand: simming is a hobby for me.

Thanks for your attention,

Mac6737    

Sorry, just trying to help. simming is a hobby for me as well, and I know you will figure it out when you decide you want to. :):)

I guess you are going to need to put some effort into learning what the .xml install method is, it is not just an Orbx thing...it is part of the hobby. :)

20 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Sorry, just trying to help. simming is a hobby for me as well, and I know you will figure it out when you decide you want to. :):)

I guess you are going to need to put some effort into learning what the .xml install method is, it is not just an Orbx thing...it is part of the hobby. :)

Doug,

I will not respond to this in kind.  >:(  I come to these forums for help in good faith, as do other Orbx customers. 

So please consider this:  I have been simming since the 1980s (FS 2, on an Apple IIc).  I have downloaded dozens of sceneries and aircraft, including a few dozen from Orbx, mostly without difficulty.  If the .xml method is "part of the hobby," I have somehow enjoyed the hobby at a reasonable level of sophistication without having encountered .xml previously.  And whether or not my degree of diligence meets your high standards, I do think that Orbx should stand behind the statements in its product literature, including this one, from the Kos installation directions:

"Once you have purchased LGKO it will be added to your account and you can have Orbx Central download and install it for you. The appropriate scenery library entries will also be managed by Orbx Central."

Thank you for your attention.

Mac6737  

2 hours ago, Mac6737 said:

"Once you have purchased LGKO it will be added to your account and you can have Orbx Central download and install it for you. The appropriate scenery library entries will also be managed by Orbx Central."

This is exactly correct and how it is installed for everyone else, except the "scenery library entries" are in the Add-ons menu, not the old style conventional scenery library you are used to seeing.

The .xml method was not in use back in the day, it has become popular just recently when LM decided to incorporate it into P3D in response to the overwhelming requests of most other simmers, the .xml method allows us to install the sceneries outside the simulator so they don't have to be reinstalled when the simulator is reinstalled or updated.

Maybe the reason you could not find it initially was because you were not aware that it was not installed to the simulator?

You will start to notice that more and more add-ons for our simulators will be only available for install using the .xml method, you don't necessarily need to do anything different to install as Orbx Central will take care of it, but you will need to just be aware of what is happening and where to look.  

Hello Mac6737 ,

There are two methods of installation that can be used to install airports into P3D v4.

One is the conventional method, placing the product files inside the P3D v4 root folder

and using a scenery library entry to reference them to the simulator, so that they can be displayed. 

In this case, the product will appear in the scenery library with tick box to its left which can be ticked

or not ticked in the scenery library and the entry can be moved up or down by the user.

The other method, used with this product, is to install the product files outside the P3D v4 folder, in

the case of Orbx Central, into an Orbx Central Library.

These files are referenced to the simulator by an .xml file instead of a scenery.cfg file.

They do appear in the same in game scenery library but their tick box is grayed out and they cannot

be enabled or disabled or moved.

They can however be seen and enabled or disabled in the add-ons list.

This can be accessed from the Add-ons tab on the scenario screen or the in game Options\add-ons

drop down menu.

Left to its own devices, Orbx Central installs Kos into an Orbx Central Libraryand the next time P3D v4

is started, the add-ons menu item is created and the product appears in the simulator, just as advertised.

I see that your installation of Orbx Central is now working, so perhaps you could uninstall Kos and

start again.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 8:44 PM, Doug Sawatzky said:

This is exactly correct and how it is installed for everyone else, except the "scenery library entries" are in the Add-ons menu, not the old style conventional scenery library you are used to seeing.

Terrific!  Except that, as you can see from this thread, I added Kos to a Library ("Main Library"), and not to P3D v.4 -- as I was  warned by the instructions.  Nevertheless, it did not display. 

18 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I see that your installation of Orbx Central is now working, so perhaps you could uninstall Kos and

start again.

Yup.  I appreciate your diligence in noticing what goes on in other threads.  Hard to believe that Orbx Central can be flummoxed by something in the Windows clock function.  Who knew?

For reasons I cannot comprehend, when I opened P3D today, the Add-ons menu was dramatically changed.  Also, in my Orbx account, LGKO Kos was uninstalled.  I have no idea how, or by whom, but so be it. 

As you have previously advised, I created a Library NOT in the "Main Library," (which is not in fact a folder), and when I rest up I'll try to reinstall Kos to the Library I have created i/a/w your previous advice.

Thank you as always,

Mac6737

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:26 PM, Doug Sawatzky said:

Sorry, yes unfortunately, maybe try Nick's above advice.

Doug,

I think I'm getting warmer.  I established a separate library for LGKO, as instructed in the Orbx Manual.  However, ObjectFlow 2 is NOT in that library.  So I'm thinking I should put LGKO in the same library as ObjectFlow2, and I think that's what you have advised.

BUT, before I do, I note that on startup, with LGKO enabled, I get an error message (described above), that says it can't find Area 138's scenery folder, and prompts me to unload.  I just looked in the LGKO folder: There IS no scenery folder!  My other airports in P3D have scenery folders (e.g., KJAC, YBUD).  Could it be that I am missing part of the download to begin with?

Mac6737  

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 3:53 AM, Nick Cooper said:

start again.

Nick,

OK, but is it safe to "uninstall" an airport by simply deleting the folder?  I see that most of my Orbx products have an "Uninstall" option in Orbx Central.

LGKO (Kos) does not; the only option there is "Install."  Apparently, Orbx Central does not know (or has forgotten) that I moved LGKO to a separate library as advised by you and Doug on this forum.

Should I delete the LGKO in that library? Or simply reinstall from Orbx Central?

Mac6737

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 3:26 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

if the only option is install, then it is not yet installed, or as you have apparently done,

the user has intervened.

Nick,

SUCCESS! (And it only took 8 days!)

For the annals:

1.  I moved the previous download to my desktop.  (Hence, Orbx Central regarded it as uninstalled, as you suggest.)

2.  In Orbx Central, I clicked Install.  This gave me 2 choices:  (1) "Main Library" (no such folder): or (2) "Kos" (no such folder).

3.  Selected "Kos," and booted up.  Prompted to Enable Kos.  The airport is now there, all ground vehicles busy.  Looks great!

4.  My first and unsuccessful DL, last week, was to "Main Library," at the time the ONLY choice aside from the P3D folder itself.

5.  When that did not work, following advice here, I established a new library at C:\LIBRARY, in accordance with what I understood to be required by the Orbx Central Manual.

6.  Moved Kos download to the new library.  It still did not display.

7.  My second download (yesterday) somehow went to the new Library I had previously created.  Don't ask me why, but it worked.  So it seems the DL worked when Orbx Central downloaded to the new library, but NOT when I had moved the same folder into it manually.

8.  For the record, and with all respect to Doug: ObjectFlow 2 is NOT in that library, but appears to work fine.

Thanks as always for your help.    

Mac6737

LGKO Kos Intl Airport.jpg

Archived