True Earth Improvements

bcrawley57

I must say I spent all day downloading the True Earth South update yesterday, what a difference.  I was so disappointed after installing it when it was first released, the first ORBX product I was unhappy with. Whatever the developers have done have transformed this scenery to make it useable and beautiful.   As a result I am now downloading TE North and Central, so another day of no flying lol.  Hurry up and roll out full fibre here BT.  Can’t wait I to see my home town etc in True Earth.

Thank you for sticking with it and well done to the developers.  Also thank you for the launch offer, it’s made my week

Brian Crawley

I agree based on the early testing I have done the frames are probably double what I got before. All be it not tried a complex jet just yet. 

The extra POIs are great too, seeing football grounds to help locate where you are for example is an improvement and even on higher settings it works much better. 

Will have to invest in the other two now! :D

I can confirm that the FPS has improved a lot. Kudos to the team.

Activating scenery shadows is possible now. Though, I haven't been in London yet but I did fly in the Southampton area. :)

But there're still some things I would like to see to be improved:

Airfield undergrounds - remove airplanes in photoreal and aline the polygons with the PR taxiways and runways. I don't mind seeing the FTX England CVX there.

Photo real Compression - I think this can't be done within the scope and budget of the product without completely recompiling the PR and files size will grow a lot.

Cheers,

Ben.

Thanks a lot to the developers!

It's a pleasure now using TE GB; just doing a flight EGHI - EGPH. Super performance and a stunning visual sight all around! Even the London area is good useable; hust did a turn around EGLC. It was a pleasure discovering its surroundings.

Merry christmas to you and your families!

Kai

1 hour ago, PhilReynolds said:

What sort of specs are we looking at to run this without it becoming a slide show?

Thanks, Phil.

Hi Nick, it's a fairly old rig I'm afraid, although I do seem to be able to run most add-ons without too many issues and a little "massaging"!

Intel i5-3570k @ 3.8GHz

8GB RAM

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I have the old Gen-X with treescapes at the moment with no problems.

Cheers.

The settings available in this new version of TEGB South, also applied to the other two parts, should

allow the products to run satisfactorily on most systems without too much of a loss of detail.

There will be a lot more "3d" objects than in what you are using now but you can use the P3D sliders

to manage the amount.

13 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

The settings available in this new version of TEGB South, also applied to the other two parts, should

allow the products to run satisfactorily on most systems without too much of a loss of detail.

There will be a lot more "3d" objects than in what you are using now but you can use the P3D sliders

to manage the amount.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the response. What's the policy on refunds, should I purchase and find it won't run satisfactorily?

Cheers.

20 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

The policy is that unless the product is faulty, there are no refunds.

The application of that policy is sometimes a little more flexible.

I can only ask you to make your own and hopefully now informed

decision. 

Hi Nick,

Fully understandable, many thanks for the info.

Cheers.

40 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

The policy is that unless the product is faulty, there are no refunds.

The application of that policy is sometimes a little more flexible.

I can only ask you to make your own and hopefully now informed

decision. 

Hi Nick,

Just one more question, I promise!

If I just purchase the cheaper TE South first to check performance, can I still get the remaining two products at the bundle price a few days later?

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

The settings available in this new version of TEGB South, also applied to the other two parts

Ha ha, ok that is why I didn't see anything as adjustment in North and Central, I didn't install South yet....
So it's south that as the adjustment and will apply to central and north... ok

Used nearly my whole month's bandwidth downloading but I must say what an improvement!

London looks brilliant.

My test was PMDG QOTSII taking off West from EGLC. Settings as standard in TE and to the high side of medium in P3D.

FPS previously: around 7- 15.

Now: never once dropped under 22, (locked at 30).

Only thing missing in my test was any serious weather.

Still don't see a proper Bedford, though. (No St.Paul's) Maybe next time.

Wow! What a difference with TE GB South!

Just did a flight taking off from Stapleford and then on in to Kent via the QEII bridge. Framerates are much better than they were with v1. Like Jamie, mine were almost doubled - and best of all blurries are almost eliminated! Didn't go anywhere near Central London, and I was only flying Ants Drifter, so not exactly the most taxing aircraft, but this is seriously better than v1. Can't wait to explore the Lake District, Peak District, West Coast of Scotland etc.

Well done to the development team, and thank you!

Steve

On 12/21/2019 at 8:45 PM, Cannow said:

agree just testing Southampton big improvement , only fault I can find so far is portsmooth spinnaker tower not lit at night like last version . But well done team.

Strange co-incidence - in That although Have to admit not trying Portsmouth at night - 

I have now got TE South  comparisons of Portsmouth in all 3 sceneries - TE South for XP

and TE South versions 1 and 2.

Version 2 came out much better than V1 - and both were better than the XP version

It was in the same position over Gosford Ferry terminal taking in a fair chunk of Gosford - and the naval yards

From the POI "point of view" rather unique to se the QE aircraft carrier both in dock and the Solent !!!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, looks like I missed this one:

On 12/21/2019 at 11:26 AM, bvdboomen said:

Airfield undergrounds - remove airplanes in photoreal and aline the polygons with the PR taxiways and runways. I don't mind seeing the FTX England CVX there.

Note that most of the airports have been done a long time ago by Neil Hill who left us a while ago (see Neil Hill memorial lounge). He (later on joined by Chris Clack) but an insane amount of work into those airports. Far beyond what would ever be commercially reasonable. Because they are so great and and still look a heck of a lot better than default airports, we have included them in the True Earth regions as well but they won't receive any further updates. Which is also the reason why we don't advertise them on the product page.

Unfortunately drawing CVX grass polygons over PR scenery is not possible. P3D will always draw PR over CVX no matter what. The only polygons that could be drawn over PR are the hard shaped ones like asphalt polygons - which would look very 90ies style for grass bodies.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:26 AM, bvdboomen said:

Photo real Compression - I think this can't be done within the scope and budget of the product without completely recompiling the PR and files size will grow a lot.

If anything the P3D file compression for the TE regions shine against the X Plane version. :)

We have settled at the optimum compression setting between a minimum filesize and a minimum number of compression artifacts in the imagery.

Bests,

Sascha

Hi,

First, I'd like to thank Sascha for the above explanations as that is something I've also been meaning to ask about. One more question I have is about the roads. I understand that the vector road functionality in P3D is way behind what's available in XP, so there's no chance of multi-level crossings, etc., but the question is: is there any workable alternative to having just the photoreal background without any vector road overlay?

Cheers,

Tym

Thank you very much for the comprehensive comments Sascha. This really makes sense. I didn't know that P3D works with that kind of priority.

The second item, compression, is also clear and in the meantime, I received an indication that TE GB is SD which I compared with TE NL which is HD.

Not knowing at the time of purchase of TE GBS being SD, I was a bit disappointed about the texture quality because I expected the same quality as TE NL. But with the knowledge I have now, I can accept that.

Many thanks for the explanation!

Cheers,

Ben.

23 hours ago, TymK said:

is there any workable alternative to having just the photoreal background without any vector road overlay?

I'm afraid not.

There may be some ancient techniques (FS8 like...) that place vector roads on top as kind of 3D models that will flicker and be horrible on performance. But for the smooth CVX vectors that follow the terrain it's simply not possible to draw them above PR imagery.

Bests,

Sascha

Archived