YGLA - Gladstone - Queensland

Mile High

Just wondering how many people were aware that Queensland's Gladstone airport had an ILS system, one of the very few outside of the major airports. Even McKay doesn't have the ILS system. We also don't seem to have any photo-real airport scenery for YGLA either. #justsaying.

YGLA seems to be one of those airports that just got looked over for development.

Cheers

YGLA ILS.PNG

Coolangatta had to fight to get one, and they have international heavies as traffic. Heavy rain squalls is the main reason for requesting it.

Very tongue in cheek, is it because of the smelter's pollution that Gladstone has it :blink:?

2 hours ago, tom said:

(read older) simmers

Hello Tom,

I'm with you, I would not like to be young nowadays.

You will need a program called Airport Design Editor free by Scruffy Duck. Once installed it is in C: MSFS. At start select which Sim if you have more than one.

From File select Open Airport from BGL. For YGLA cycle to Sim - Orbx - FTX_AU - FTXAUv2_05_SCENERY - scenery, then scroll down to ADE_FTX_AUS_YGLA.

Right click and copy onto the Desktop, create an empty folder and place it in there as a backup. In ADE select that file to load it.

Place your cursor on the left side of the runway and right click, select Add - ILS, in the box Rwy 10, change the Ident to IGL and the frequency to 110.9, I set the Range at 30 NM.

Your choice to Enable Back Course or not. Right click on the left boundary beyond the runway and select Add - VOR. I set the name to Gladstone and the Range to 50 NM, change the Ident to GLA and the frequency to 116.3. All of these details are on the Airport Data sheets, as shown by Mile High.

Once satisfied click the Compile button and Save the project. Open C: MSFS - sim project folder, Right click and copy the BGL file onto your desktop. Rename to match the original that you saved in the empty folder, be sure the name matches exactly. Open your Sim – FTXAUv2_05 Scenery – scenery folder, drag in and overwrite the original.

You will enjoy the satisfaction when it all comes together :)

You can Right click the ADE icon in MSFS and drag to the Desktop and Create shortcut here.

Thanks for your time here Smudger .... it appears to be at the edge of what I’m prepared to have a go at ..... when I have an afternoon free, I’ll 

possibly give it a shot. I can imagine the “satisfaction when it all comes together”.

Cheers.

Hmmm.  In doing some further research on this, I stumbled across this.  It seems the ILS at Gladstone is going to be decommissioned in February 2020.  (Sometimes it can be a real pain trying to keep up with changes and keep everything as current as you can keep it.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link:  Gladstone Airport Changes to Approach Procedures

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gladstone Airport Changes to Approach Procedures

What is going to change?

Airservices will implement changes to approach procedures for aircraft arriving to Runway 10 at Gladstone Airport.

The pattern of aircraft arriving to Gladstone Airport may change, however the majority of aircraft arriving to Runway 10 will continue to operate as they currently do.

For more information on the changes please see our fact sheet.

Why are the changes necessary?

Since 2007, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has encouraged its members to implement approach procedures with vertical (straight up and down) guidance to improve safety for aircraft arriving at airports.

One way to do this is to make it possible for aircraft to use Baro-VNAV technology. BARO-VNAV stands for Barometric vertical navigation.

Baro-VNAV is a technology available on most large modern aircraft. It allows aircraft to land more smoothly, without using ground based navigation equipment. It also reduces the workload for pilots and decreases their reliance on visual assessments on approach, making landing safer. Baro-VNAV approaches reduce the frequency of an aircraft needing to either circle or complete a missed approach as they give pilots greater accuracy.

The Gladstone Airport Instrument Landing System (ILS) will be decommissioned in early 2020 and the existing RNAV procedure will be amended to enable aircraft to use Baro-VNAV, providing the safety and operational benefits that this will bring.

When will this change occur?

These changes are planned for late February 2020.

Released 14 January 2020

12 hours ago, freddy said:

It seems the ILS at Gladstone is going to be decommissioned in February 2020.

Ce la vie Freddy, we have no chance in keeping up :banghead:

But is Baro-VNAV technology available in Flight sims yet, a refinement on the RNAV procedure ?

7 hours ago, Smudger said:

Ce la vie Freddy, we have no chance in keeping up :banghead:

But is Baro-VNAV technology available in Flight sims yet, a refinement on the RNAV procedure ?

Agreed.  No chance.  One is constantly chasing one's own tail trying to keep up.

I don't believe I've seen Baro-VNAV in any sim that I've flown. I don't even recall seeing it on charts that I've used. And I am no real-world pilot to comment on the procedure as being a refinement of RNAV or not.  Some web pages discussing it mention it in conjunction with RNAV, and others do not.

For now, I'm keeping the ILS installed at Gladstone.  The problem comes when the ILS is decommissioned at the real-life airport and then the AIRAC cycles remove it too. Of course that's only an issue if you keep your AIRAC cycles up to date, which, many people do do these days.  I suppose in the end it gets back to the question of how up to date do you want your sim to be and how hard you're willing to chase your own tail. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

The ILS at YGLA was told in the local newspaper to be decommissioned because it would save the Gladstone Airport corporation owned by the local council $200.000 a year. No mention that I recall on other procedures being better or safer. The Alliance Virgin Focker F70 flys out of YGLA and anybody who has watched it take-off and land would say it requires good weather conditions. I've seen the F70 go within 100 metres of the end of the runway before the wheels were off the ground. I fly Qantas.

On 2/5/2020 at 1:38 PM, freddy said:

Hmmm.  In doing some further research on this, I stumbled across this.  It seems the ILS at Gladstone is going to be decommissioned in February 2020.  (Sometimes it can be a real pain trying to keep up with changes and keep everything as current as you can keep it.)

Why are the changes necessary?

Since 2007, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has encouraged its members to implement approach procedures with vertical (straight up and down) guidance to improve safety for aircraft arriving at airports.

One way to do this is to make it possible for aircraft to use Baro-VNAV technology. BARO-VNAV stands for Barometric vertical navigation.

Baro-VNAV is a technology available on most large modern aircraft. It allows aircraft to land more smoothly, without using ground based navigation equipment. It also reduces the workload for pilots and decreases their reliance on visual assessments on approach, making landing safer. Baro-VNAV approaches reduce the frequency of an aircraft needing to either circle or complete a missed approach as they give pilots greater accuracy.

The sad aspect of the above is that it applies to " large " aircraft fitted with FMS  , approved airports , airports with applicable Barometric equipment installed , and suitably trained pilots .

Whereas the old ILS was installed in a host of aircraft , even some of the smaller GA types , and it's operation was included in the normal IFR rating .

About 5 or 6 years ago I created an instrument to replicate the AILA fitted to the F-111 aircraft , as a result of that I expanded it to include a Synthetic ILS  , 

this instrument accesses the airport data that resides in the Flight Simulator database for all of about 24,491 airports .

You select or enter the 4 character airport ICAO , then select the runway that you desire , then select the runway end that you desire ,

it calculates the Lat/Long of the ILS aimpoint (touchdown spot) precisely at 6% of the runway length , all distances , bearings , data , and ILS guidance are then

relative to that aimpoint .

Attached shot depicts Synthetic ILS approach to Gladstone YGLA with ILS centered in the left hand MFD .

Note: Plate elevation 59' , database elevation 64' .

Cheers

Karol

fsx 2010-08-26 15-13-54-64.jpg

Archived